Palace of the plastic princess. Usually ranging from $15 to $300
yorktown
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Is she made of Vinyl or?

Post by yorktown »

8) Howdy

So as the title of the posts - suggests is she or isn't she made of Vinyl - :?:

I ask this question as for the last few years I have noticed that Daio Shi has been making air babes from vinyl, and the material used has been a ruff textured vinyl that has not been of the same texture of air babes in the past -

Vinyl air babes also made by NMC NANMA had a smooth soft luxuriousness to the touch - whereas many of the late models particularly in the value line are made with harder and tuff texture vinyl - so it's not just Daio Shi

So it appears the vinyl material used has been changing a wee bit - although - on the High end NMC the material seems the same as before soft and smooth

So here is where I have noticed the change - the mid range to high end Daio Shi's seems to be using a different material - not vinyl - I believe Daio Shi is using a synthetic Latex to make their air babes

Synthetic Latex is safer than latex - as its not natural its a chemistry set type material made by science VS from a hole in a rubber tree poured into a bucket

The material is strong has some stretch to it - not like natural latex - but feels soft to the touch and is smooth - my conclusion is far from scientific - but I do notice the difference and I think this is a good way to go by Daio Shi

Just a note that years back - NMC had issued a line of Latex air babes {Miranda comes to mind } - they weren't natural latex - all of the line was made with synthetic latex - and they all had that same feel as today's latest run from Daio Shi

Either way I am glad that many in mid to high end air babes from - Daio Shi are changing to this new material as its a step in the right direction from that poorly formulated vinyl of late

magoruk

Re: Is she made of Vinyl or?

Post by magoruk »

Hi Yorktown, your question is very interesting. You are right, that vinyl material has changed last few years and differs significantly from one manufacturer to another. Like at inflatable dolls, we can find the same situation at vinyl pool toys and other inflatables. The reason must be in changing additives and subsequently in processing technology.

I am pretty sure, that we would be able to find (approx.) the same amount of chlorine in all types of vinyl, because it is a vinyl. The most important aditives are plasticizers, which make vinyl soft. There are tens of percent of plasticizer in flexible vinyl and this part of material is changing. The plasticizer type and amount don't affect only the material flexibility, smothness or temperature stability. There are more parameters affected, important for processing technology, like dielectric loss tangent, melting temperature, temperature at which the plasticizer is evaporated or decomposed, ... When the plasticizer is changed, there are usually more things in the production process which must be changed also.

I guess, phtalates, the most known, historical class of plasticizers are not used for many years by any doll manufacturer. The reason is their ban for toys and other products, and it made them rare and expensive. On the other hand, modern plasticizers became cheaper and more accessible due to their mass production. The first years of non phtalate vinyl production, toys were very soft. The big ammounts of new plasticizer were used in. This type of vinyl was more expensive and toys became tninner, smaller, ... please, look to Intex NP products after y. 2000. Next vinyl type was unpleasant and stiff (I call it metal plate :-)) Manufacturers tried to reduce the amount of plasticizer, which was still not very cheap. From dolls, I have two Diao Shi girls made up of this material and recent Suzie Carina (new NMC) is also the same. I was quite disappointed by Suzie, and tried to make her soft by adding some ATBC liquid - modern environment and body friendly plasticizer. Now, she is pleasant and soft, better than new. These days, more and more toys or sex toys (new Diao Shi also) are much softer. This is probably because another new plasticizer was introduced, based on Hexamoll DINCH from BASF company. The intex usually mark their products by HX prefix when the Hexamoll is used in.

The problem is, that the vinyl is a mixture. Its parameters depends on all components, their quality, amount and on other production process steps. Regardless that, it is always the vinyl and we love it much! Many thanks to inventors of modern *-friendly plasticizers, which extends the use of vinyl for all toys we love.
http://www.dollalbum.com/dollgallery/in ... ?cat=13129
How it looks in a heaven? The heaven it is the same world as our, with one exception. You can live with your doll there and the doll is ideal. The ideal doll means, that there are no any technical, practical or social problems concerned with her. And what about a hell? The hell don't exist. Every place will turn to a heaven, if you will be with your doll there. Because she is a part of your personality, she will be always with you.

yorktown
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by yorktown »

8) Howdy

Fascinating observation - magoruk - :idea:

I had forgotten that the plasticizers - are either no longer in the original formula or not as present as in days of vinyl glory

This of course changes the feel - and gives the dolls a tuff and almost hardness - VS - the smooth to touch and softness we had in the past

Well that might also explain why Daio Shi is going for Synthetic Latex for the air dolls body - that material is soft as in days past but is formulated different

Great stuff - magoruk - :thumbs_up:

Dollicio

Post by Dollicio »

Hi Magoruk,

That’s a very interesting interpretation of what probably happened in the industry after the ban of phthalates in toys and its consequences. Appreciated.

magoruk wrote:Hi Yorktown, your question is very interesting. You are right, that vinyl material has changed last few years and differs significantly from one manufacturer to another. Like at inflatable dolls, we can find the same situation at vinyl pool toys and other inflatables. The reason must be in changing additives and subsequently in processing technology.

I am pretty sure, that we would be able to find (approx.) the same amount of chlorine in all types of vinyl, because it is a vinyl. The most important aditives are plasticizers, which make vinyl soft. There are tens of percent of plasticizer in flexible vinyl and this part of material is changing. The plasticizer type and amount don't affect only the material flexibility, smothness or temperature stability. There are more parameters affected, important for processing technology, like dielectric loss tangent, melting temperature, temperature at which the plasticizer is evaporated or decomposed, ... When the plasticizer is changed, there are usually more things in the production process which must be changed also.

I guess, phtalates, the most known, historical class of plasticizers are not used for many years by any doll manufacturer. The reason is their ban for toys and other products, and it made them rare and expensive. On the other hand, modern plasticizers became cheaper and more accessible due to their mass production. The first years of non phtalate vinyl production, toys were very soft. The big ammounts of new plasticizer were used in. This type of vinyl was more expensive and toys became tninner, smaller, ... please, look to Intex NP products after y. 2000. Next vinyl type was unpleasant and stiff (I call it metal plate :-)) Manufacturers tried to reduce the amount of plasticizer, which was still not very cheap. From dolls, I have two Diao Shi girls made up of this material and recent Suzie Carina (new NMC) is also the same. I was quite disappointed by Suzie, and tried to make her soft by adding some ATBC liquid - modern environment and body friendly plasticizer. Now, she is pleasant and soft, better than new. These days, more and more toys or sex toys (new Diao Shi also) are much softer. This is probably because another new plasticizer was introduced, based on Hexamoll DINCH from BASF company. The intex usually mark their products by HX prefix when the Hexamoll is used in.

The problem is, that the vinyl is a mixture. Its parameters depends on all components, their quality, amount and on other production process steps. Regardless that, it is always the vinyl and we love it much! Many thanks to inventors of modern *-friendly plasticizers, which extends the use of vinyl for all toys we love.

INFORMATIONS