dollstudio.org

Jinshan skin tones - color shift

Dollstudio focuses on life-like dolls made of silicone and TPE, with products spanning from life-sized love dolls and manikins over miniature companions to 1/6 scale miniatures. Based in Europe, Dollstudio is an authorized vendor for respected manufacturers like Doll Sweet, Ruby13, Maidlee Doll, Dream Doll Creation, OR Doll, WM Dolls, YL Doll, JM Doll, Sanhui, Hitdoll, Onedoll, and Lovely Doll. By default, we're shipping from Germany with all customs and taxes cleared.
Agalmatoreveur

Re: Jinshan skin tones - color shift

Post by Agalmatoreveur »

A good start would be if all the vendors stopped this "Light Tan" nonsense, and just used the names Jinsan does, like "Medium" instead of "Light Tan." This only adds to the confusion caused by the lack of consistency with skin tone.

Dollstudio
VENDOR
VENDOR

Post by Dollstudio »

@FCD94: Nothing will match if there are no defined skin tones.

If skin tones from 2018, early 2019 and happen to be similar nethertheless, it's just good luck, like winning the lottery.

There is no way to predict the outcome as factory confirmation photos are inconclusive and Jinsan skin tone samples do not have a timestamp, so even with physical samples you wouldn't know which pigmentation composition they represent.

The lack of clearly defines skin tones at Jinsan is the most absurd finding since I am in this business, and it is absolutely horrible to deal with, as well for customers as for vendors!

Sandro
Dollstudio EU - Customers from EU countries, please visit eu.dollstudio.org (in English)
Dollstudio US - Customers from the U.S., Canada and outside the EU, please visit us.dollstudio.org (in English)
Dollstudio DE - Kunden aus Deutschland sind willkommen auf de.dollstudio.org (in Deutsch)

Get news & updates on Twitter - Dollstudio @Twitter

DS Doll Europe (EU) - Customers from EU countries, please visit en.dsdolleurope.com (in English)

Dollstudio Dollworks Adapter System - Create your hybrid doll!

Agalmatoreveur

Post by Agalmatoreveur »

I'm curious about whether you think this is just about skin tones, or TPE consistency. I've only received three dolls from Jinsan, all three being from this year, but they are all different softness levels. The first was what I'd call "perfect," soft and supple. The second was like a barbie doll (slight exaggeration, but it may as well have been). Great for photography, as it was so hard, you could manipulate the joints easily, but useless as a "companion." The third was super soft, but that was because it was requested that way.

Have you noticed a huge lack of consistency with softness?

Dollstudio
VENDOR
VENDOR

Post by Dollstudio »

@Agalmatoreveur: Yes, the TPE composition changes at Jinsan every couple of months.

However, this is normal at all Chinese doll manufacturers I know. Some use different TPE compositions based on the time of the year, I think that has to do with seasonal humidity and/or temperature. Usually these changes serve the purpose of refinement, so it's not a bad thing in principle. But what's bad from my point of view is that these changes always happen unannounced.

Regarding softness I can not confirm that I have seen (touched) a rather firm Jinsan TPE blend in years. If you got one soft and one significantly firmer Jinsan doll in the past months, this might have to do with mysterious entities like overflow factories (e.g. Shang Mei Gong Yi) or even more 'inofficial' sources (e.g. counterfeiting suppliers). Btw, the really bizarre thing is that I have some reports from doll collectors (with 8+ TPE dolls from varying sources) that skin color consistency can be better at counterfeiting factories than at Jinsan. Maybe these try harder to match and reproduce skin colors.

Another 'slightly' strange observation is that in some factories TPE blend firmness seems to depend on the skin color. We noticed that with TPE samples from Hitdoll/Ildoll (Guangzhou Xinzhongyi Environmental Technology Co., Ltd.), same shipment from May 2019. 'White' and 'medium' are medium-soft, 'tan' is firmest and 'dark' is softest. Similar deviations might occur at other factories, too.

Sandro
Dollstudio EU - Customers from EU countries, please visit eu.dollstudio.org (in English)
Dollstudio US - Customers from the U.S., Canada and outside the EU, please visit us.dollstudio.org (in English)
Dollstudio DE - Kunden aus Deutschland sind willkommen auf de.dollstudio.org (in Deutsch)

Get news & updates on Twitter - Dollstudio @Twitter

DS Doll Europe (EU) - Customers from EU countries, please visit en.dsdolleurope.com (in English)

Dollstudio Dollworks Adapter System - Create your hybrid doll!

FCD94
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by FCD94 »

Dollstudio wrote:@FCD94: Nothing will match if there are no defined skin tones.
Ah crap. Which do you think might be the closest match with the old Medium Tan, based on this update? Would it be Medium?? 8O

Mitchell Hart
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Mitchell Hart »

Dollstudio wrote:Hi,

let's update this thread a bit.

Based on material samples we get for Indigo's TPE repair kit, so far we assumed that there is a continuous color shift for the Jinsan skin colors.

According to the most recent narrative, we were wrong.
There is no color shift.
It's much better than just a trite color shift…

Like shown above, there were at least three very similar 'natural' in 2017.
At some point in 2018, the skin color 'dark tan' was phased out or replaced by a new color called 'cocoa'.

Since the Jinsan factory does not have official skin color labels, each vendor invents own labels - or uses labels used by other vendors.
So it is not really clear if old colors are being replaced by new compositions, or if as well labels as the colors itself change.

Now there is a new facette to the skin color lottery: There are no defined skin colors at Jinsan factory!

What gives us this weird idea?
wm-dolls-wm-166-body-tisha-no-311-head-factory-06.jpg
wm-dolls-wm-166-body-tisha-no-311-head-factory-05.jpg
The above are factory photos from Jinsan for a doll in skin color 'cocoa' as of 07/2019.
Both pictures are supposed to show the same doll.
One photo has frontal lightning and the other one has more shadows, so it's credible that both pictures show the same doll.
Everybody has seen this kind of factory confirmation photos.

Confirmation that the doll is right. Well…
How is anyone supposed to assess a skin color with inconsistent color reproductions as above?

Anyway, it gets even crazier.
Believe me, it's real WTF, so please feel free to read on.

The skin color was not exactly as the customer had expected.
He thought he knew because he already had a doll in a skin color he believed to be 'cocoa'.
He could even prove it:
natural-light-tan-tan-cocoa-black.jpg
The picture above shows a selection from the customer's collection. LTR: #35 in 'natural', #266 in 'light tan', #159 in 'tan', #273 in 'cocoa' (this is skin color customer expected), #263 in 'black', and #311 in … 'cocoa'.

#273 and #311 are both cocoa? Really?

If the skin colors of #273 and #311 are not identical in your vision, there is only one explanation: You are color blind!

… but wait, there is yet another much more creative explanation from my TDF-approved supplier for WM:
[…] Factory has no standard on skin tone.
Now the Coca is like that.
Even we make again, it would be different from what he wants. […]
That's a big fat WTF, right?

Sandro
This doll pictured is of real interest to me. What is her make and model I am confused, thanks.
Lovely Everly (WM 5’2 157b 62 lbs 159 face)
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=136966

EVERLY My blonde baby doll!
viewtopic.php?f=215&t=137005

Sweet Cocoa Puffs (Jettie) YL 148D
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=142265

Jack White

Post by Jack White »

Hi,
if you are referring to the first picture of the post you quoted, it's a WM-166 Doll.
I wanted it to be produced in <jinsan dark tan> but instead she was produced in <jinsan cocoa/light ebony>.

Greetings,
Jack

PDutus
~ Member ~
~ Member ~

Post by PDutus »

Jack White wrote:Hi,
if you are referring to the first picture of the post you quoted, it's a WM-166 Doll.
I wanted it to be produced in <jinsan dark tan> but instead she was produced in <jinsan cocoa/light ebony>.

Greetings,
Jack
Funnily enough, when I was going for a dark-skinned WM, my vendor (Paul at Cloud Climax) recommended that I go for the cocoa one as in his opinion (which I respect) the darker one didn't look very natural.

Happy with the cocoa, although it would be interesting to see the very dark one in the flesh.
My girls:
Sophie - JY 175 (JY Head #167)
Valentina - JY 175 (JY Head #101)
Kiania - Sino 161 (Heads S6 & S7)
Rashona - WM 172B (WM Head #64)
Helga - JY 166 (JY head #101)
Patsy - JY 166 (JY Head #102)
Ingrid - JY 166 (SM Head #76)
Monique - JY 165SR (JY Head #134)

INFORMATIONS