sexyrealsexdolls.com

Green screening and my latest contest photo.

No matter how great your camera might be, it is how you apply your skills that makes the difference between an OK shot and a great shot. Here you can talk technical, talk creative, share your techniques, lighting, and digital editing. This is where we can all help each other to take better photos.
If you post a photo here and are looking for a critique, you should be prepared for honest criticism even if it hurts. It will only help to make us better photographers.

Moderator: Swan

SpiritfireM
Retired Server Admin
Retired Server Admin

Green screening and my latest contest photo.

Post by SpiritfireM »

It was suggested to me that I write up a post of exactly how I did the latest photo for the contest, so I'm writing up a little tutorial on how it works.

The concept I had for this photo was a take on the screenshot from American Beauty.

The photo was done on a green screen, with an added background that I also made up myself.

At first I thought about buying a lot of artificial rose petals and just lay then all around and under her, until I saw the cost. So, I ended up just buying one small box of them and had to get creative. I decided to use my green screen muslin for this shot ($55 at http://www.tubetape.net/servlet/the-4/s ... -10/Detail) , and then would use the artificial rose petals and some artificial flowers to make my own background.

The first step was getting a full frame shot from directly overhead. Since my tripod is not tall enough, I had a friend who has a $400 tripod with a gimbal help me. We attached the camera via USB to my laptop and put it in live shot mode, so I could hold the camera way high in the air (12 feet!) using her tripod and gimbal and see the shot on the screen as we were lining it up, then she snapped the photo from the laptop itself. This is the resulting picture from that (I shrunk down the original as it was 3168x4752 in size).
IMG_0009_smaller.JPG
IMG_0009_smaller.JPG (953.92 KiB) Viewed 5931 times

Ok, so first after that, I had to remove the green screen. That was pretty simple, by simply doing a color select and with enough fuzziness to clear out all of the green, then spent a couple hours worth of cleanup to clear out the halo effect that occurred from spillover. Spillover happens when you place your subject directly on the green screen, but it couldn't be helped in this case. Also, because I couldn't stretch the green screen really tight on the floor, there were wrinkles and that makes it a bit harder to clean out the screen in one shot. (unfortunately I didn't save the image of her removed from the green screen)

Next I had to make the background. First I took a Styrofoam block like this one (http://www.buy.com/pr/product.aspx?sku= ... d=33733883 - note, not the exact same one but similar), and stuck the artificial roses into the block to hold them into place in a random pattern, and also covered it with the rose petals. The result looked like this:
rose background before.jpg
rose background before.jpg (572.11 KiB) Viewed 5931 times

Then, after cropping, fixing the perspective, and doing an offset filter and using the clone stamp tool with a medium-large brush and a 100% softness, I had the final background texture, which I turned into a pattern in photoshop:
rose background.jpg
rose background.jpg (732.7 KiB) Viewed 5931 times

Then I simply made a solid black layer behind Andrea and used the pattern overlay style on the background, and reduced the scale so it matched her. After that, I played with the lighting to make the background a little darker, lightened up Andrea, and added her signature.

The final image came out like this:
AR_American Beauty.jpg
AR_American Beauty.jpg (310.47 KiB) Viewed 5931 times
All in all, it took about 5 hours for the entire process, but I think it was worth it.

midiman
Doll Guru
Doll Guru

Re: Green screening and my latest contest photo.

Post by midiman »

Wow. great post. So interesting to see what goes behind all those 'special' shots in the movies. Also amazing how much work yo went to in creating this great photo.

Thanks for sharing.
Midiman...
My Doll photos... here in my Doll Album

Gabrielle BT ---- Libby Ruby13 ---- My Teddy Babes --- Bianca from Lars & the RG --- jessica Wicked RD ------ Aredhel PIB ------ Amaya 4woods - Kira Anatomical

muneca

Post by muneca »

Oh wow, what an incredible visual experience. A lot of work it looks like, but well worth it!!!
My fun little blog: http://shellscottlovesmiami.blogspot.com/

My Photo Album

"When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back. GET MAD! I DON'T WANT YOUR DAMN LEMONS! WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO WITH THESE?! DEMAND TO SEE LIFE'S MANAGER!" Portal 2

Zang
TDF Staff Alumni
TDF Staff Alumni

Post by Zang »

Spiritfire, you didn't just snap a doll photo; you made it a whole quasi-professional production!
Great idea, and a great result.

1jayjay
Doll Patriarch
Doll Patriarch

Post by 1jayjay »

Nice work, thanks for the explanation Spiritfire. :) Hollywood special effects next stop! :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

kharn
Site Owners Group
Site Owners Group

Post by kharn »

Wow what a great photo :D :thumbs_up:
 Click to go to Coverdoll

Szalinski
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by Szalinski »

I used a Green Screen for this composite shot as well.
It also took me a few hours, mostly for clean up. Compositing and the addition of the text was comparatively easy. I made it for the July 2010 Photo competition ("lingerie", I think), IMO one of my better efforts. Didn't do to well in the standings though. :cry:
“If freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.”
~ George Washington

hanuman37
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by hanuman37 »

Szalinski wrote:I used a Green Screen for this composite shot as well.
It also took me a few hours, mostly for clean up. Compositing and the addition of the text was comparatively easy. I made it for the July 2010 Photo competition ("lingerie", I think), IMO one of my better efforts. Didn't do to well in the standings though. :cry:
Suddenly I am enthusiastic about riding... :)

kharn
Site Owners Group
Site Owners Group

Post by kharn »

Well it was a really nice picture and it's great to see it again, well done :D :thumbs_up:
 Click to go to Coverdoll

Szalinski
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by Szalinski »

Not sure if you're referring to mine or not, but if you are, thanks!
“If freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.”
~ George Washington

kharn
Site Owners Group
Site Owners Group

Post by kharn »

Szalinski wrote:Not sure if you're referring to mine or not, but if you are, thanks!
Yes I was my friend. :)
 Click to go to Coverdoll

INFORMATIONS