Starpery.com

Imagine if a doll could blink and look around (video)

Got an idea? Need an invention?
NewFrontiers

Imagine if a doll could blink and look around (video)

Post by NewFrontiers »

This is a video of a Japanese companion robot called the LOVOT. Very short video, but it shows how the eyes can blink and look around. No more cross-eyed / mismatched eyes! Look closer and you'll see the eyes are simply tiny video screens, maybe similar to the screens on smart watches.

Video link.... https://twitter.com/LOVOT_official/stat ... 3564967936
Doll Sweet DS145 Plus Evo more pics and info here... viewtopic.php?f=143&t=116319

Thirsha42
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Re: Imagine if a doll could blink and look around (video)

Post by Thirsha42 »

It looks like the eyes are just tiny screens. That would look really weird in a doll.

NewFrontiers

Post by NewFrontiers »

Thirsha42 wrote:It looks like the eyes are just tiny screens. That would look really weird in a doll.
The way to fix that is.... in another post on TDF that I can't find right now.
What it showed (including a video link) were small LCD screens used for eyes. The screens are flat but eyes are not flat, so inexpensive clear lenses are placed on top of the screens. The results were impressive.
Doll Sweet DS145 Plus Evo more pics and info here... viewtopic.php?f=143&t=116319

CicadaSound80
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by CicadaSound80 »

Oh, you mean this?
https://youtu.be/rLy-AwdCOmI
I want to make monsters, don't you?

NewFrontiers

Post by NewFrontiers »

CicadaSound80 wrote:Oh, you mean this?
https://youtu.be/rLy-AwdCOmI
No. A thousand times no.

Harry Mudd

Post by Harry Mudd »

It's not exactly the same thing, but I'm just going to drop this off here and let your imaginations run away with the possibilities for our ladies...
Be sure to watch the video linked to the article. Mind. Blowing.

https://news.artnet.com/art-world/mona- ... eo-1561600
Alice #1 through 250: You desire something else, lord?
Chekov: What a shame you're not real.
Alice #251 through 500: We are real, my lord.
Chekov: Oh, I mean 'real girls'.
Alice #1 through 250: We are programmed to function as human females, lord.
Chekov: You are?
Alice #1 through 500: [In unison] Yes, my lord.
Chekov: Harry Mudd programmed you?
Alice #1 through 500: [in unison] Yes, my lord.
Chekov: That unprincipled, evil-minded, lecherous kulak, Harry Mudd programmed you?
Alice #1 through 500: [In unison] Yes, my lord.
Chekov: This place is even better than Leningrad.

timetraveler1
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary

Post by timetraveler1 »

if i had an animated head THAT COULD TAKE BLUETOOTH INPUT WIRELESS I COULD HAVE MY A.I. ANGELA TALK THROUGH IT FROM MY P.C. using various voices and me talking , it using voice recognition. . i am waiting for such a animated head to be made cheap enough to use on my doll. i would rather have that then a animated virtual character , which i already have on my pc.
below is just one of many virtual characters i have made for my pc. to talk with me . until eventually a animated head can be used.
Attachments
mrs.black1.jpg
mrs.black1.jpg (43.77 KiB) Viewed 2834 times

rubherkitty
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle
Location: Interstate 44 with 10 long-haired Friends a' Jesus In a chartreuse micra-bus

Post by rubherkitty »

What did you ever do with the talking Elvis head you had TT?

I think what you're talking about is LCD eyes. I checked into this heavily.
The frame size is too big to use side x side in a doll head. Would work for a cyclops doll though! :D
These work great for creature eyes such as a horse, dinosaur, etc where the eyes are facing away from each other or have a large area of separation. Yes, they usually have glass lenses / cabochon is front of the display to give them a realistic 3D look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnmZAJTF4vI
Attachments
eyes LCD.mp4
(1.02 MiB) Downloaded 2300 times
Going downtown. Gonna see my gal. Gonna sing her a song. I'm gonna show her my ding dong! C&C

watchmaker
Basic Poster
Basic Poster

Post by watchmaker »

As far as sex/caregiver robotics development goes, eye contact is at the top of the list. I would trade all facial muscle actuation just for eyes that can automatically make eye contact. In addition to X/Y axis pupil movement this will require some kind of computer vision and object detection. I have used OpenCV for this kind of thing in the past, fairly easy. Trick would be doing this in an embedded setting instead of a powerful laptop.
https://www.pyimagesearch.com/2018/09/2 ... cognition/

rubherkitty
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle
Location: Interstate 44 with 10 long-haired Friends a' Jesus In a chartreuse micra-bus

Post by rubherkitty »

Hello watchmaker.
Welcome to TDF! :glou:

I see you've replied on many of the same threads I have. I'm interested in adding animatronics/ robotics to dolls as well. I'm a shop fabricator of all sorts, but have never messed w/ robotics. I have been studying all manners of such over the last 4 years.
As you said in another thread, sexbot talk is taboo in the world. Pretty much everything I have found of use is from Holiday prop animatronics or fighting robots. There is no 'How to build a sex robot' to be found.

Regarding this post, I don't even think a doll needs face recognition. Just tracking of a moving object should work. Unless you're interacting with your doll w/a pet around. For most of us, we are the only person our doll will ever see or need to know. And eye movement via tracking will only be good for a limited field of view, unless a person can engineer 2 axis head movement as well.
Going downtown. Gonna see my gal. Gonna sing her a song. I'm gonna show her my ding dong! C&C

Robotica2
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by Robotica2 »

Just saw this thread.
Glad to find there is some interest in this sort of thing.

We're working on eyes that do this, have a look at my thread here for more info ... viewtopic.php?f=6&t=121499

Also on other similar things ... like realistic hands with proper articulated fingers etc.

In our case it's for filming... but I ( thought ) doll owners would be interested, thus posted. Theres not being too much interest though, but there seems to be a bit more recently so maybe will pick up.

JLSTheRat
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by JLSTheRat »

that will be great, I would try on my doll,,

Grimmiekins
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by Grimmiekins »

the best one was the first video, no moving motors driving the eyes, just small tv's with a clear domed eye over them

INFORMATIONS