betterlovedoll.com

I have a couple ideas for the forums...

This forum is devoted SOLELY to questions and answers regarding how to use the forum and other features of the "The Doll Forum" website. Questions or help regarding dolls should be posted elsewhere. Bug reports can also all be found here. If you encounter a bug, this is where to address it.
somethingrandom

I have a couple ideas for the forums...

Post by somethingrandom »

I hope this is the right place to post these, as they are not a help question and I'm not reporting a bug...

Just a couple ideas I had that might make these forums even better (if you agree with me and choose to implement them).

- There was a post recently about the chat being dead. I mentioned in that thread that if there was a shoutbox at the top of the main page, it would quickly show people that there are active chats happening and encourage them to participate. Having the chat on a separate link makes it too easy to ignore and not participate. I've seen some forums where the shoutbox was at top of every page (or at least most of them) so you could chat while you surfed the forums and didn't have to worry about missing anything or flipping between tabs.

- a "like" post feature. I've noticed that there are a lot of posts asking for suggestions, input or opinions, often from doll manufacturers or vendors. If there was a way to like some one else's suggestion it would help show the people who started the thread which responses are most popular or agreed upon by the users.

- The Doll Vendors forum has a subforum for each vendor, but no main forum. I would have thought if you wanted to ask a question of the vendors which any vendor could answer, that would have been the place to do it.

- If you had questions about modifying you doll yourself, would that go under the Inventors forum, or Repair and Maintenance? Perhaps one of theses should be renamed to add modification to the description as well.

Thanks for your time. :)

grimreefer24601

Re: I have a couple ideas for the forums...

Post by grimreefer24601 »

Ha, I was the one who posted about Chat. We actually got a fairly active chat going for a bit. I agree that something indicating if people were in the chat room would be a nice feature.

I'm not concerned about "liking" posts, but I'm the before Facebook generation.

Vendors, like myself, are going to be active in any forum users are active in. It just makes sense. Each post I make, including this one, puts my store, logo and web link in front of potential customers. Pose any question in Dolls in General, and I'll bet you get a vendor to respond. Probably at least me and Jeff.

Repair and Maintenance is the correct section to post questions about modifications. Inventors corner is more about sharing things you've created. It really doesn't matter, if you start a thread in one sub forum, and the mods think it should be somewhere else they'll move it.

Nescio50
Site Manager - CoverDoll
Site Manager - CoverDoll

Post by Nescio50 »

Hi somethingrandom, we do like ideas :idea: we like to improve TDF :)

Unfortunately we cannot make all the changes suggested, but still we like to hear your suggestions!

In regards to Chat. There is an entry in the main menu section of the index page. There is a link at the top right of each page, and most pages show who is in chat at the moment at the bottum (just above the ads).

A like feature. Our software system does not support this. But also, we prefer members to post telling why they do like it. To us that's better than just a click on a like button.

Modification are best posted about in the repair and maintenance section, unless it is really an invention. But this is also up to the poster.

I'm not sure about what you are saying about vendor's main sections and subsections. For all listed manufacturers and vendors at TDF there is one main section and a review section. For manufacturers there is also a maintenance and repair section. There may be a few exceptions, mostly for manufacturers/vendors who are no longer "listed" as we didn't add those subsections for them.

somethingrandom

Nescio50 wrote:I'm not sure about what you are saying about vendor's main sections and subsections. For all listed manufacturers and vendors at TDF there is one main section and a review section. For manufacturers there is also a maintenance and repair section. There may be a few exceptions, mostly for manufacturers/vendors who are no longer "listed" as we didn't add those subsections for them.
It's not a huge issue by any means but what I was talking about was the fact that on these forums: viewforum.php?f=210 you can not post anything at that level, there are no forums. You can click on any of the vendor forums and post there asking a question, but I figured if you wanted to ask all or any of the vendors a question you could do it where I linked to above.
Again, it's a very minor thing and perhaps not worth the hassle.

grimreefer24601

Post by grimreefer24601 »

There's not much point to a general vendor page. Honestly, I wouldn't respond to any thread in a vendor forum more than a thread in Dolls in General. If I have something to say I say it. Sometimes I regret it.

If you want to ask all or any vendor you can ask in the general forum. If you want to ask a specific vendor you ask in their specific forum.

The vendor forum is mainly for us to promote our products. I'm allowed to post more things in my forum than I can in the general forum. It's good because it limits sales spam.

Grim

somethingrandom

That makes sense. Thanks Grim.

INFORMATIONS