www.wmdolls.com

Looking for a male doll on a very tight budget (£100)

Devoted to owners and enthusiasts of Male dolls.
headintheclouds

Looking for a male doll on a very tight budget (£100)

Post by headintheclouds »

Hello, I have been lurking around your lovely forum for a few months now and thought it was about time I said hello. I'm looking into making my own male doll, for company not sex. In an ideal world it would be silicone and real looking but am willing to consider a less realistic looking guy given my budget.

I have seen a guy building a female doll from a skeleton frame which was my original idea (great minds :P) They can be picked up on ebay for about £50 then I would need to build up the skeleton with clay (or similar) before coating it in silicone/latex. Although I have no experience with this type of craft I would give it a go if it was cheap enough. Does anyone know what the cost of this would be?

I am fairly good with a needle so my next option would be a cloth doll, my concern with this is poses ie. would it look like a guy fawkes effigy? I'm not really wanting a floppy rag doll hanging about the place, I want a male presence in my house.

Anyway, that's me, that's what I'm wanting to do. :)

Dollarhyde
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Re: Looking for a male doll on a very tight budget (£100)

Post by Dollarhyde »

Hello headintheclouds and welcome to the forum... :D

Unfortunately, I think to be realistic your going to have to start saving like everyone else who has limited funds. Yes, there are a lot of ideas out there on creating your own doll but let me ask a question would you do major surgery on yourself after just reading a few books about surgical procedures.... :whistle:

Well the same goes for silicone dolls... they are works of art created by craftsmen who have been doing this for a long time and have the molds and the mixtures for making the silicone soft. You mentioned that you could pick up a skeleton for 50 but I think you are going to spend a lot more then just 50 by the time you get done... I've seen this with many kit car builders as well as many other individuals who get excited over a project and bit off more then they can chew because they have simply not done enough research into their project ie. challenges, cost overrun, unseen issues just to name a few.

Probably your best bet is to start off with a male mannequin and work way up from there. I'm sure our mannequin members can help you in that department since you can probably find a male for about your budget or cheaper.

Good luck with your search... :glou:
viewtopic.php?f=231&t=69369 NEWBIES WELCOME PAGE
http://www.dollalbum.com/dollgallery/in ... ?cat=13267
"Dammit Jim I'm a doctor, not a doll maker!"

headintheclouds

Thanks Dollarhyde, I don't think I could ever justify spending £4k plus on a doll. Although the silicone doll maybe too ambitious for a DIY project I think a fabric one would be within my reach, I am pretty good at stitching, if I do say so myself. :P

I hadn't thought of a mannequin though, this would probably be the cheapest and fastest option for now.

Thank you. X

netwit
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by netwit »

Welcome to the forum, headintheclouds. Glad you chose to join :thumbs_up:
I wanted to mention that fabric dolls are no easy chore either. To make anything
even somewhat decent looking, the body needs to be assembled from from multiple
segments of materials. You'd need to plan everything well in advance or you'll waste
fabric and time.
Check this post from a crafty, custom fabric doll maker; this may inspire or scare you:
http://www.dollforum.com/forum/viewtopi ... =6&t=43523
and his latest:
http://www.dollforum.com/forum/viewtopi ... =6&t=51409

Anyway, have fun with whatever you do.

...............I'd hit dat
Remembering Jenna

Dollarhyde
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by Dollarhyde »

headintheclouds wrote:Thanks Dollarhyde, I don't think I could ever justify spending £4k plus on a doll. Although the silicone doll maybe too ambitious for a DIY project I think a fabric one would be within my reach, I am pretty good at stitching, if I do say so myself. :P

I hadn't thought of a mannequin though, this would probably be the cheapest and fastest option for now.

Thank you. X
There are forum members here who are really into Mannequins you could probably ask them on the best way to modify the mannequin and where to get the best prices.

As Netwit indicated fabric ones are not an easy chore either... Good luck... :glou:
viewtopic.php?f=231&t=69369 NEWBIES WELCOME PAGE
http://www.dollalbum.com/dollgallery/in ... ?cat=13267
"Dammit Jim I'm a doctor, not a doll maker!"

headintheclouds

Thanks guys, way to rain on my parade, I know where to come for a pick me up! Only jesting.

The guys doll that you linked Netwit is definitely interesting... Not quite what I was going for but helpful none the less.

I *may* have found a mannequin I like on ebay although I'll wait to link him because a) I might not win him and b) one of you guys might be alerted to his presence and outbid me. :P

X

INFORMATIONS