betterlovedoll.com

What Screen Resolution Do You Use for TDF? (2011 Poll)

This forum is devoted SOLELY to questions and answers regarding how to use the forum and other features of the "The Doll Forum" website. Questions or help regarding dolls should be posted elsewhere. Bug reports can also all be found here. If you encounter a bug, this is where to address it.

What screen resolution do you use for browsing TDF?

Under 1024 wide
3%
1024 wide
18%
1280 wide
21%
1440 wide
5%
Greater than 1440 wide
53%

Total votes: 62

TDF_Management
Staff
Staff

What Screen Resolution Do You Use for TDF? (2011 Poll)

Post by TDF_Management »

Because of recent discussion, we're taking another one of these polls, to see if the results have changed in the course of 1,5 years.

Your participation in this poll would be helpful in determining which resolution theme would best serve our members' interests.

janesays
Ex-Member

Re: What Screen Resolution Do You Use for TDF? (2011 Poll)

Post by janesays »

If you don't know what your screen resolution is then go here and it will tell you:

http://www.whatismyscreenresolution.com/

Mine is 1360 so do I choose 1280?
The truth is like a lion. You don't have to defend it. Let it loose. It will defend itself.

SpiritfireM
Retired Server Admin
Retired Server Admin

Post by SpiritfireM »

janesays wrote:If you don't know what your screen resolution is then go here and it will tell you:

http://www.whatismyscreenresolution.com/

Mine is 1360 so do I choose 1280?
That's about the closest, so I'd say so.

1920x1080 x 2 here

MrDollyPardon

Post by MrDollyPardon »

Also 1920x1080 :)
don't worry about what other people think... they don't do it often anyway

My Doll Album

SpiritfireM
Retired Server Admin
Retired Server Admin

Post by SpiritfireM »

Never the one who could just be "normal", here's my setup
IMG_0016.JPG
IMG_0016.JPG (1.76 MiB) Viewed 12807 times
The monitors are both Vizio 32" HDTVs at full 1080p. I wanted to have 6 of them in a 3x2 matrix, but my best friend said I probably shouldn't. DHS would come knocking asking why I had them filled with world maps and a room full of evil henchgirl teddy babes. I don't see anything wrong with that personally. My plans for world domination are already underway. I'm just starting it low key, in my house first, then my neighborhood....then someday..THE WORLD! MUAHAHAHAAAHAHAHAHAH!!!

Um...Er...excuse me...I mean..um...Just look here into this flashy thing please.

midiman
Doll Guru
Doll Guru

Post by midiman »

SpiritfireM wrote:Never the one who could just be "normal", here's my setup

The monitors are both Vizio 32" HDTVs at full 1080p.

Man dear.... I have dual 22.5 Samsungs at 1680 X 1050 resolution. I feel so out Jonesed :(

Respectfully,
Mr. Smith
Midiman...
My Doll photos... here in my Doll Album

Gabrielle BT ---- Libby Ruby13 ---- My Teddy Babes --- Bianca from Lars & the RG --- jessica Wicked RD ------ Aredhel PIB ------ Amaya 4woods - Kira Anatomical

Szalinski
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by Szalinski »

I knew there was a sinister plot being brewed behind that "Screen Resolution" poll! :evidence:

And I could care less if 70% of members use a screen resolution of 4,000 pixels wide, why should everyone else have to suffer? It just isn't right. A lot of members are not able or cannot afford to go out and $pend their "Hard Earned" on the Newest And Greatest computer gizmotron just because an Admin gets a wild hair! Especially in these hard times. Or haven't you been reading the news recently? Some of our members are even having trouble getting a doll!

Sure. I could do as one member told me and "join the rest of the 21st century, get an adequate monitor and quit yur whining". And I'm lucky enough that I can easily afford a wider monitor (although it would be a tight fit on my desk).

Hell, if I really wanted to be A.R. about it I could also hook my PC up to my new 32" Sony Bravia HDTV, get an IR keyboard and mouse, lie back on my waterbed with Sharon at my side and thumb my nose at all of you! But I'm not that kind of person.

I thought this forum was a place that treated all us doll folks as equals, not one that just catered to the privileged! Or do only the first class passengers on this ship get to use the lifeboats? :evil:

HEY! I like that one, I think I may use it...
And maybe "That Other Forum" has a good point...
LifeBoats.JPG
LifeBoats.JPG (7.07 KiB) Viewed 12773 times
“If freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.”
~ George Washington

SpiritfireM
Retired Server Admin
Retired Server Admin

Post by SpiritfireM »

Szalinski wrote:I knew there was a sinister plot being brewed behind that "Screen Resolution" poll! :evidence:

And I could care less if 70% of members use a screen resolution of 4,000 pixels wide, why should everyone else have to suffer? It just isn't right.
By your same logic, why should everyone else have to suffer through a much narrower screen because a small minority still uses a small screen? If the entire industry used your logic, that since a group of people can't afford to upgrade to newer technology, you wouldn't have your 32" Sony Bravia HDTV, or your IR keyboard and mouse. IBM once thought that nobody would ever be able to afford nor need a personal computer. If the entire computer industry thought that, computers would still take entire rooms and none of us would have computers at all.

Sorry, but the web does not hold back for those who don't want to upgrade or can't afford to. Times must change, technology must advance and move on.

RaDiv
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by RaDiv »

A few tips for Szalinkski: step 1: Stop complaining! Step 2:Find yourself a NEW or slightly used 22" monitor. Step 3.Take your old coal fired CRT monitor and throw it as far away as you can. If you have got something unsettled with your neighbor throw it after him/her. Step 4: Enjoy!
She told me to come but I was already there

Everhard
~ Member ~
~ Member ~

Post by Everhard »

1152 x 864

It seems to me that a lot of usability problems can be overcome by just adhering to basic guidelines. That includes setting a reasonable maximum size of picture in a post to avoid horizontal scroll bars. (A certain other doll forum, with otherwise good usability, has serious problems in that regard at the moment.)

Forums like this should be informative to a wide range of people, including those who would prefer to spend their money on dolls than on computers. We should not try to emulate B2B web sites (or whatever you call 'em).

A truly usable site should still be usable on an average monitor with the window resized so it does not occupy the full screen.

Szalinski
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by Szalinski »

SpiritfireM wrote:
Szalinski wrote:I knew there was a sinister plot being brewed behind that "Screen Resolution" poll! :evidence:

And I could care less if 70% of members use a screen resolution of 4,000 pixels wide, why should everyone else have to suffer? It just isn't right.
By your same logic, why should everyone else have to suffer through a much narrower screen because a small minority still uses a small screen? If the entire industry used your logic, that since a group of people can't afford to upgrade to newer technology, you wouldn't have your 32" Sony Bravia HDTV, or your IR keyboard and mouse. IBM once thought that nobody would ever be able to afford nor need a personal computer. If the entire computer industry thought that, computers would still take entire rooms and none of us would have computers at all.

Sorry, but the web does not hold back for those who don't want to upgrade or can't afford to. Times must change, technology must advance and move on.
"By the same logic" The fact that a few considerate people do exist in the world is why I can still use NTSB (old style) equipment (like my Web-TV) on that Bravia HDTV. And why I can still play my "old" DVD's on my new Hi-Def. Blu-ray player. How would you like it if "they all" thought like you do? Hpow would you record your favorite shows? VHS wouldn't work, nor would your DVD recorder, And what good would it do to re re-cord all your old treasured family videos if you couldn't watch them on anything? And before you say it, they don't sell Blu-Ray recorders yet. Not unless you want to lay down 10+ grand! So it's a good thing that a few "old fogeys" that think like me do exist I guess.

And I find it very hard to believe you are going through all of this just for 'Lil 'Ol Me. you could do that with PM's. No. other's have brought this up as well. That's why the new poll. So the question is this: if the smaller screen "format" is used as the for these "windows" "inserts" whatever they are called, will they still be fully viewed on a larger screen? Because the larger ones cannot be read at all on smaller screens. My Web-TV has a screen resolution of only 600 pixels, yet on it the forum looks exactly the same overall (other than ther "inserts, which are even harder to read) as it does on this monitor which is almost 60% larger. So what does it matter if the content of these "inserts" are limited to a smaller size so they fit without cross scrolling. They will still be viewable on larger monitors, and they will be readable on smaller ones.

Or are you trying to create class distinctions? ("Separate but unequal"?)
Everhard wrote:1152 x 864

It seems to me that a lot of usability problems can be overcome by just adhering to basic guidelines. That includes setting a reasonable maximum size of picture in a post to avoid horizontal scroll bars. (A certain other doll forum, with otherwise good usability, has serious problems in that regard at the moment.)

Forums like this should be informative to a wide range of people, including those who would prefer to spend their money on dolls than on computers. We should not try to emulate B2B web sites (or whatever you call 'em).

A truly usable site should still be usable on an average monitor with the window resized so it does not occupy the full screen.
That is the only thing I am complaining about: the posts cannot be read when the horizontal scroll is seven scrolls down from the text! Pictures are already resized automatically on this forum, just click on them if you want to see it bigger. Cant this be set so everyone can enjoy the forum?

I am getting a larger monitor, that is not what I am complaining about, I have the money to throw around, others don't. And I really don't like it (read: despise) when the "little guy" gets thrown out with the trash just for the dubious benefit of the more fortunate.

But that's okay, because I think I'm going to have the last laugh. Because big screen desk top computers are not the wave of the future, they are the outgoing tide. Even laptops are suffering under the onrush of smaller, hand held units. think I-pad, Droids, and phones. How well can this format be viewed on them? Oh, you will be reducing the size, I'm just trying to save you the trouble of having to do it later.

And when you do, I intend to post a very large "I Told You So". :haha4:

THAT is what I am bitching about, and I am sticking to it.
“If freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.”
~ George Washington

SpiritfireM
Retired Server Admin
Retired Server Admin

Post by SpiritfireM »

Szalinski wrote:"By the same logic" The fact that a few considerate people do exist in the world is why I can still use NTSB (old style) equipment (like my Web-TV) on that Bravia HDTV. And why I can still play my "old" DVD's on my new Hi-Def. Blu-ray player. How would you like it if "they all" thought like you do? Hpow would you record your favorite shows? VHS wouldn't work, nor would your DVD recorder, And what good would it do to re re-cord all your old treasured family videos if you couldn't watch them on anything? And before you say it, they don't sell Blu-Ray recorders yet. Not unless you want to lay down 10+ grand! So it's a good thing that a few "old fogeys" that think like me do exist I guess.
You really should get your facts straight first. Blu-ray recorders are available very cheaply. I've got one in my PC that costs less than $200 (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/LG+-+10x+In ... &cp=1&lp=3 $159 at best buy). Panasonic makes a home Blu-ray recording unit for under $800, and more are on the way.

Technology is going to move forward whether you like it or not. Things will always evolve and change. Those who refuse change will end up getting left behind.

tchon
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by tchon »

I selected 1024, while my monitor is actually 1280.
The reason is that I do not have my browser window open fullscreen, because when I start reading TDF I soon find myself having 4-5 browser windows open, each which at least eight tabs open, reading here and there ... I do not know, it just happens. :D Not having them fullscreen helps to switch between them.

So I prefer if threads remain readable at somewhat lower screen resolutions. This might also help members with poor eyesight who have to zoom up to read things.
However if someone posts pictures which are a bit too big and cause scrollbars to appear I do not bother. Most times the text is not that much important then anyway ;)

uch
Former Member

Post by uch »

Actually, unless you are using an ancient CRT that is less than 19 inches diagonal, chances are you won't have any problem with the larger resolutions. What limits most people is the video card, or if built into the motherboard, the on board video processor. If you get a video card that can go up to at least 1600x1200, then you shouldn't have a problem, as the standard operating systems allow for many different resolutions in between the maximum and the minimum. As long as you set the aspect ratio to match as closely as you can to whatever is being used on a website, it should look normal and the browser can be set to shrink the screen to fit, so that you don't need to scroll. But I think most would be happier to get a new monitor. They are pretty cheap now (about $100 for a decent LCD). I was forced to upgrade when a monitor went out (well, I actually had another one, but it was worse than the one I lost) and I kick myself for not upgrading sooner.
Pre Owned Realdoll - $2500 with Visa debit card
Pre Owned 1st Pc - $1700 with Visa debit card
The day I will finally be able to use either of them after the repairs are done - Priceless

dollfiles

Post by dollfiles »

1366 * 768

INFORMATIONS