sexyrealsexdolls.com

Share your tips for taking amazing pictures

No matter how great your camera might be, it is how you apply your skills that makes the difference between an OK shot and a great shot. Here you can talk technical, talk creative, share your techniques, lighting, and digital editing. This is where we can all help each other to take better photos.
If you post a photo here and are looking for a critique, you should be prepared for honest criticism even if it hurts. It will only help to make us better photographers.

Moderator: Swan

FirstOrder

Share your tips for taking amazing pictures

Post by FirstOrder »

I am amazed at the quality of photos that many of the members here at TDF take. I was hoping that some of our talented photographers could share some tips on taking great pictures for the benefit of us less experienced enthusiast .

I am just getting into the hobby and after seeing the level of quality pictures that many of our members post I can see photography becoming a huge part of this pastime .

haremlover
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary

Re: Share your tips for taking amazing pictures

Post by haremlover »

First is keep it simple

Even use mobile phone camera!

Be conscious of the background

Pay attention to pose.

But photography isn't photography without light.

Natural sunlight is great. Buy a cheap reflector. That's all you need.

Best wishes

Harem
Latest reviews coming for Irontech and FJ doll silicone ladies.

Chloé's book
is available from The-Doll-House
- - - -
Here's Coverdoll Yolanda
- - - -
Reviews for:
-DS-OR-JY-SY-Jarliet-Vivid-SM-SE-ZOne-JM-Sino-Sanhui-Pipedream--XY-WM-Elsa Babe-SM Silicone Siliko-XYcolo-Starpery-Elsa Babe-FutureDoll-Zelex-Irontech-FJ Doll
- - - -
YouTube Doll Review Channel
-https://www.youtube.com/@sexdoll-reviews-

jms033
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by jms033 »

After seeing some of my pictures, I was going to ask this very question about photography and cameras.
I just have a cheapo digital camera, that I bought off of Amazon. It is a Bonna, and has 21 mega pixels. I only paid like $35 for it, but it doesn't really take good pictures. I have the settings on 20 mega pixels, because anything lower than that, the pictures come out grainy and blurred. Even at 20 mega pixels, it still isn't very good. I'm thinking about an upgrade in cameras. Maybe something around $100 price range.

winterwarBo
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by winterwarBo »

I have a Sony DSC-WX80 and my iPhone 7+. My Samsung S6 took as good photos as my Sony.

Light can make or break your shots. Overcast fully diffused light I found is ideal. Too much light can be as bad as too little. These are untouched other than for size. All taken with my iPhone in Natural light

I am no photographer, sometimes I just happen to hit the button just right.
IMG_1715.jpg
IMG_1715.jpg (308.8 KiB) Viewed 3220 times
IMG_1720.jpg
IMG_1720.jpg (374.08 KiB) Viewed 3220 times
This one was taken with my Sony
DSC0E0446.jpg
DSC0E0446.jpg (318.22 KiB) Viewed 3220 times
These with the iPhone
IMG_1853.jpg
IMG_1853.jpg (339.97 KiB) Viewed 3220 times
IMG_2002.jpg
IMG_2002.jpg (253.33 KiB) Viewed 3220 times
IMG_2041.jpg
IMG_2041.jpg (214.36 KiB) Viewed 3220 times
IMG_4964.jpg
IMG_4964.jpg (232.86 KiB) Viewed 3220 times
IMG_4967.jpg
IMG_4967.jpg (300.65 KiB) Viewed 3220 times
The Home for Wayward Dollies
Kat ~ WM #36/ASDoll 158C ~ 10-24-16
Janie ~ WM 161G #53 ~ 12-5-16
Quinn ~ Rifrano 158DD #39 ~ 11-2-17
Lisa ~ WM 156B #46 ~ 7-7-18
Sarah-Jo ~ MLD 168DD #39 ~ 6-18-19
Jennifer ~ MLD 165F #2 ~ 11-27-19
Brittany ~ WM155 #46 ~ 3-13-20
Heather ~ WM163C #38 ~ 8-14-20
Melina ~ PIB GND Bitsy Fairy ~ 1-1-21
Aliel~ RD BT2 Winter ~ 2-13-21
Morgana~ YL148 ~ 4-3-21
Virginia~ RD Body C ~ 8-27-21
Caitlyn~ 4woods AI NEO ~ 8-27-21
Jessie~ MLD 163FF #100 ~ 10-8-21

His + Hers Love Doll

Post by His + Hers Love Doll »

Check out my photos in the links in my signature. I just take photos that I enjoy seeing. You can’t please everyone as everyone has a different opinion on what they like to see. Some like more realistic photos, some like professional photography style, some like to see girls covered and conservative and some like to see the more risqué.
I photograph Kimber in ways that I think are sexy to me. If people like it, fantastic. If they don’t, no big deal. But of course I pay attention to background and lighting the most. Keeping your doll the center of focus.
~Our Beautiful Muse, Kimber~ WM 157cm B Cup With 162 Head

ALL PHOTOS TAKEN WITH iPhone 8

Sexy Real Sex Doll Blog #2 “The Muse”
https://sexyrealsexdolls.com/blogs/blog ... er-is-back

Sexy Real Sex Doll Blog On Kimber:
https://sexyrealsexdolls.com/blogs/blog ... rs-delight

Scroll Though Kimbers Forum Post To See Her Very First Photos To Her Most Recent

viewtopic.php?f=379&t=94812

Metricnut
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by Metricnut »

While I agree that you don't have to have thousands of dollars of equipment to take great photos...

I think getting good basic camera that has removable lenses and the ability to go into manual mode and control the exposure triangle is needed to learn the craft or skills of photography. (search "Exposure Triangle" on YouTube). I picked up a Canon Rebel T6i with a $120 50mm f1.8 lens and I have learned a bunch in the last 7 months. If you are on a budget you can search Ebay and look for a Canon Rebel T3i and get started without breaking the bank.

After I got my Canon camera I immediately realized that the built in flash on the camera was a great way to get some truly awful looking pictures of you doll. So I went to Amazon and bought a cheap lighting kit like this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019G ... UTF8&psc=1

Then I watched a lot of YouTube videos on photography. I still have a lot to learn but I am enjoying the hobby tremendously.

Metricnut
Nicole, SM138 D.....Angie, YL 141 D.....Katie, SM 136 A.....Avril, SM 156 A.....Sasha, SM 146 D.....Molly, SM 136 F
" She can't talk, but she has a way of talking me into it..."

FirstOrder

Post by FirstOrder »

Ha , I just ordered the same photography light set off Amazon :)
I will definitely do some searching on YouTube for those search terms :) thanks

Metricnut wrote:While I agree that you don't have to have thousands of dollars of equipment to take great photos...

I think getting good basic camera that has removable lenses and the ability to go into manual mode and control the exposure triangle is needed to learn the craft or skills of photography. (search "Exposure Triangle" on YouTube). I picked up a Canon Rebel T6i with a $120 50mm f1.8 lens and I have learned a bunch in the last 7 months. If you are on a budget you can search Ebay and look for a Canon Rebel T3i and get started without breaking the bank.

After I got my Canon camera I immediately realized that the built in flash on the camera was a great way to get some truly awful looking pictures of you doll. So I went to Amazon and bought a cheap lighting kit like this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019G ... UTF8&psc=1

Then I watched a lot of YouTube videos on photography. I still have a lot to learn but I am enjoying the hobby tremendously.

Metricnut

rgp3

Post by rgp3 »

...make sure to choose one helluva subject...
Attachments
Gwen Front Crop.jpg
Gwen Front Crop.jpg (878.87 KiB) Viewed 3190 times
2021 - Jess 100cm Piper Doll
2018 - Gwen 150cm Z-Onedoll (retired)

jms033
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by jms033 »

Metricnut wrote:While I agree that you don't have to have thousands of dollars of equipment to take great photos...

Metricnut

Some very good tips! :glou: I bought one of these for lighting. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01L7 ... UTF8&psc=1

I seen some youtube videos on this type of lighting too, and should help, along with a better quality camera than the one I have now. Although, I may been more than just one of these, but I can build as I go. :thumbs_up:

Cubiko
Doll Patriarch
Doll Patriarch

Post by Cubiko »

Wow, Metricnut and FirstOrder - that is a seriously good value setup, can’t believe that offer all that for only 140 dollars!

I saw your PM, FirstOrder, and I can’t really add much except take your time and don’t expect magazine quality photos the first time you try to use a DSLR and an off-camera lighting setup. Remember people study photography for years and then train as assistants for years too to become photographers, so it does require some time and training to get it right. But Youtube and reading tutorials are my best tip, it will teach you all the technical stuff.

When it comes to doll photography you need to know your doll first, and how to pose her. Arms, legs, fingers and eyes in unnatural and random directions doesn’t look great no matter how good a camera and lighting setup you have.

GooseLooney
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by GooseLooney »

Hello, FirstOrder. What you see with your own eyes is completely different than what the camera lens can see. I take my time focusing on what the camera can see. Don't just look at the subject, but what is all around. Ask yourself if there is anything that might draw attention away from the subject. Before you snap the photo, position yourself, not just the subject, in many different angles. Pay attention to the details. After the photo is taken, I use a good quality photoshop app to a very minimal extent just to clean up the pic a little. Reducing noise makes the photo look smoother and less grainy. Also increasing the exposure a tiny bit, just to lighten up the pic makes the shot a bit brighter. Mess around with the app till you find what works best for the lighting you have available.
My sleeping beauties, Annie and Judith
Annie came home on April 12, 2018. Her blog: viewtopic.php?f=215&t=102005
Judith came home on Nov 27, 2019. Her blog: viewtopic.php?f=215&t=123357
It is incredible how much they do without doing anything.
My beautiful Annie now has her very own account on TDF! :) viewtopic.php?t=146179

YojimBeau

Post by YojimBeau »

My contribution, if I'm taking a frontal picture (and not a profile), I find the focal point of her eyes and make sure that the camera is right in the sweet spot. Adjusting her eyes wider gives more distance, whereas positioning them closer is for great close-up shots. Personally, I find my best shots are the ones where she's "looking" directly into the camera.

Edit: Oh, and yeah, I just bought one of those nice lighting sets last night. Also bought a frame and backdrop. I have a spare bedroom with no furniture in it, so I'll be making a nice little studio back there.

FirstOrder

Post by FirstOrder »

Think mine comes with the green backdrop. So I am planning to edit the background with filters / layers , assuming that will work fine.

YojimBeau wrote:My contribution, if I'm taking a frontal picture (and not a profile), I find the focal point of her eyes and make sure that the camera is right in the sweet spot. Adjusting her eyes wider gives more distance, whereas positioning them closer is for great close-up shots. Personally, I find my best shots are the ones where she's "looking" directly into the camera.

Edit: Oh, and yeah, I just bought one of those nice lighting sets last night. Also bought a frame and backdrop. I have a spare bedroom with no furniture in it, so I'll be making a nice little studio back there.

haremlover
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary

Post by haremlover »

You don't need 20Mpixels

I take mine ordinarily on 3Mp and often 2.

The Fuji S9600 is dated but a bargain camera. You can pick up Nikons such as the D70 cheap as well and save money for the lens.

Around 85mm f1.8 is really great but sometimes my Fuji takes better photos because of greater ease of operation.

Graininess indicates too little light and or a faster "film" sensitivity.

Best wishes

Harem
Latest reviews coming for Irontech and FJ doll silicone ladies.

Chloé's book
is available from The-Doll-House
- - - -
Here's Coverdoll Yolanda
- - - -
Reviews for:
-DS-OR-JY-SY-Jarliet-Vivid-SM-SE-ZOne-JM-Sino-Sanhui-Pipedream--XY-WM-Elsa Babe-SM Silicone Siliko-XYcolo-Starpery-Elsa Babe-FutureDoll-Zelex-Irontech-FJ Doll
- - - -
YouTube Doll Review Channel
-https://www.youtube.com/@sexdoll-reviews-

ranger42
CoverDoll Staff
CoverDoll Staff

Post by ranger42 »

There are lots of great tips in this thread, but one more thing to remember is that you are photographing a doll and not a person. Unless you are doing a wind-in-the-hair shot, she shouldn't be moving at all. This means you can put the camera on a tripod and use a much slower exposure than you would for a human, which keeps the ISO setting and therefore the grain low.
My Girls - WM140D #36 #188, WM163C #74 #188 #173: viewtopic.php?f=87&t=102752
Leah in Coverdoll, Isabelle

INFORMATIONS