sexyrealsexdolls.com

Container Suggestions?

Mods, Repairs & Maintenance related specifically to not specifically listed Silicone Dolls
BaconBits
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Container Suggestions?

Post by BaconBits »

Hey, Im getting a new doll soon. She's about 4.9 feet or 152 cm tall. I am looking for suggestions on a inexpensive case/trunk/container to keep her in, like what would be the best dimensions to shop for to secure her snugly without damaging or squishing her in there? Preferably one where I can fold her up inside to save space, but I have a follow up concern if folding a doll for extended periods could cause stretching damage to her skin? And if so, is there a best container to fold her inside that would put less strain on her skin, for example, a container where it would require minimal folding of her arms and legs. I'd also need a container that has a lock. I have roommates and dont want them to find out whats inside. Any options you guys know about? Would appreciate it. Thanks.

Maviarab
Doll Patriarch
Doll Patriarch

Re: Container Suggestions?

Post by Maviarab »

Do not fold her up!

And I would perhaps a recommend a flight case then. They are metal and fully lockable. A number of vendors sell them but you can find them on most big online sites etc.

BaconBits
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by BaconBits »

Thank you for the reply.
Flight case seems to be a great size and it's lockable, but they are very expensive, Im seeing ones for like 300-500 dollars. Yikes.

HRHuffinpuff

Post by HRHuffinpuff »

My current doll storage box is an outdoor deck storage box for lawn and patio stuff. Molded plastic with a hole in the lid to accommodate a padlock. Not going to keep burglars out, but you can tell if someone forced it open. I purchased one long enough to leave the head on my doll, and it ended up having more than enough storage space for all the accessories I have managed to buy so far. Bonus thing, the end piece will slide out when the lid is opened, making it easy to pull heavy dolls out the end so that one does not have to bend over and pick it up over the side wall. Doesn't look to out of place in my room, I have other stuff stacked on it usually.

BaconBits
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by BaconBits »

HRHuffinpuff wrote:My current doll storage box is an outdoor deck storage box for lawn and patio stuff. Molded plastic with a hole in the lid to accommodate a padlock. Not going to keep burglars out, but you can tell if someone forced it open. I purchased one long enough to leave the head on my doll, and it ended up having more than enough storage space for all the accessories I have managed to buy so far. Bonus thing, the end piece will slide out when the lid is opened, making it easy to pull heavy dolls out the end so that one does not have to bend over and pick it up over the side wall. Doesn't look to out of place in my room, I have other stuff stacked on it usually.
That sounds more like what I could afford. You know the brand or the measurements or any more info on it?

HRHuffinpuff

Post by HRHuffinpuff »

BaconBits wrote:That sounds more like what I could afford. You know the brand or the measurements or any more info on it?
Just do a search for outdoor storage or deck storage box on any website you are comfortable shopping on. I think I ordered mine from either Sears or Amazon. The one I bought was long enough to hold my doll with a little extra wiggle room, so the measurements I had in mind when I ordered might not work for what you need. I would also look for something that would accommodate the box that a doll would arrive to you in. There is free foam and stuffing in a fairly durable box. I did cut off the end of my doll's shipping box for her head, so you may want to plan extra for that as well. If you want a padlock compatible lid, make sure it is listed as a feature. The pictures may be of a similar model, but adding a hole for a padlock or cable would not be difficult with the materials used.

There are a couple of "wicker" style (still made of molded plastic) that would not look out of place as a bedding storage chest at the food of a bed.

A little bit of warning, if you store a full size doll in the bottom, it may be problematic to lift it all the way out of the box. I eventually solved this by buying lidded plastic totes (full of accessories and doll clothes) to line the bottom of the box, making it so the the doll was raised to almost half depth, making it easier for me to lift her out. Removing the end piece eventually became a pain, as I had to remove all the stuff stored on top of the dolls box, set it aside, remove the sidewall, and make sure everything was out of the way to slide the doll out. Now the doll is lifted out, the doll box is easily lifted out and set on end, and then I can dig through the clothes and wigs, closing the totes when I am done.

Boobman
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by Boobman »

The forum search function is a useful tool. Amazon sells chests that will work for some doll sizes, others have made chests etc. I have a set of plans from about 2 decades ago now when Norm Abram had his show New Yankee Workshop for a blanket chest he made on that show.

MaDHOT
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by MaDHOT »

I have a flight case and it is very heavy empty and won't be any lighter with a doll in it. Took two men and a skid steer to get it inside the house; the stairs were the worst part. She only weighs around 50lbs too. However, if you do not need to contend with stairs or prying eyes, it is an ideal setup and would still say it is, based on how easy(er) it makes moving her great distances.

Many manufacturers will be able to assist you getting a flight case upon request and they are around $500; I do not regret getting one. As a matter of fact, she is in her box right now due to my home requiring emergency maintenance... boy, that would have been awkward, with all the crews that came noseing around. Wasn't cheap nor easy but well worth it. Thankfully though, my doll is only 138cm and 50lbs, yours will definitely be a bigger, heavier box.

Only difficulty is shipping and delivery.... this is a whole other ball game. However, selling her might be easier if it comes down to it. If you have the money for the box as well as the excess shipping weight, then go for it. In the end, it might be the only thing remaining. I would not buy a doll over 4.5 feet without one. Most sellers and manufacturers will try and discourage you on getting one but persist. Others will try to sell both separately but request you receive the doll inside the case. This way, when you get the doll inside the case, you also get the foam that contours the doll to keep her in place inside the case.

Though be ready to fork out more for this service; for me, $$ wasn't the issue... proper convenience was. This is doing it right.

Cheapest method is to preserve the box she came in but those aren't much easier to move around; the flight case has handles, locks and wheels.

Not everyone will agree with me though.

BuilderOfCastles

Post by BuilderOfCastles »

A flight case is indeed a hefty price... and most of it is shipping. (this one pictured cost $150 fed Excuse)

However, this flight case will last longer than your doll.
It will last longer than any Ikea furniture.
It will be around when they bury you

And so, is truly a good investment... but that doesn't get you half a G to afford it.

Further, this box is 50lbs.
It is definitely made to be rolled.

I make my flight cases from ¼" 5 layer Baltic Birch.

Most of the import cases are made from ⅛" plywood. Much lighter, much cheaper
But still expensive. (actually, almost the same cost)

Other options are large duffle bags (using PVC pipes in the corners to keep it square)
and the plastic outdoor bins described above.
You could also get a gun safe.

All i can say is a good flight case is a good investment.

RedBox06.JPG
RedBox06.JPG (165.72 KiB) Viewed 1356 times

Dolly_Llama
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by Dolly_Llama »

Old thread, but here’s another storage option that might work for some people:

Vertical tool cabinet

Around the same price as a flight case, unfortunately, but can store a doll standing/suspended which is important for anyone with a doll that has a gel butt. These cabinets are fairly heavy duty steel and typically come with robust caster wheels and are lockable. You won’t be transporting your doll in one, but she’ll be safe and we’ll protected.

Dolly_Llama
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by Dolly_Llama »

BuilderOfCastles wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 2:56 pm A flight case is indeed a hefty price... and most of it is shipping. (this one pictured cost $150 fed Excuse)

However, this flight case will last longer than your doll.
It will last longer than any Ikea furniture.
It will be around when they bury you

And so, is truly a good investment... but that doesn't get you half a G to afford it.

Further, this box is 50lbs.
It is definitely made to be rolled.

I make my flight cases from ¼" 5 layer Baltic Birch.

Most of the import cases are made from ⅛" plywood. Much lighter, much cheaper
But still expensive. (actually, almost the same cost)

Other options are large duffle bags (using PVC pipes in the corners to keep it square)
and the plastic outdoor bins described above.
You could also get a gun safe.

All i can say is a good flight case is a good investment.

RedBox06.JPG
That’s a nice looking and well made case!

GrimDog9000

Post by GrimDog9000 »

I would suggest a artificial Christmas tree bag. With a layer of Memory foam on the bottom. And a luggage lock.

https://www.amazon.com/Christmas-Tree-B ... s+Tree+Bag

INFORMATIONS