Santa
www.realdoll.com
Rita & Angie - HawgCallr

What do I need to know if I was going to sell my doll?

A space for the legacy dolls manufactured by as Phoenix Studios. These include the Boy Toy Series 1 & 2: Calendar Girls, Seasons and C series.

Moderator: TJ_Foxx

RussMeyerFan
Active Poster
Active Poster

What do I need to know if I was going to sell my doll?

Post by RussMeyerFan »

I have given this a lot of thought and I am leaning towards maybe selling my doll. This was an intriguing concept in the beginning and the product is absolutely beautiful but I just don't think doll ownership is for me in the long run. Before I make the final decision, I would like to get some insights into the selling process. I have looked at the selling forum and am clear on that stuff, but any help on the following would be great...

- What shipping service would be best? What is a ballpark estimate for shipping within the US (I live in CT)?

- is there a shipping service that could pick up the doll directly at my home? I have a small car and definitely could not manage handling the doll on my own and don't want to have to ask a friend or family member for help.

- it would be amazing if a buyer could directly pick her up from my apartment as that would save me the hassle of shipping and it would save them the cost. If they live anywhere in the New England area and have a truck or SUV it would literally be cheaper to get the doll in person. Has anyone done this before? Is this even a realistic possibility?

- I tore one of the handles on the original box when opening it. What would be the best way to seal it for shipment? Tape and / or bungees?

- what is a reasonable price to ask for the doll? She is a BT2 with Winter face and freckle and high realism eyes upgrades. There is a small tear in her foot and one finger poke on her left hand which I will be repairing with the RealDoll silicone repair kit this week.

- what are some things I should be aware of as a seller so I don't get ripped off?

Thank you for any and all help in advance!

jiayi
Management
Management

Re: What do I need to know if I was going to sell my doll?

Post by jiayi »

Hi RMF,
I highly recommend using PayPal, if you are not making a direct sale. Also, I would seal the box with tape, lots of tape, as anything that is easy to open (bungie cords) can be subject to nefarious activity during shipment.
Jiayi

netwit
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by netwit »

speed-talkin' Netwit:
Hi Russ, can I call you Russ, you've come to the right place, I can take that doll off your hands - no problemo, no need to ship, I'll be right over, just send me your name, address, phone numbers(s), credit card info, social security number, and a copy of your house key, and I'll pick her right up from your bedroom, for, let's say, er, $100 big ones? BTW, is there beer in your fridge?

Above is an example of what to avoid

Seriously, I've found in my area, NJ, that Fedex offers the best prices for the long boxes dolls are generally shipped in. Their website offers a page to enter the h,w,l, and weight and calculate a price.

I've heard some bad stories about in-person pick-ups. The best I can offer is that selling to a forum member with some history may cut your chances of running into a dangerous situation. Caution is advised.

Regarding the box, and a fair price, I'll leave it to a boytoy owner to answer that those. What mo/yr was the doll made? That info would help with pricing.
jiayi wrote:I highly recommend using PayPal
I've also used PayPal and was satisfied.

...............I'd hit dat
Remembering Jenna

james 1966
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by james 1966 »

I'm sorry doll ownership didn't work out for you. It seems to be the case with a certain percentage of buyers on the forum, their dolls come up for sale shortly after purchase declaring that 'doll ownership is not for me'. I think that a person's age may have something to do with it. A younger guy may feel like he's missing out on real women, seeing his friends with their girls hanging all over them, and older guys finding out they can't physically move the doll around, or stay 'aroused' long enough to 'finish the job'. The sweet spot seems to be guys, like myself, who have been 'through the ringer' with the ladies and are ready for a hiatus from the drama.

RussMeyerFan
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by RussMeyerFan »

Netwit wrote:speed-talkin' Netwit:
Hi Russ, can I call you Russ, you've come to the right place, I can take that doll off your hands - no problemo, no need to ship, I'll be right over, just send me your name, address, phone numbers(s), credit card info, social security number, and a copy of your house key, and I'll pick her right up from your bedroom, for, let's say, er, $100 big ones? BTW, is there beer in your fridge?

Above is an example of what to avoid

Seriously, I've found in my area, NJ, that Fedex offers the best prices for the long boxes dolls are generally shipped in. Their website offers a page to enter the h,w,l, and weight and calculate a price.

I've heard some bad stories about in-person pick-ups. The best I can offer is that selling to a forum member with some history may cut your chances of running into a dangerous situation. Caution is advised.

Regarding the box, and a fair price, I'll leave it to a boytoy owner to answer that those. What mo/yr was the doll made? That info would help with pricing.
jiayi wrote:I highly recommend using PayPal
I've also used PayPal and was satisfied.
Thanks for the input! It seems like shipping is probably safest despite the hassle.

Can FedEX pick up the box from my home or would I have to bring it to a local office?

My doll was manufactured this year.

Greyling

Post by Greyling »

If you put up an ad for sale, here's a few questions that usually don't get posted by the sellers, and almost always get asked.

How much does the doll actually weigh? Get in a scale with it, and then get on a scale without it.
How tall is it? Measure it from heel to the top of the head.
Has it been used? ( I really think this is a dumb question to ask, but it always comes up.)
How old is it?
Does it come with an Insert?
Where are you located?
Can I pick it up?
What accessories come with it?
Why are you selling it?
be sure to provide a link to the doll on the BT website so people can go there and get info.
I prefer Fedex too, I've had UPS kinda toss stuff around.
Repack it the same way it came, very securely.
Good Luck! :)

campion
Ex-Member

Post by campion »

james 1966 wrote:I'm sorry doll ownership didn't work out for you. It seems to be the case with a certain percentage of buyers on the forum, their dolls come up for sale shortly after purchase declaring that 'doll ownership is not for me'. I think that a person's age may have something to do with it. A younger guy may feel like he's missing out on real women, seeing his friends with their girls hanging all over them, and older guys finding out they can't physically move the doll around, or stay 'aroused' long enough to 'finish the job'. The sweet spot seems to be guys, like myself, who have been 'through the ringer' with the ladies and are ready for a hiatus from the drama.
Interesting, the notion of a "sweet spot" for doll ownership. I do think many people make serious mistakes with the weight issue. No matter how many times people warn about the reality of dead weight, newbies are all sure they can handle an 80-110 pound doll just fine. They are then stunned on arrival of the doll. I'd say good rule of thumb is to double the weight of the doll and ask a person if they are comfortable carrying a woman around who weighs that much.

I think a lot of other people are unprepared for how much "space" a doll takes. Sure you can maybe hide the doll, but what about her clothes and stray hair and the lube and repair kit and shipping crate etc? Dolls can have a major footprint if a guy has anything less than a house with a garage. This contributes to the feeling of "missing out", because a guy suddenly realizes this is a bit of an either/or situation. Doll or real woman: pick one you can't have both. Many guys faced with this understandably opt to leave the door open for a real woman.

Finally, these creations are very seductive in theory, but in real life they take planning and storage and maintenance and a willingness to invest in them imaginatively. If a doll is purchased as an impulse buy then all of these issues slam a new owner at once and you get this phenomenon of the buyer's remorse sale in the first week.
"The customers are torn between needing someone and wanting to be alone at the same time, which has probably always been the name of that particular game."—William Gibson, 'Burning Chrome'

james 1966
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by james 1966 »

There is also a matter of a well photographed doll. A professional photographer with a high quality camera and good angles/technique can make a doll look almost alive in a photo spread, and a lot larger than it really is. How many times have we read 'I was surprised how small the doll is in person.'

INFORMATIONS