www.yourdoll.com

Thrift shopping

Clothing, footwear, hats, gloves, jewelry, etc. Store bought, modified and handmade.
Bozis65
Active Poster
Active Poster

Thrift shopping

Post by Bozis65 »

How did you guys get the courage to actually go out and buy the clothes in person. Ive been wanting to but just cant get enough nerve to do it. I will feel like they will judge so hard. Like a guy all alone getting little girl clothes. I keep thinking the thrift store worker will be thinking im some sort of pedo. So pretty much im asking for some words of encouragement to make me feel like i wont be judge for doing it.

Mr Franz
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary

Re: Thrift shopping

Post by Mr Franz »

Ain't no thing for me. I grew up with 3 older sisters. Went shopping with them all the time. I probably know more about women's clothes and sizing than most women. Been my experience that most people pay very little mind to others shopping. Especially the clerks. They're more interested in when their shift ends.

That said, you can get just about everything you need online these days. Even thrift items. Swap.com is one of my favorite places to shop. All secondhand name brand stuff at rock bottom prices. For lingerie I usually turn to eBay. Lots of hard to find sizes and styles difficult to find in stores. So don't sweat it. Hit the retail establishments if you're so inclined or skip the hassle and shop online. Hey that rhymes! 8)

Broven
Doll Patriarch
Doll Patriarch

Post by Broven »

I have the same fears about it as you. But I made myself do it, thinking I could just say they're for my daughter. In the end, after 4 trips to buy from local shops, nobody has ever said anything at all about it, or even looked like they cared. It's probably a little unusual for a father to shop for their daughter, but it must happen often enough that nobody thinks twice about it. Maybe just don't buy a bunch of young girl outfits AND negligee at the same time. lol

"You're my blue sky. You're my sunny day." - Dickey Betts

Anna Marie and Friends (Thindoll 162A-36)
February 2019 Coverdoll photo shoot

rubherkitty
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle
Location: Interstate 44 with 10 long-haired Friends a' Jesus In a chartreuse micra-bus

Post by rubherkitty »

Buy the clothes you want + some other odd stuff too that you want or can donate back later!
Going downtown. Gonna see my gal. Gonna sing her a song. I'm gonna show her my ding dong! C&C

jabbamill2
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by jabbamill2 »

Yes I've thought of this too! But frist learn your doll's bust , waste ,hip measurements. Get a tailor's tape measuring tape with metric and imperial [regular USA] measurements. Now when you go out to shop take the tape measuring tape with you so you can get clothes that will fit. Also measure the bottom of her feet,then the bottom of any shoes you want too. Like my doll's foot size is 8 inches and then I measure the shoes and if it's s bit longer than 8 inch your in! Wal Mart and Target are good too just check out at the self surve check out! But learn your doll's measurements so you don't have to spend a lot of time in thrift stores!

rubherkitty
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle
Location: Interstate 44 with 10 long-haired Friends a' Jesus In a chartreuse micra-bus

Post by rubherkitty »

Jabba, if your doll has a 8" foot, it's probably a full size doll.
The OP was talking about a smaller doll. There the problem lies in buying crop tops, shorts and mini skirts in the little girl size 8 section. :wink:

Clothes for a full size doll should be easier unless that size fits you. Then they'll just think you're a cross dresser. :lol: I'm 6/1 220lbs w/a grey beard so when I buy little girl booty shorts they just figure I'm a perv. Oh well! 8O
Going downtown. Gonna see my gal. Gonna sing her a song. I'm gonna show her my ding dong! C&C

Dutch Dance Maniac
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor
Location: The Netherlands. Electronic Dance Music Country number 1 !!!

Post by Dutch Dance Maniac »

I know my own clothing size and what I like, That's enough for me to buy everything nice online because a lot of what I wear is not at all in ordinary stores for sale but only through online shops.
Even my shoes i buy online, much more choice then a real store has to offer.
And I certainly do not like the store in and out of store ...... and so on.

Even for my Timea i buy most stuff online, sometime's i buy clotings for her in a child store but that's it.
Timea. WM157B #159

Daisy. WM163C #162

Mariëlle. DutchDoll 148-CM

However Unreal This May Be...... We Are Connected You And I.
We Are On The Same Curve, Point Of All Is:
We Share The Same Secret. We Love Our Dolls And Our LifeStyle.
That Makes Us Who We Really Are. Pure, Loving and Caring.
Welcome Into Our World.

Rock13
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Post by Rock13 »

If I go to Wal Mart then I just use the self-check. However, I bought some beige tights to use as insulation between Hadleigh's skin and her dark clothing at JC Penney. The clerk was a little bit coy and flirty and said "These aren't for you are they?" I said "They're for my robot companion" and she smiled and said "No way!" and then handed me my receipt and I walked out.
Hadleigh is a fair-skinned WM163C/#188, Harper (#124) is a medium toned WM164D, Kendall is a fair-skinned 163C/#398. All via RLSD.

Link to Hadleigh's photo thread

Link to Harper's photo thread

Link to Kendall's photo thread

Link to the H2K Ranch

MinniMagg

Post by MinniMagg »

Unfortunately there are SO MANY dad's out there that have a young daughter. I have NO problem shopping for clothes and sometimes find something for me too, especially at a thrift store. I even carry a fabric tape measure and it women 'Lear' at me as I'm looking through women's/ girls clothes I simply say "Why isn't a size 6/7 shorts in this brand measure smaller than this one!" They actually help sometimes.

I've also had good luck here http://www.lightinthebox.com/ Sometimes delivery is slow, but the stuff is inexpensive and I've gotten some nice things from them. Like a REAL nice quality silky robe for $12. Make sure to look for any 'coupons' on the net as i save 25% last order.

I was at Walmart last night getting groceries and found 2 pairs of shoes for my Doll (Teenage size 1) and since I am decent at using a sewing machine I needed Bobbins, special marking pencils from the crafts area.

Then came the girls T-shirt with a plunging neckline and a pack of girls socks.

She was not 'phased' by it (They don't care).

I commented on the sewing supplies and said "Thank god I learned to sew as my daughter begged me for this shirt and it's too big, and there is NO WAY she's wearing THAT deep cut in the front! I happened to watch a you-tube video the a girl showed how to turn it inside out, Pin in up and sew it inside out. So now I can give it a try for 'My girl'. Even if it's not 100% perfect she'll appreciate the effort!"

She smiled and said she didn't know how to sew, and knew exactly what I was facing. I replied "I just hope I can get her to put her cell phone down long enough so I don't stick her with a pin!" She laughed said "Ain't the the truth!" and cashed me out.

Bottom line is DON'T look creepy have measurements written down and feel free to measure! If questioned, question back (Like "Why are different brand size 7 not really the same? is a girls size 13 shoe and same and a size 1 in woman's?") They won't care, or maybe help.

Now, it you are looking for a size 36H cup bra on your own, that's a whole different story.....

Sewing is really not that hard. My machine was 2nd hand and I abuse the crap out of it (Re-Sewing dirty boat tarps, leather motorcycle seats, my 'work jeans' that I can make 2 decent pairs out of 3 bad ones). I had a neighbor show me the basics and anyone can learn it. Then 'Pulling in the waistline' or making 'darts' in a blouse to highlight her boobs gets easier with time. Yeh, the fist few I made SUCKED, but they were $3 each at the thrift store! So it was a cheap learning experience.

rubherkitty
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by rubherkitty »

If any sales clerk is suspicious, it's probably when a man buys womens clothes that fit him. Little girl clothes not so much.
Unless you did like I did at a new to me thrift store that was kind of out of the way. I stocked up on the trashiest tops, mini skirts, shorts, sports bras, belts, etc that would fit a 10 yr old + a pair of black gogo boots! Looked like I was outfitting a preteen stripper! :lol: I thought the young lady at the register was going to faint! :D

Urdor Izajar
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by Urdor Izajar »

The easiest way to pop your cherry is to only buy everyday clothing your first couple of trips. Jeans and a shirt will work. Just an outfit or two the first couple of times to get used to buying women's clothing. Work your way up from there.

Ps. The first time I went to an adult store I straight up told them I was shopping for my sex doll and they didn't care.
#62 and #74 and #108 heads on a 140D, 155A, or 166C
Beth, Eliza, Nikki

Bob Ross speaks to me when I'm doing makeup. He says "Don't mess up or your going to have to put a happy tree there."

Bobby Carrot

Post by Bobby Carrot »

Bozis65 wrote:How did you guys get the courage to actually go out and buy the clothes in person. Ive been wanting to but just cant get enough nerve to do it. I will feel like they will judge so hard. Like a guy all alone getting little girl clothes. I keep thinking the thrift store worker will be thinking im some sort of pedo. So pretty much im asking for some words of encouragement to make me feel like i wont be judge for doing it.
Whenever I go into a store, I don't think very highly of "the labor" there. And that's what they are....minimum-wage people who are just trying to get through the day at a job that they probably hate. Try to do self-checkout if you are really that worried, but most people will not even think twice about what you're buying. They will naturally assume you are shopping for a child that belongs to you. Just don't be sweating profusely or anxious when at the cashier, and you should be good.

LoversJD
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by LoversJD »

Why not buy the clothing online? You get far more information online (size charts). The returns process is also easier.
Perception - "We don't see things as they are. We see them as we are." Anais Nin

XYDoll Monika 148cm -

Rock13
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Post by Rock13 »

LoversJD wrote:Why not buy the clothing online? You get far more information online (size charts). The returns process is also easier.
When buying online it's important to check the reviews, especially the survey tables like Amazon's that provide %'s of reviewers who checked the "runs small", "fits as expected", and "runs large" check boxes.
Hadleigh is a fair-skinned WM163C/#188, Harper (#124) is a medium toned WM164D, Kendall is a fair-skinned 163C/#398. All via RLSD.

Link to Hadleigh's photo thread

Link to Harper's photo thread

Link to Kendall's photo thread

Link to the H2K Ranch

INFORMATIONS