Starpery.com

Where to get Ball Joints and Skeletons for Making Dolls

Got an idea? Need an invention?
freezenator

Where to get Ball Joints and Skeletons for Making Dolls

Post by freezenator »

I am making a doll, and it is almost ready for a mold, but I need to know where I can get the knee joints and elbow joints for posable dolls. I plan to either use PVC pipe or aluminum for the limbs and maybe foam for the torso and hips. I know that some companies use ball joints and hinge joints, but where can I get those kinds of joints? They seem pretty specific. If you know of anything, please leave a comment or send a private message.

rubherkitty
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle
Location: Interstate 44 with 10 long-haired Friends a' Jesus In a chartreuse micra-bus

Re: Where to get Ball Joints and Skeletons for Making Dolls

Post by rubherkitty »

Most doll joints appears to be custom made based on angle and movement limitations. You also have to consider most off the shelf hinges or ball joints will be loose vs adjustable tension joints.

Here are some past discussions already on the subject.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=84667&hilit=joints
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=26438&hilit=joints
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=20479&hilit=joints
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6455&hilit=joints

Check Spider Hill prop works for PVC joints.
Ck Carbon Fiber material supplies for aluminum tube joints, but $$$$.
Going downtown. Gonna see my gal. Gonna sing her a song. I'm gonna show her my ding dong! C&C

DollAfficionado

Post by DollAfficionado »

That is a great compilation of links, rubherkitty. Also useful for when you need to repair a damaged doll's joints.
DollAfficionado (D.A.) 8)
Review of my SUKI doll from Sili Doll viewtopic.php?f=253&t=73439

rubherkitty
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle
Location: Interstate 44 with 10 long-haired Friends a' Jesus In a chartreuse micra-bus

Post by rubherkitty »

Twernt much trubble!
I see pics of joints by watching the repair topics. Much is revealed that is never offered by doll makers.

As far as skeletons, PVC or steel tubing is about it. Some tiny dolls have skeletons made of dedicated design cast plastic parts.
If I get into making dolls, I'll use 4130 DOM tubing stick welded w/ 7018. Try to break that!
Most skeletons are thin walled steel and wire welded which is a hard, brittle weld and cracks easy. Usually cracks the tubing next to the weld line. I have 2 wire welders and never use them except for BS stuff or thin sheet metal. I mainly DC stick weld.
Going downtown. Gonna see my gal. Gonna sing her a song. I'm gonna show her my ding dong! C&C

Curious newbie

Post by Curious newbie »

rubherkitty wrote:Twernt much trubble!
I see pics of joints by watching the repair topics. Much is revealed that is never offered by doll makers.

As far as skeletons, PVC or steel tubing is about it. Some tiny dolls have skeletons made of dedicated design cast plastic parts.
If I get into making dolls, I'll use 4130 DOM tubing stick welded w/ 7018. Try to break that!
Most skeletons are thin walled steel and wire welded which is a hard, brittle weld and cracks easy. Usually cracks the tubing next to the weld line. I have 2 wire welders and never use them except for BS stuff or thin sheet metal. I mainly DC stick weld.
Interesting topic and a lot of good info. For a sturdy ball joint, I would suggest deconstructing a 1" ball valve which can be easily found at any home store. Another option is a ball hitch (for towing). Either of these would require maching a two piece cup but any decent machine shop should be able to do that rather inexpensively.

Just my 2 cents...

Good luck!

violette_22
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by violette_22 »

I use doll armature. It’s similar to Loc Line. It only takes one special tool an x an y connectors. For full scale dolls, I cut a pool noodle to simulate long bones and the spine over the armature.
Anatomically Correct Adult Doll owner since 2013, Dollhouse miniaturist since 2009, lifetime fan of dolls!!!

INFORMATIONS