betterlovedoll.com

Make up problems

For Doll related Photography, Graphics, and Web Design.

Moderator: Swan

kenwalters
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Make up problems

Post by kenwalters »

I tried ordinary lipstick, Mat4 by Maybelline, and it clumped. When it got on the dolls silicone skin it smeared and took ages to wash it off. M y photos are ok, but would be lifted a lot with decent make up.

Anybody with advice on best make up to use, as well as removing it from the skin please?

Didn't see any sticky on this subject.

Mondoon
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Make up problems

Post by Mondoon »

Hi kenwalters

I have been using makeup on Hanna for 4 years now but before I started I asked the manufacturer what to use.
They advised only using powder type makeup. Progressing from ordinary blocks of powder makeup I tried mineral powder makeup.
That stuff is superb, very easy to apply from the jar with the use of some proper makeup brushes. You will need some decent brushes too. I've got one with a 45 degree cut tip and one flat ended one plus larger brush for blusher or dusting.
The mineral powder is the best but it's a little more expensive than the block type powder.
To remove it I use a pack of makeup removal wipes, like wet wipes, they remove it quickly and easily and are also good for creating sharp edges.
I have used lipstick but I only ever leave it on for the duration of a photo shoot and then remove it. Same with the blusher on her eyes for the Kimono shots which was also liquid type but powder is fine to leave.

"Everybody's Got Something To Hide Except Me And My Monkey" - John Lennon

Super Softy Monkey Team Doll Force Go !!

Hanna's Thread
Hanna's Album
Hanna's CoverDoll Shoot

Maviarab
Doll Patriarch
Doll Patriarch

Post by Maviarab »

A lip pencil is far better to use (and easier). Some lipsticks are ok, but not all.

On silicone use makeup wipes :)

kenwalters
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by kenwalters »

Thanks for the advice, I didn't even know about the mineral type make up. will check that out.

Arthur1960
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary

Post by Arthur1960 »

For lips you could consider using coloured lip gloss. The colours are not as strong but it's really easy to apply with its own applicator and doesn't clump like lipstick does. I use the NYC brand on my gals and although they are tpe I'm not aware of any issue using lip gloss with silicone. If you want those striking colours though you can use lipstick but apply it using a small makeup brush then gently touch a piece of tissue on the lips (like you sometimes see a RG do) then when it's dry give a coating of clear lip gloss, that will give a lovely striking shiny look!

kenwalters
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by kenwalters »

Thanks Arthur, looks like a real learning curve ahead. Shame we don't have a workshop or stickie on this subject.

Mondoon
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Mondoon »

kenwalters wrote:Thanks Arthur, looks like a real learning curve ahead. Shame we don't have a workshop or stickie on this subject.
A lot is down to practice. It's unlikely that you will be successful on your first try but it does get a lot easier with practice and the right tools.
If you are using those wipes though you can mess it up a few times and just wipe it away easily.

Have fun. :D
"Everybody's Got Something To Hide Except Me And My Monkey" - John Lennon

Super Softy Monkey Team Doll Force Go !!

Hanna's Thread
Hanna's Album
Hanna's CoverDoll Shoot

kenwalters
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by kenwalters »

Thanks Mondoon, I'm happy with my doll and lighting set up, now for the technical stuff called make up :)

Drain Bammage

Post by Drain Bammage »

This is something I've been wondering about.
Very useful thread.

kenwalters
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by kenwalters »

Thanks Drain, I imagine there will be more interested too. It's not a subject that had any interest for me in the past really, but now I need to know there's a lot of catching up to do.

Maviarab
Doll Patriarch
Doll Patriarch

Post by Maviarab »

it is a learning curve for sure. Thankfully I did some beauty back in college (wanted to do film fx) and was often asked by ex-wife to do her makeup hehe. Practice makes perfect.

kenwalters
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by kenwalters »

That was lucky Maviarab, useful skill to have. We used to have beauty courses at our local college, the college is now gone and so are the courses.

INFORMATIONS