Santa
www.realdoll.com
Rita & Angie - HawgCallr

BoyToyDolls Silicone grade Discussion

A space for the legacy dolls manufactured by as Phoenix Studios. These include the Boy Toy Series 1 & 2: Calendar Girls, Seasons and C series.

Moderator: TJ_Foxx

technoguy
Ex-Member

Post by technoguy »

Incrediwagon wrote:
Your wright abought the odor being a turn off, it was way to strong when laying next to her in bed.I ended up changing it for the older one for now.
It's too bad that doll manufacturers can not completely deodorize a doll BEFORE they ship it out.

I bought a memory foam pillow for a neck problem I had earlier this year and the manufacturer stated that they manufactured it to be as odorless as possible. They were right, I smelled nothing when I pulled it out of its package and could immediately use it without concern

technoguy

siliconegrapes
Ex-Member

Post by siliconegrapes »

You're talking about two completely different items and nobody that I know of has ever complained about how a RD smells. :roll:
Not all maufacturers can be trusted. PLEASE read the forums thoroughly to make sure you are dealing with a reputable manufacturer.

Incrediwagon
Ex-Member

Post by Incrediwagon »

It's too bad that doll manufacturers can not completely deodorize a doll BEFORE they ship it out.
I think your being a little selective here. I didn't have a problem with the abyss faces, even when Ceilidh was faily new. The one Slade made up for me was about a week old when shipped, and he was probably a little heavy on the sealer. Now the odor is almost gone.

tabasko62
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by tabasko62 »

ummm...

can I ask the very simple question that probably belongs here?

Are the Boy Toys made with the same silicone as the Realdolls..in deciding which I would like to spend so much money on, is the silicone even something I should be considering?

Zarnon
Former Member

Post by Zarnon »

Man, thanks Bronwen for trying at least.
Fall down 7 times, get up 8.

Incrediwagon
Ex-Member

Post by Incrediwagon »

Are the Boy Toys made with the same silicone as the Realdolls..in deciding which I would like to spend so much money on, is the silicone even something I should be considering?
Simply no the dolls use different silicone. There is nothing wrong with Realdoll silicone, however the BoyToy maybe better. No one here knows for sure because we haven't seen one yet. When it comes to buying a doll pick what you like, then read up on it. There is plenty of info in these posts. Read this thread especialy the previous page. there is plenty of info, ad nauseum, about silicone.

od
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by od »

Thank you Bronwen for your attempt to bring a bit of levelness to this debate... All good points that you made and very apt.

I have no problems with my RD's chemical composition, because i really don't think my cooking spatula is gonna harm me either. If it does, oh well
i guess i'll die with a full belly and other pleasures...

Short of Bronwen giving the exact chemical composition that Abyss uses, and then some of y'all then making an observation after investigation, i don't think any person who has a fear of the silicon should even think about buying one.... I'm happy to be a guinea pig....

Stay tuned, i'll let you know how it goes over the years....
In certain trying circumstances, urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity furnishes a relief denied even to prayer   ~Mark Twain~ <a href="http://www.dollalbum.com/dollgallery/index.php?cat=10592">http://www.dollalbum.com/do

technoguy
Ex-Member

Post by technoguy »

People vary considerably in their sensitivity to a particular odor and to which odors they are sensitive. I have had situations where I noticed a strange odor and no one around me could smell it...and vice versa.

I have read people say that, rather than the doll, they found the odor coming out of the wooden shipping crate to be irritating. No doubt, some of that odor might "cling" to a doll by being absorbed into and then time released from any of the silicone oil plasticizer exuding from the doll's skin.

I tend to be VERY senstive to strange odors and, as I've said, I would prefer a doll to be as odorless as possible. Should I get a doll and it has a strong odor, I would immediately sponge bathe it with warm soapy water, sponge rinse it, dry it, and then let it "air out" in a closed off part of the house. I suspect that this simple procedure will deodorize any silicone doll in a few days although the process might have to be repeated several times.

It might be possible for a doll manufacturer to accelerate this process by heating the doll up for several hours prior to shipping. However, there would still be the problem of odor being absorbed into the doll from the wooden crate. I can not see any way around this problem because it looks like these wooden crates are mandatory to protect the doll during shipping.

Well, who knows, maybe in the future the manufacturers will develop some sort of odorless plastic shipping container. I'm imagining something shaped like a small casket and very light in weight. Aside from preventing any paskage caused odors in the doll, a light weight plastic shipping container would also help reduce the shipping costs. The only problem I see with this is that the doll's arms and legs would have to be folded closer together to fit the container and this might cause creasing in the skin.

technoguy

Sith_Lord

Post by Sith_Lord »

TG I'm afraid your observations are based on no experiance what so ever in these materials.

For example many platinum silicones are A + B type and don't use liquid catalyst like tin based typically does.

The tints are typically dry powder artist's colors suspended in either silicone oil or grease. These tints are inert (have to be in the case of platinum silicone) and are used in very low volume to the silicone base, like drops per gallon.

As far as D-limonene Thomas posted here in the past it was used at Abyss instead of other solvents. Since Abyss has the silicone pre-made (including tint) by their supplier it's hard to say what's really in it.

I don't really care myself, this whole thread is basically TG voicing baseless fears and "less than accurate" facts. It's getting old.
I suddenly realized I\'m living in a dollhouse!

flavortang
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by flavortang »

This thread should be locked. It's just a bunch of yakkity yak from certain members keeping it alive who don't know what they're talking about. No offense.

Bill
Forum Founder
Forum Founder

Post by Bill »

We haven't discussed the new Curie skeleton made from Depleted Uranium that makes her feel warm and glow in the dark. The 100 Rad doll is a real hottie.:D :D :D

BelShanar
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by BelShanar »

Bill I'll tell ya' why we haven't discussed the new Curie skeleton yet.

It's heavy, and trying to have sex with a doll while wearing a lead condom just isn't all that great.

That said, I will answer as many questions as possible about the BoyToyDoll's silicone once I receive mine in a couple of weeks.

In the mean time, lets please try to refrain from posting speculative posts about this dolls silicone mix, or any other dolls mix.

Bronwen has done a great job explaining everything we as public consumers need to know.

If you have any other questions about this, please PM or email Phoenix Studios. They will be happy to answer your questions.

phoenixstudios
Manufacturer
Manufacturer

Post by phoenixstudios »

OK I just MUST post. Didn't wanna but I must point this out: TG, you clearly have no understanding of how silicone is cast. If you EVER mixed ANY solvent into your base material, your casting would SHRINK as the solvent flashed off. I KNOW this because it is done to create smaller versions of sculptures; I have done it. HOWEVER, I would NEVER mix D-Limonene into silicone base, even if I WANTED to shrink my casting, as it would take a VERY long time to flash off, and would smell so strongly that I would never eat an orange again. D-Limonene is useful for thinning sealant ONLY. The silicone that is used for sealing the dolls (to embed the colors under a strong layer of clear silicone) is far too thick to spray through an airbrush, so you NEED a solvent to thin it. You can go with nasty thinners that are quite UN-HEALTH friendly to myself or anyone who chooses to work with them, or the harmless albeit FRUITY D-Limonene, which as stated before is made with concentrated citrus oils. YES it smells like 50 oranges per cubic inch, but it's not as hazardous as the alternatives. Once the sealer dries, the smell is MILD and not altogether unpleasant! That being said, the facts ARE: Dolls are cast with a mixture of silicone and deluent and pigment. That's IT. This applies to TIN CURE AND PLATINUM CURE silicones!

On a side note, the BoyToy dolls are being sealed without the use of D-limonene. The sealer material is similar to the body material, which is much thinner in it's base state and I have found an alternate means of applying it. In other words, BT's don't smell fruity; Not that the smell was ever a problem IMHO, it just worked out differently with the Plat system.

-Matt McMullen

flavortang
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by flavortang »

I think it's sad that the owners of doll companies have to come here to refute claims made by people who have no clue what the hell they're talking about. I wish there was a block/ignore feature on the forums so I could make these people invisible.

Matt M., thanks much, though, for clarifying the issue. I hope SOME PEOPLE get the damn message and stop flapping their gums.

NamRepaid
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by NamRepaid »

Flavortang Said;

I think it's sad that the owners of doll companies have to come here to refute claims made by people who have no clue what the hell they're talking about. I wish there was a block/ignore feature on the forums so I could make these people invisible.

Matt M., thanks much, though, for clarifying the issue. I hope SOME PEOPLE get the damn message and stop flapping their gums. <END>

While TG can get a little longwinded and tenacious I do appreciate that it is necessary for someone to ask the tough questions to look after our health. My grandmother used to give a spoonful of kerosene for a cough, imagine how many cancers her peers caused before the facts about benzene was known. It’s good to know RD & BT have the right answers and are concerned about our health too.

Now what’s in that new foam pillow I just bought? It smells a bit!

Nam

INFORMATIONS