Starpery.com

Tired of low quality

Got an idea? Need an invention?
Just1more

Tired of low quality

Post by Just1more »

OK... Probably a stupid question.
Why not make a dolls skeleton out of a really good quality braided wire?
At least, at the joints?
There are braided wires and cables that would EASILY support the weight and allow for a much greater range of posing.
A little stiff? No problem! Push harder, cause you DON'T have a joint to break!
Yes, they will degrade over the YEARS, depending on use.
Wire packs between joints.
"Joint breaks."
Cut, unscrew, remove, re-place, seal.
New "joint" for another 10 years or more.
Run the wires into the fingers and toes, with a LOOP on the end, to avoid puncture issues.
Put the loop right under the fingernail and toenail.
FULLY POSABLE fingers and toes.
The cost difference would/SHOULD be negligible.
Would work with standing, or non-standing models.
The manufactures will continue making what SELLS.
Until the DOLL community rises up, and demands BETTER from manufactures, we're still gonna get the same old thing.

BuilderOfCastles

Re: Tired of low quality

Post by BuilderOfCastles »

Down below, they are working on just that... but as replacement wires

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=110832

There are some really big problems with casting around the skeleton.
For one, you have to put the skeleton in the mold precisely. Andy you have to be even more precise with the fingers.
Thus the straight wires.

There is a video out there where a guy is positioning every finger inside the mold, and its long and painful.

However, we of the doll community would really really like better skeletons. Especially the hands.

People think it would be easy to injection mold finger bones... but TPE is cast hot, and that will melt most plastics (at least deform) and that just will end up with a mess.

So, what's left? Machined metal finger bones? And, maybe that is what we should use.

Naraya
Doll
Doll

Post by Naraya »

I'm all for the metal skeletal hands.

My love confirms that he would've paid extra for it.

Doesn't have to be an elaborate reproduction of the skeleton either.

Something as simple as metal shafts & ball joints with tension could work, no?

BuilderOfCastles

Ball joints are a PAIN to make in metal. Friggen easy in injection molding.

But i want to hold my doll's hand! And pose her lots, and...

so i will keep working on it.

rubherkitty
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle
Location: Interstate 44 with 10 long-haired Friends a' Jesus In a chartreuse micra-bus

Post by rubherkitty »

and generally, ball joints are made to move freely in many directions. Not too good for fingers if you want to pose them.

Hello BuilderOfCastles.
I've been checking out a lot of your helpful post. Glad to have you as a new member! :glou:
Going downtown. Gonna see my gal. Gonna sing her a song. I'm gonna show her my ding dong! C&C

JamesWorld

Post by JamesWorld »

BuilderOfCastles wrote:Down below, they are working on just that... but as replacement wires

Awesome! that's what I was just about to say... metal bones cast over the wire, leaving the wire exposed at the joints for flexibility
BuilderOfCastles wrote:There is a video out there where a guy is positioning every finger inside the mold, and its long and painful.
If the joints are stiff, couldn't the hand be placed in a jig to form them into place before being put into the mold?

rubherkitty
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle
Location: Interstate 44 with 10 long-haired Friends a' Jesus In a chartreuse micra-bus

Post by rubherkitty »

JamesWorld wrote:
BuilderOfCastles wrote:Down below, they are working on just that... but as replacement wires

Awesome! that's what I was just about to say... metal bones cast over the wire, leaving the wire exposed at the joints for flexibility
BuilderOfCastles wrote:There is a video out there where a guy is positioning every finger inside the mold, and its long and painful.
If the joints are stiff, couldn't the hand be placed in a jig to form them into place before being put into the mold?
No matter how good you think the hand skeleton will stay in place, there is a chance for it to get out of place due to the huge task of clamping the mold halves together and standing the mold up for pouring. And if a couple finger skeletons shift to one edge of the mold, the finger casting is fudged. Every bit of the skeleton must be aligned and secured correctly.

Pic courtesy of Abyss
Attachments
doll mold.PNG
doll mold.PNG (458.6 KiB) Viewed 1585 times
Going downtown. Gonna see my gal. Gonna sing her a song. I'm gonna show her my ding dong! C&C

BuilderOfCastles

rubherkitty wrote:
No matter how good you think the hand skeleton will stay in place, there is a chance for it to get out of place due to the huge task of clamping the mold halves together and standing the mold up for pouring. And if a couple finger skeletons shift to one edge of the mold, the finger casting is fudged. Every bit of the skeleton must be aligned and secured correctly.

Pic courtesy of Abyss

LOOK at all those clamps!
And those aren't little clamps.
I want everyone who is thinking of casting their own doll to engrave into their minds all of those clamps.

Thanks for the picture.

MannyCan
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by MannyCan »

we vote with our money .. that the nature of capitalism
people don't want good skeletons
they want pretty faces and ample features

I bought mine because I prioritized quality; particularly the quality of the skeleton. And I've been very happy about that part.

INFORMATIONS