Starpery.com

Weight reduction suggestion

Got an idea? Need an invention?
decentguy

Weight reduction suggestion

Post by decentguy »

We all know that the big issue is the weight of the dolls.
Namely how to replace the heavy tpe with some light and flexible material under a layer of tpe.

Now there is a synthetic rubber elastomeric foam with intumescent additve which gives it 120 minutes fire resistance.
This foam is used for pipe and duct insulation. It is flexible, light, fire proof, non drip . It comes in either sheets or tubes in various sizes and thickness. It could be glued with ordinary silicon sealant which can be bought in tubes anywhere.

It is easy to work with. Can be cut by scissors easily or a knife. Any shape can be built up layer by layer . If it should shrink under the hot Tpe a thin layer of silicon could be spread on top of the foam. I could imagine it to be used on the arms, legs with the tube version and in the chest area of a doll with the sheets under the tpe. The bigger the doll the more foam could be used under the tpe coating. I know it means more work and expense for the manufacturers but I would happily pay a few hundred extra for a light doll.

According to the manufacturer it stays flexible until 150 degrees celsius. It could be enough. If not more intumescent additive could be added. This is to be negotiated with the manufacturer.

The name of the foam is: ARMAFLEX PROTECT or
NH/ARMAFLEX or HT/ARMAFLEX.
I can give you product codes if needed.
Website
http://www.armacell.com
They have factories is many countries. They also have a factory in China. ( De-Xu)

I think it would be worth a test at least.

da_putzler

Re: Weight reduction suggestion

Post by da_putzler »

Sounds like a great idea, also maybe reducing the filling inside doll heads which can way a lot and strain the nut/bolts.

BuilderOfCastles

Re: Weight reduction suggestion

Post by BuilderOfCastles »

It is never been about knowing of a high temperture resistant foam.
There are many, many of them.

It is about casting, and combinations.
TPE + foam does not feel the same as TPE alone.

In fact, a much better feeling would be to use soft TPE over a harder TPE, but that gets into casting difficulties, and adhering difficulties.

The adhering difficulties are one of the biggest problems. Soft TPE really doesn't have the strength.
Already we have a problem with larger dolls stretching down off of the metal skeletons.

So, we wait until someone finds a stack of materials that gives more excellent characteristics AND is manufacturable.

INFORMATIONS