Starpery.com

Stronger skin

Got an idea? Need an invention?
Thirsha42
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Stronger skin

Post by Thirsha42 »

Has anyone tried using Powermesh or spandex to reinforce silicone skin before? I was looking at some home made suture practice skin and the durability of Ecoflex with Powermesh looked really good.

BuilderOfCastles

Re: Stronger skin

Post by BuilderOfCastles »

The problem is getting the mesh inside.

Lets talk about just the skeleton and a TPE casting.
So, you build the skeleton and wrap it so that the TPE doesn't get inside the joints.

Then you place the skeleton inside the mold. Suspending it in place with wires.
It absolutely has to be in the exact correct position.
And after you close the mold up, you can't see where the skeleton is.
You have no idea if you have messed up until you have wasted a ton of TPE.

So, you get the skeleton centred and then you bolt the other half of the mold over it.
Then you pour in hot, molten TPE.

- -- - - - --

You see, where in this process can you apply some, basically, nylon netting?
There isn't a good way to suspend this substance before or during the pour.

And that is why it isn't used.

Figure out a way to that, and it'll be done.

Probably easier with silicone dolls, as the silicone is just a skin layer.
But still, we are talking about multiple molds. Multiple steps. Instead of just one.
(and each step means more chance of failure.)

abbadon31

Post by abbadon31 »

Its would be an extra layer you would have to cut threw to make repairs to the skeleton.

JamesWorld

Post by JamesWorld »

don't go by me, ive not tried it yet, just watched videos of people making their own bodies.

ive seen them paint the inside of the mold with silicone (to prevent bubbles) before doing the full pour. Couldn't a strengthening material be added at this point?

I guess if it worked, they'd already be doing it.

Thirsha42
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by Thirsha42 »

JamesWorld wrote: I guess if it worked, they'd already be doing it.
We need to remember that even if it works the factories won’t do it unless it works financially. The DIY crowd only does things after one person tries it and reports the results.

locombo
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by locombo »

Yes, I have done this with silicones (Ecoflex & DragonSkin) and have generally been impressed with the results. I've done this for casting small parts or to patch a BT doll, so I can't say how feasible it is for casting an entire doll. In that case, some sort of 3d mesh might be easier, unless you specifically want the skin to feel like a distinct layer that slides over the bulk material.

In particular, I have made a couple of heads in this way. In my hands, it was possible to make cheeks with a much better combination of strength, softness and resistance to pressure (opposite of "compliance") by including the mesh. If you don't need it to be able to stretch much more than actual human skin, then many woven fabrics (not just Power-Mesh) should work.

I first created the skin by pouring a thin layer of the mixed liquid onto the mesh (spread out fully, but not stretched). I then wrapped the skin around a hard plastic skull (with articulated jaw). The first time, I used all one sheet. The second time, I split up the skin into a few pieces and mounted the two cheek sections onto the maxilla and mandible.

The main thing I was trying to achieve in this dabbling exercise was to create a soft oral activity that could stretch open (thousands of times without tearing) while under a natural level of vacuum. It did seem to work pretty well for that purpose, but I haven't (yet) evaluated it at all rigorously.

Has anyone successfully combined a TPE and a mesh to create a skin?

INFORMATIONS