dollstudio.org

The slow death of silicone dolls

Dollstudio focuses on life-like dolls made of silicone and TPE, with products spanning from life-sized love dolls and manikins over miniature companions to 1/6 scale miniatures. Based in Europe, Dollstudio is an authorized vendor for respected manufacturers like Doll Sweet, Ruby13, Maidlee Doll, Dream Doll Creation, OR Doll, WM Dolls, YL Doll, JM Doll, Sanhui, Hitdoll, Onedoll, and Lovely Doll. By default, we're shipping from Germany with all customs and taxes cleared.
grimreefer24601

Re: The slow death of silicone dolls

Post by grimreefer24601 »

Do you want to develop a Silicone doll?

I might be interested in such a product. I've done some work on skeleton repair on TPE. I'm somewhat familiar with silicone molding. I'm not sure I'm confident with my skills at modeling a female body, but I think I could work with it from there. I've got a couple of contacts here on TDF that I'm pretty sure would answer a few questions for me.

Price is the key issue I think. Silicone is going for way more than TPE. With less options.

Let me look into it.

matt gloss
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by matt gloss »

Hi,is it RTV silicone that is used for dolls? or if not would someone educate a pilgrim please..
Matt

rubherkitty
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle
Location: Interstate 44 with 10 long-haired Friends a' Jesus In a chartreuse micra-bus

Post by rubherkitty »

matt gloss wrote:Hi,is it RTV silicone that is used for dolls? or if not would someone educate a pilgrim please..
Matt
RTV is single blend silicone > Sealer or Caulk

Doll silicone: https://www.smooth-on.com/category/platinum-silicone/
Ecoflex blend.
Going downtown. Gonna see my gal. Gonna sing her a song. I'm gonna show her my ding dong! C&C

matt gloss
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by matt gloss »

Thanks rubherkitty :thumbs_up:
What would be the 'average' shore hardness for a silicone doll?
Matt
ps still laughing at the hog tied trespassers sign...

siliconelover
Doll Guru
Doll Guru

Post by siliconelover »

Silicone Forever

4 Dolls currently and a new Mechadoll in my future ...

No TPE for me 8)
SEX, DOLLS and ROCK & ROLL

coralsheep91
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by coralsheep91 »

I agree 100%

TPE dolls are way better anyway.

I have owned many silicone dolls but after buying one TPE dolls, I will never go back to silicone...

Coral
Kim: YL155 custom A cup with WM74 head

rubherkitty
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle
Location: Interstate 44 with 10 long-haired Friends a' Jesus In a chartreuse micra-bus

Post by rubherkitty »

matt gloss wrote:Thanks rubherkitty :thumbs_up:
What would be the 'average' shore hardness for a silicone doll?
Matt
ps still laughing at the hog tied trespassers sign...
Some dolls use a mix. 30 or 20 for the body. 10 for stomach, butt & tits. Gel for butt and tit core.
Then you can add Slacker to make the 3, 2 or 1 a softer feel.
I have a insert for my plastic doll I made out of 10 w/ slacker and it's pretty nice. TPE is softer, but those inserts always became sticky and needed powdering. Got even gummier then became a mess that I tossed out. I've gone through 2 fleshlights then a Jap toy that was really nice feeling, but it got tossed eventually too. The silicone never has sticky issues.

Exact blend chosen by doll makers is still kind of kept secret. One doll maker I corresponded with said the softer silicone will have more stretch and less chance of tearing while most member's here think harder means stronger. Storing or handling any doll requires max surface support to avoid tearing, especially as the doll gets heavier.

I bought a, TDF vendor offered, no name brand Chinese made silicone doll 2nd hand that had tearing due to poor skeleton design. Thought I could fix it, but the silicone was such poor quality that the doll is still in the box. Had 1/2 the elasticity of Ecoflex before it broke. So, not all silicone is the same.
Going downtown. Gonna see my gal. Gonna sing her a song. I'm gonna show her my ding dong! C&C

matt gloss
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by matt gloss »

Thanks RK I have more to learn and your help is appreciated.
Matt

Begog
Doll Patriarch
Doll Patriarch

Post by Begog »

siliconelover wrote:Silicone Forever

No TPE for me 8)
You might change your tune on that if you screwed a good TPE doll. Not only are they softer and more jiggly, but them bitches can FUCK! Not to mention survive a pounding and achieve positions that would break most silicone dolls.

I almost never disagree with RK, but silicone dolls can indeed get tacky. Try washing one with soap and water. She will need powder just like a TPE doll.

rubherkitty
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by rubherkitty »

Hey Begog
True, silicone is not void of tacky. The softer the silicone the more tacky it is. My Eco 10 w/ slacker insert needed powdering a couple of times when new, but as long as I rinse it w/ water it dries out fine. I do lightly power the outside of the insert just before I install it in my plastic doll so it goes in easier. My insert is 9", which I don't make full use of, so it's a trick to install! :lol:

My fleshlights were good for a couple of months, but just got gummier and cracked surfacing over time. I only washed them w/ water, air dried and powdered, but did not oil them as what seems to be in vogue now.
Of course there are different blends of TPE and TPE dolls may use a more robust blend than a sleeve is made of.

siliconelover
Doll Guru
Doll Guru

Post by siliconelover »

Begog wrote:
siliconelover wrote:Silicone Forever

No TPE for me 8)
You might change your tune on that if you screwed a good TPE doll. Not only are they softer and more jiggly, but them bitches can FUCK! Not to mention survive a pounding and achieve positions that would break most silicone dolls.

I almost never disagree with RK, but silicone dolls can indeed get tacky. Try washing one with soap and water. She will need powder just like a TPE doll.
I don't want or wish for softer. I don't want a squishy doll. I like the Reality of the silicone dolls I have, the way it mimics the human bodies structure and feel. My Ruby13 Brazil is the perfect sex doll and my Mech/MPD Leeloo while a tank and original doll tech is very realistic with breasts that no doll (other than Brazil) can come close to. (ReaLDOLL excluded). She also has textured skin (the first to ever) and no stickiness.

I don't powder my dolls although my Z-Onedoll does benefit from it.

I don't care for (and don't want to deal with) TPE, but that's just me 8)
SEX, DOLLS and ROCK & ROLL

rubherkitty
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by rubherkitty »

Good point SL.
Something I have mentioned before in the past as well. Body types and firm vs squishy. I don't mind a firm doll as I'm more into the petite hard body idea. Taught, oiled, muscle tone. A person that likes a fuller figured doll may want the soft & squishy that TPE offers.

Choices are good. :thumbs_up:

Darkangel65
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by Darkangel65 »

I think there will always be a market for silcone some new silcone dolls coming out from various company's at the moment....not all company's need doll boards or vendors to promote their product.
When silcone dolls first appeared in the mid nighties they were a niche market for people who could afford them,now the last few years we have seen the market flooded with cheap Tpe dolls....good if you want a disposable doll...I own two silcone dolls at present and have had a jM doll and ds doll in silcone...I have expierenced a Tpe doll and I was not impressed! Oily,smelly,fragile,bland colouring and easy to stain and tear....have I had these issues with silcone....no!....
Each to there own....but I do not think silcone is dying.
NIK GUERRA: A true artist and Retro glamour lover...please google his work featuring Magenta

Ownerfckdoll
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by Ownerfckdoll »

As long as there are advantages, I don't think silicone is going anywhere.

Yes, it's more expensive, but, in general, it's more durable and it smells/tastes better. So unless a type of TPE comes out that has those same criteria as silicone, there will be a market for silicone.

Just because you can buy a new small car for $15,000, doesn't mean that the luxury sports cars are going away.

There's more car manufacturers and makes of cars sub $35K than there are luxury sports car manufactuers and makes that are $70K+. Same thing with dolls. There's going to be a lot more manufactuers making sub $2K TPE dolls than luxury dolls that cost $6K+, but as long as silicone has some advantages over TPE, I don't think silicone dolls are going anywhere.

But we'll see.

haremlover
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary

Post by haremlover »

Your perspective on the business model is interesting and I can understand where you're coming from.

But actually the TPE manufacturers are really now under pressure because competition from silicone in a merely slightly higher echelon in price has come from JM and Sanhui, the latest of which is truly excellent, and DS which are possibly more but, to use English understatement, rather good.

Sino-doll are coming along and I have great expectations of them.

Silicone dolls are far from dead and that's why I've been encouraging of them particularly recently as they are significantly good alternatives to TPE

One TPE manufacturer is planning on branching into silicone - they know where the market leads.

Best wishes

Harem

INFORMATIONS