Starpery.com

We can rebuild her. New MF hand plates and wires.

Got an idea? Need an invention?
matt gloss
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Re: We can rebuild her. New MF hand plates and wires.

Post by matt gloss »

Wonderful solution to a massive problem imo
8)

rubherkitty
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle
Location: Interstate 44 with 10 long-haired Friends a' Jesus In a chartreuse micra-bus

Post by rubherkitty »

Something that doesn't seem to be clarified, what are the actual finger wires? I can't tell if they are 3D printed plastic or insulated copper wire, etc.

Are the wires full length and the tubes slid and glued in place or are the wires individual segments?
Is the finger tip 3D printed or a commercially available item?

Thanks
Going downtown. Gonna see my gal. Gonna sing her a song. I'm gonna show her my ding dong! C&C

MannequinFan
Vendor Affiliated
Vendor Affiliated

Post by MannequinFan »

rubherkitty wrote:Something that doesn't seem to be clarified, what are the actual finger wires? I can't tell if they are 3D printed plastic or insulated copper wire, etc.

Are the wires full length and the tubes slid and glued in place or are the wires individual segments?
Is the finger tip 3D printed or a commercially available item?
Hey RK, the finger wires are continuous 14GA THHN stranded copper. The 5/32" (4mm) brass tubes are glued on so the wire only bends at the joints.
The finger tips are printed.
Wire...
https://www.cerrowire.com/product/circu ... hn-thwn-2/
Tubing...
https://www.hobbylobby.com/Crafts-Hobbi ... 32/p/24131

I'll be posting a complete material list and instructions if/when this passes the final testing.

rubherkitty
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle
Location: Interstate 44 with 10 long-haired Friends a' Jesus In a chartreuse micra-bus

Post by rubherkitty »

Going downtown. Gonna see my gal. Gonna sing her a song. I'm gonna show her my ding dong! C&C

Dollicious2
Doll Patriarch
Doll Patriarch

Post by Dollicious2 »

MannequinFan wrote:Hey Panther, here's something Anastasia will be able to do that not too many other dolls can...
Hold a 12 oz. coffee mug with one fingertip...
IMG_4649.JPG
Hold your 2lb hammer for you while you have a beer...
IMG_4650.JPG
:D
Oh my goodness this is amazing news
I have a WM & my YL doll that need hand work as a few wires have broken and the wrists are loosened.
Great work MF :thumbs_up:
Now if the elbow joints and/or shoulder joints can stay firmly in place while holding objects that may be a different story but that all depends on the doll in question , how well the elbows and shoulders had been torqued at her factory of origin.
DL2
viewtopic.php?t=104739
Jelina and Jelena 170cm C slim body twins.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DL2 Fashion Studio
viewtopic.php?t=116236
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Olinka YL170 D
viewtopic.php?t=93693

MannequinFan
Vendor Affiliated
Vendor Affiliated

Post by MannequinFan »

Thanks DL2! :)

One thing to note on that hammer test is that it was done with the finger wires epoxied to the palm plate.
TBH, as neat as it is to have replaceable wires, I still think epoxy will give you the most durable result.
With this new design you can do it either way.
Drilling the holes in the tubes removes about 1/4" of wire embedment in the tubes, so that leaves only about 1/2" of wire embedment in the thumb tube, which is not much.

Of course I can't make any guarantees, but I'm willing to bet these 14GA stranded wires will last quite a long time with normal use.
I guess my question is, would anyone really want to go through the surgical process to replace just one finger wire? These plates will be inexpensive and even cheaper if you can print them yourself. So, if you were to get a year or two service from these wouldn't it make more sense just to replace the whole thing?
Dunno, just thinking out loud.

BigBurrito

Post by BigBurrito »

My doll needs her hands rebuilt, i had a similar idea on the wires too. My doll, Anita is a YL155, and i want to replace those palm plates, also her solder joins need work too. Great work, i admire your inventive work

rubherkitty
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by rubherkitty »

Hey, I'm still alive. Snow storm and no net since Sat.
Thought I WAS dying though!

Here's a quick idea.
Instead of drill a hole through the brass tube and wire. Maybe set the screws back and wrap the end of the wire around the screws. Could maybe use crimp on loops for the wire ends?
The tubing in the palm plate would stop short of the wire ends.
As the tubing is sectioned, the overall strength of the finger from the tips in is by the wire.

The thumb wire could be wrapped around the eye bolt shank.

In the quick sketch, the wire is the solid item. I only drew one finger as the rest are the same.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Another idea "if you don't plan to remove the finger wires from the palm plate" is to just drill the fingers and use small wire or tiny roll pins. A .065 wire epoxied in would be plenty strong and that would reduce the weakness of drilling such a large hole in the finger wires. A 1/16" = .0625 roll pin would be removable if need be.
Attachments
IMAG0001.JPG
IMAG0001.JPG (43.56 KiB) Viewed 1651 times

maddmatter70
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by maddmatter70 »

Broke my first finger wire today.....so on to the next repair job!!! So greatful we can post solitions, ideas and stuff here!

MannequinFan
Vendor Affiliated
Vendor Affiliated

Post by MannequinFan »

Hey thanks RK. I like your idea but I think I found a simple way to solve this issue.
If I just drill the holes through the tubing and leave the finger wires solid, the pointed sheet metal screws get driven down into the wire. The wire gets smooshed down into the bottom hole in the tube so it really gets locked in. I didn't think the plastic would give the screw enough bite to do this, but it worked very well. I couldn't even pull the wire out using pliers. :)

The only drawback is the 3/8" screw won't quite screw in all the way so it sticks up about 1/10".
Not sure if that will really be an issue.
What I need are some #4 x 1/4" sheet metal screws, but they don't seem to be commonly available.
Looks like I'd have to special order them from Grainger.
https://www.grainger.com/product/FABORY ... less-1VE43
Attachments
IMG_4661.JPG
IMG_4661.JPG (674.62 KiB) Viewed 1618 times

rubherkitty
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by rubherkitty »

Hey, no problem. The ideas are out there for the world now.

I was thinking about just screwing into the wire, but since you drilled through I thought you may be using a machine screw w/a nut on the underside or something.

Just ck'd my screw supply as I have a box of like 3K #4 sheet metal screws, but they are .450 long so are probably considered 3/8.

If you have to order, you might see if there's a Fastenall in your area so you don't have to pay shipping.

MannequinFan
Vendor Affiliated
Vendor Affiliated

Post by MannequinFan »

I just recently realized that I have a Grainger branch here in town, so I can have it shipped to store.
Got all the hardware for my eyes there in boxes of 100 for a lot less than the small packages at Lowes.

maddmatter70
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by maddmatter70 »

Can you send me the model for the hand plate? I want to machine a couple of them out of aluminum. Can I pm my email to you?

kenwalters
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by kenwalters »

Interesting, my WM doll has this problem with finger wires too.

rubherkitty
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by rubherkitty »

I think MF better come out of retirement and open a staffed shop. :lol:
Never too late to start a second career!

MF's All Dolls parts & service.

INFORMATIONS