Starpery.com

Budget 3D printers big enough for a full size head

Got an idea? Need an invention?
DexterQuest
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Budget 3D printers big enough for a full size head

Post by DexterQuest »

I've been waiting for 3D printers to become more reliable with a larger build volume and cheaper. I thought by now we would see nice 12"x12"x12" volumes at ~$600 by now. I'm not very impressed with the two 3D printers my friend has.
The most important one piece part for a doll would be the head. I measured my WM heads at different angles. I saw if her head is tilted up with the neck socket flush to the side and her lips are positioned at the top we roughly need a build volume of 7.5" W x 8" H x 8.5" D. This position is also ideal as you have all the details of the facial features up at an angle. Less concave exposure with nostrils and eye sockets facing up.

I've come across IVI on Kickstarter which looks promising. I like how they can throw the head around and it finds its way back to the right position. It is just big enough for heads at 8.3" diameter x 8.6" depth. I missed the early birds, but @ $500 including shipping and a second print head still seems reasonable. I hope they also release the camera head for 3D scanning.

The Afinia H800+ has good specs for the build volume, but it is $1700.

Does anyone have other 3D printer recommendations that can meet or beat this build volume?

SunyBunny
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Re: Budget 3D printers big enough for a full size head

Post by SunyBunny »

Creality CR 10 - highest reviewed, largest budget printer that I’ve ever come across.

MannequinFan
Vendor Affiliated
Vendor Affiliated

Post by MannequinFan »

Hey Dexter, good luck with your Quest. :)

I'd be a little careful with that kick starter. Remember you're not actually buying a printer, you're just backing their project.
What you eventually get may not be what you're seeing, and their may be a chance you'll get nothing.

This video is a few months old, but sheds some light on some important points...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNZCt5NvUyA

Regarding the Afinia H800+...
Afinias are just re-branded UP printers. They are both made by Tiertime.
The UP Box+ is the same machine and usually sells for a couple hundred less...
https://www.makertree3d.com/collections ... 3d-printer

BuilderOfCastles

Post by BuilderOfCastles »

I agree with the Creality CR-10

A head really isn't that big.
And yes, the orientation will drastically affect build quality/ability, especially with the nose.

(fortunately, the back of the head can usually just be sanded smooth after removal of supports.)

And it may be most beneficial to print just the face flat, looking up.
And print the skull case as a separate piece.
Most of the iterations and changes will be in the face/jaw.

INFORMATIONS