Powder research

Got an idea? Need an invention?
Slew
TDF Staff Alumni
TDF Staff Alumni

Re: Powder research

Post by Slew »

Maviarab wrote:
-Ragnar66- wrote:Tried initially with standard talcum but figured my skin (more so the "sensible" parts) reacted with some allergies. 8O So got instantly rid of it, washed my toys intensively and used corn starch since then. Yet just on certain body parts, not all powdered up. I´m fairly fine with my dolls skin even if slightly sticky (I do baby oil and vaseline maintenance on a frequent basis). Just if I read talcum is compared with asbestos, I get more like just uneasy feeling....
The asbestos claims were purely North America based. Never even made the news here in the UK/Euro. Also, this was also primarily linked to cancer within females, not males. A sper usual, the amount of media misinformation around (and on here also) is astounding.

You will be fine with talc/baby powder...unless your throwing half a bottle around your room with no ventilation (bit then neither would cornstarch be healthy either lol) ;)
I'm sorry if I misunderstand, but I'm not sure I can agree about 'misinformation'.. Being US based studies, does that negate any plausibility? Does it have to make the papers in the UK to become a real concern?

I assert that talc is not fit to consume. For best results, humans should neither breath it nor swallow it.

Anyhow, it's not just women and their ovaries, the concern for me is the lungs, not restrictive to gender. I've read dozens of articles about this subject and they all pretty much say the same thing, which is that while in recent years, studies show talc is largely free of asbestos, it remains a potential risk during mining and processing the talc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talc#Safety
Talc powder is a household item, sold globally for use in personal hygiene and cosmetics. Suspicions have been raised that its use contributes to certain types of disease, mainly cancers of the ovaries and lungs. It is classified as a group 3 agent in the IARC listing.[13] Reviews by Cancer Research UK and the American Cancer Society conclude that some studies have found a link, but other studies have not.[14][15]

The studies discuss pulmonary issues,[16] lung cancer,[17][18] and ovarian cancer.[19] One of these, published in 1993, was a US National Toxicology Program report, which found that cosmetic grade talc containing no asbestos-like fibres was correlated with tumor formation in rats forced to inhale talc for 6 hours a day, five days a week over at least 113 weeks.[17] A 1971 paper found particles of talc embedded in 75% of the ovarian tumors studied.[20] Research published in 1995 and 2000 concluded that it was plausible that talc could cause ovarian cancer, but no conclusive evidence was shown.[21][22]
Industrial grade

In the United States, the Occupational Safety and Health Administration and National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health have set occupational exposure limits to respirable talc dusts at 2 mg/m3 over an eight-hour workday. At levels of 1000 mg/m3, inhalation of talc is considered immediately dangerous to life and health.[23]
Food grade

The United States Food and Drug Administration considers talc (magnesium silicate) generally recognized as safe (GRAS) to use as an anticaking agent in table salt in concentrations smaller than 2%.[24]
Association with asbestos

One particular issue with commercial use of talc is its frequent co-location in underground deposits with asbestos ore. Asbestos is a general term for different types of fibrous silicate minerals, desirable in construction for their heat resistant properties.[25] There are six varieties of asbestos; the most common variety in manufacturing, white asbestos, is in the serpentine family.[26] Serpentine minerals are sheet silicates; although not in the serpentine family, talc is also a sheet silicate, with two sheets connected by magnesium cations. The frequent co-location of talc deposits with asbestos may result in contamination of mined talc with white asbestos, which poses serious health risks when dispersed into the air and inhaled. Stringent quality control since 1976, including separating cosmetic- and food-grade talc from "industrial"-grade talc, has largely eliminated this issue, but it remains a potential hazard requiring mitigation in the mining and processing of talc.[27] A 2010 US FDA survey failed to find asbestos in a variety of talc-containing products.[28] A 2018 Reuters investigation has asserted that pharmaceuticals company Johnson & Johnson knew for decades that there was asbestos in its baby powder.[29]

Maviarab
Doll Patriarch
Doll Patriarch

Post by Maviarab »

You do misunderstand. The cancer scare, lawsuits etc...were restricted to North America. Doesn't have to make the newspapers here...it wasn't even a concern to begin with here. The asbestos claims were North America only...so as per usual, obviously a slightly different product between the regions. Didn't even raise an eyebrow here and to my knowledge, sales were not affected and everyone still uses the stuff.

Breathing any powder-based product is highly inadvisable. Trace amounts will do you no more harm than anything else in the environment. As for the cancer claims, this was directed towards women as being an issue. Men were not affected by these 'claims'.

Does that make my post a little clearer? Millions upon millions of people have been using the stuff for half a century....we're not all dead or dying or suffering lung issues. Again...you puff the bottle all over the damn room and literally (and liberally) cover your girl and room in anything...it ain't gonna be too healthy for ya lol. Sorry, but not using because of health issues is beyond my logic given everything in the environment, your home, your car (which you get into every day) that will kill you. Not possibly....will.

(Edit: It did make the papers here...and was forgotten about. Again..this was a US thing. And it's been largely and predominantly asbestos free since the 1970's. This is a product in it's raw form that has been used for thousands of years back to the Egyptians. Can't be that bad for ya eh?)

Slew
TDF Staff Alumni
TDF Staff Alumni

Post by Slew »

Yeah, I think I still disagree with the argument that it's no big deal and just because lots of people are doing something that it's the best thing to do or even okay to do. However, I also avoid second-hand cigarette smoke and excessive gasoline fumes. They give me a headache. I might be more sensitive to that sort of thing, I don't know. But I do remember reading that talc was linked to instances of lung cancer when there was prolonged exposure. Yes, this was in the US, but here again, I've not known the mining and processing is that different in the UK, although it might be. If you have a link to share I'm eager to know.

To your point about millions of people using it for half a century, you can't prove all of those people had no ill-effects from their exposure over time. At least some of them might have and not ever known or had it diagnosed. In short it's very difficult to know exactly how dangerous the stuff is/was.

I surrender that it's up to everyone how to take care of their health and breathing, and if they like to use talc so be it. But if cornstarch is available, even a slight chance of health issues or discomfort makes talc a poor choice overall.

If you were forced to eat a bowl of either talc soup or cornstarch soup, which would you rather? :wink:

Maviarab
Doll Patriarch
Doll Patriarch

Post by Maviarab »

Not sure I'd fancy eating either of those to be honest hahaha... :)

Slew
TDF Staff Alumni
TDF Staff Alumni

Post by Slew »

I have to agree neither sound appetising. :)

SN162A085T
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by SN162A085T »

Honestly did anyone really read that whole post?

Here's what I know, if it's safe for a baby, it's safe enough for my doll. Talcum powder hasn't contained (nautually occurring) asbestos since the 80s. And if you're really worried about it just check to see if your baby powder is manufactured by Johnson & Johnson company on the back of the label and you're Off to the Races.

But actually, you don't even need to use baby powder ever if you keep your doll in a bodysuit. You can buy these online and they fit just like a whole body pantyhose. Feels very nice to the touch, very realistic just like if your girl was wearing a silky leotard. The powder protects the skin from abrasions as it allows other substrates to slide across it without damage. It also is a great deterrent for removing lint and stray hairs. Just keep in mind it's for external use only. so as long as you don't go pouring it between two slices of bread and so as long as you don't go pouring it between two slices of bread and calling at lunch, you should be okay.
Doll Enthusiast, Creator, Distrupter Since 2013. - Meet Eve:

Slew
TDF Staff Alumni
TDF Staff Alumni

Post by Slew »

We are all welcome to our opinions about powder. Yeah, part of my thing on talc is that I might enjoy to put my mouth on my doll from time to time, and talc is really not tasty at all. My cornstarch blend tastes great though, it's called burt's bees honey dust.

Anyhow, nice idea about the bodysuit. :thumbs_up:

INFORMATIONS