Let's Say I'm About to Make a Doll...

Got an idea? Need an invention?
Hillary_Hartwick
Basic Poster
Basic Poster

Let's Say I'm About to Make a Doll...

Post by Hillary_Hartwick »

Let's say I'm about to make a doll.

To begin with I possess some skills, some related experience, pre production preparations, and a doll laboratory comprised of essential equipment and materials.

I have better than average artistic skills that I have honed for many years like manual dexterity, which I apply to things like drafting prototypes on paper and sculpting clay heads & faces.

My partner (hubby) planned out and purchased a doll making lab that includes equipment like an airbrush (dual-action) & compressor, power-drill (w/mixing attachment), spatulas, manual dispensing gun & static mixers, safety glasses, long-sleeve occupational shirts, denim aprons, sculpting needles.

We got materials such as Ecoflex 00-10, Dragon Skin FX Pro, Slacker, Silc Pig, Psycho Paint, Sculpey Clay (Living Doll)

We also have lifecasting materials like Body Double standard set, Body Double release cream, and Gypsona bandages (4 & 8 inches).

Other equipment on the way includes Vacuum & Degassing chamber that pulls 29inches of Mercury/min (after deciding on which silicone to stick with--we may not need it) and portable table saw (after first prototype sale).

We've read names of other things that we're unsure we need like but not limited to Isopropyl, Acetone, Resin, etc.

Question is...

What (if anything) are we missing?

P.S. We're not doing skeletons at the moment. So should our girls flop about or if possible have a foam core?

Additional questions:

Should I use diluent when sculpting with Sculpey Clay?

Am I using my sculpted head as the casting model?

Where can we find models for lifecasting? We've tried craigslist and Model Mayhem. We were booted both times.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. You'll be seeing a lot of me and my husband around here. Thanks.

-Hillary Hartwick

BuilderOfCastles

Re: Let's Say I'm About to Make a Doll...

Post by BuilderOfCastles »

What you are missing is everything that you really need.

#1 A goal.

In all that i read, i didn't read anywhere about a goal.
Such as, we want to enter the doll market as a manufacturer.
And that goal can be broken down into steps, such as
  1. build a head that fits WM dolls
  2. Sell heads
  3. Get feedback
  4. build body
  5. sell body
  6. make money...

#2 Actual mold making equipment.

You have listed a bunch of (very) short run (and expensive) model making equipment / chemicals.
You haven't mentioned any actual manufacturing level mold making stuff.
Fiberglass? Aluminum? Alignment pins and sleeves?

#3 Actual experience.

You have no experience and so you are asking questions that really go nowhere.
So, i suggest you sculpt a head, and then cast a head. Something small is the way to go.
Think it all the way through.
What are you going to use for the internal structure of the head/skull?
Since you are going down the lines of silicone, you only cast a skin on top of something.
What is that something?
How will you support the eyes?
What about teeth? Single cast, or double cast?
Moveable jaw?

These things are all built off of iterative mold making / casting / failure.

abbadon31

Post by abbadon31 »

First off finding someone to life cast and getting the rights to use their life cast as a sex doll is going to be a hurtle if your going that route.

I would start with some kinda base as a ducktape dummy or a mannequin to sculpt on.

You will want to figure out your support system that's going to go under the silicone. No one will really want a floppy doll that buckles under its own weight that you can't position.

Like building a pyramid you start from the base to the top not from the top to the base.

TheDollCollector
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by TheDollCollector »

Want to find a model for life casting? I originally found my models on model mayhem but I also do photography so they didn't boot me off. I was able to get two that way that didn't mind. I can give you lots of other suggestions for finding a good model. Go to college campuses and find a model there I was able to do that a couple times. You can just put up ads, suggest payment (college students are always looking for internships or some cash), or even find an art student who just wants to be part of it to learn it themselves. You can also go to local gyms to look for a fitness models. There are plenty of other ways.. modeling agencies and so on think outside the box. That should get you started in the right direction if you're set on life-casting.
Current Lineup
Gynoid Elina Model 12 155cm (2021)
EXdoll Utopia Chiyou Fawn & Utopia Rainbow 145cm minus (2024)

Looking For
Tayu 148 D+

JamesWorld

Post by JamesWorld »

I am approaching the same idea as you. I can't afford to buy a doll and am exploring building my own.

I assume, based on your equipment list, you have watched several videos about mold making using those products. I recognize those products and have watched them myself. Smooth-On has some good videos on youtube.

I can sculpt as well, but to save time I looked into using mannequins as a body model. They are cheap at walmart with good body contours... breast, ribs, abs... but are all 5 foot 9 inches, which will create a very heavy doll.

You definitely need to consider using a skeleton. without one legs and arms have no structure and will totally flop around. SexDollHoney has a good picture if this link doesn't transfer https://sexdollhoney.com/how-to-take-ca ... -sex-doll/

and if you cannot find a life model to cast from, you will certainly need a strong skeleton to apply clay to when sculpting your own mold.

As i said, I intend to work on my own doll... I will be watching this post to hear your progress and success

Hershey lee
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by Hershey lee »

I just started sculpting about a month ago myself just need to smooth her out,making the skeleton now but parts are hard to find,good luck on your doll!

Grimmiekins
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by Grimmiekins »

I would say start small, maybe try making a foot to get the hang of making a mold, and casting a product. This way you are not out of a lot money and supplies

Thirsha42
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by Thirsha42 »

abbadon31 wrote:First off finding someone to life cast and getting the rights to use their life cast as a sex doll is going to be a hurtle if your going that route.
I was wondering about that and how one goes about getting the rights to use some else’s body. What I found is a huge lack of law regarding the body. Everything I could find, which was next to zilch, focused on a person’s face and even then the law only applies to certain people and only in specific situations. I say specific but the law and court rulings are kinda vague. It seems to me and I asked a lawyer I know for help with this that only certain people like actors, and only really well known actors, can claim ownership of their likeness (face) and retain the rights to its use but the list of exceptions I long. If you are going to sell you doll you can’t use an actors face but if it is a personal doll you can but you can’t post tons of pictures of the naked doll but you can if it is clothed and “artistic” unless those pictures damage the person’s reputation then you can’t. You see how complicated this legal area is. As for bodies, the only applicable law I could find said that no one can own, and therefore sell, their own bodies or parts of it. This was done to keep people from selling their kidney but it seems it also means that you cannot own the likeness of your body. The most relevant court case I could find on the matter was the civil suit Ellen Page filed because the programmers put her likeness, face on a nude body they made that violated their agreement that she would not appear nude but it settled and the court never ruled on the question. It seems to me that once you pay someone to model for you you own that model as if it were “work for hire” art. That would apply also if you were to sell the dolls.

abbadon31

Post by abbadon31 »

Even with model release the model can change their mind down the line an win in court. Now a days damage to person’s reputation can be almost anything. Yes the model is all happy at the time, till backlash from family and friends come in to play. I've been down this route many times already, why I use dolls for certain shoots. ;)

Grimmiekins
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by Grimmiekins »

should try using an old mannequin, look for one that has a great looking body.

rubherkitty
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle
Location: Interstate 44 with 10 long-haired Friends a' Jesus In a chartreuse micra-bus

Post by rubherkitty »

I'm using a young teen size fiberglass mannequin as my base model. I'll add some length to bring her up to 5' + bigger ass & tits. Better hands, feet and small details. Labia major will need to be designed for insert use.
Going downtown. Gonna see my gal. Gonna sing her a song. I'm gonna show her my ding dong! C&C

BuilderOfCastles

abbadon31 wrote:Even with model release the model can change their mind down the line an win in court. Now a days damage to person’s reputation can be almost anything. Yes the model is all happy at the time, till backlash from family and friends come in to play. I've been down this route many times already, why I use dolls for certain shoots. ;)

I have heard / seen this too many times.

You paid for the model, the clothes the studio, and think you own the picture... but no.
Instead, you don't own anything, and now have a liability for damages you could never have guessed.

I too am figuring on using dolls for product adverts.

Its like the original agreement means nothing in a court.

BuilderOfCastles

Maybe i should look into building skeletons for sale.

Most of my ideas are for skeleton design improvements.
But my thoughts have always been, well, what do you do with a better skeleton? Practically nothing.

How much would people be willing to pay of a skeleton that was at least as good as DS's?

DollFan789

Post by DollFan789 »

BuilderOfCastles wrote:Maybe i should look into building skeletons for sale.

Most of my ideas are for skeleton design improvements.
But my thoughts have always been, well, what do you do with a better skeleton? Practically nothing.

How much would people be willing to pay of a skeleton that was at least as good as DS's?
I would pay close to 1000 or even more if it could be adjusted between loose and not loose joints and was thousands of miles better quality then what we currently get in mass produced dolls today. I only speak for myself though.

BuilderOfCastles

DollFan789 wrote: I would pay close to 1000 or even more if it could be adjusted between loose and not loose joints and was thousands of miles better quality then what we currently get in mass produced dolls today. I only speak for myself though.

You and many other people.

However, if i was paid to make it, that first one would be $100,000
and i may fail. The skeleton may fail.

Soooo... i will just work at getting a shop back together and keep building better things until its done.

The other problem is...
So, thats $1500 for a doll with the old skeleton
and $2500 for a doll with the new skeleton.

And without having owned a doll before, would you spend 2x as much... for something you will never see?

Me, i am sold on DS dolls... because i just find their skeleton beautiful.
(except for the skeleton that i want to build)

INFORMATIONS