sexyrealsexdolls.com

Wigs and where to find them

Wigs, replacement eyebrows and eyelashes, and other hair related items.
Dewman79
Apprentice
Apprentice

Wigs and where to find them

Post by Dewman79 »

Hello all was browsing around for wigs and was just curious to see if anyone has ever gotten any from ebay ect or would know of reputable wig vendors i find all the affordable ones seem to come from china on ebay anyway. You know just ones that resemble the pics and dont fall apart ina week.
Also had some general questions like are some softer then others or stylable and is Japanese Kanekalon good or bad ect.

Poppaeus
Active Poster
Active Poster
Location: A tiny speck of dust amidst the black seas of infinity

Re: Wigs and where to find them

Post by Poppaeus »

Hello Dewman,

There is a section dedicated to wigs on TDF here, and this thread in that section lists a few reputable places where you can pick up good wigs. Not sure if you had already found this or not, just thought I'd mention it for reference and your convenience. :)

Edit: just saw you had already posted in that very thread, so my apologies for the redundancy. :)

Personally, I have no experience with Ebay regarding wigs. I did find a few great wig sellers on Amazon, but people have reported that their experience there is a bit hit-and-miss. Sometimes the wigs you order turn out exactly the way you want them or even better. Other times you're flabbergasted because the wig you receive doesn't look *at all* like the one you ordered or is of poor quality, and hence a waste of money. Pictures don't always tell you very much either. I imagine Ebay is no different in this aspect. You can find good vendors here and there on Amazon and presumable on Ebay as well, but the absolute safest option is probably to stick to stores and manufacturers dedicated to wigs.

As a general rule of thumb, the *really* cheap wigs (below $10 or $15) on Amazon are generally not of the best quality. I have had good luck with two wigs from Forever Young that were in the $20 to $30 range, but can't say if that is representative for that pricing range.

Wigs are either made of real or synthetic hair. Some are softer than others. Usually, wigs will come in a pre-defined style: for example long and curly blonde as opposed to short straight brunette bob. You can definately style wigs, but the extent to which you can do so depends on the material it is made of. You will need to make sure you have wire brushes and combs that are specifically meant for wigs - most regular brushes and combs are not meant for wigs, especially synthetic ones, and may damage them.

With wigs made of real hair you can use a curling iron on lower settings. With synthetic hair it is strongly recommended to avoid curling irons (the wigs will melt or burn). On synthetic wigs you can use wig spray, I assume the same applies to wigs made of real hair. You can use sponge rollers or pins to add style. You can tie a wig together into a (loose) ponytail with a ribbon. Always use special hair ribbons dedicated to that purpose for that, never use common elastics or rubber bands because these might damage your wig. You can also dye a wig made of real hair (not synthetic), but bear in mind that this is permanent.

Personally, I limit myself to brushes, combs, and ribbons to add style. If I ever want a drastic change in styling or colour, I will just purchase another wig so I don't risk ruining a perfectly good one. Besides, more choice is always better. :)

I'm afraid I have no experience with Japanese Kanekalon.

Hopefully, other members will be able to add to this or correct any mistakes I might have made, and help you out further. :)

Good luck and happy hunting!
Knowledge is finite, imagination is infinite. Dream on, until the edge of infinity.

Kagami
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by Kagami »

I have a bunch of wigs for my dolls and for myself. I get so much stuff off Ebay not just wigs, you can get the most random stuffs off Ebay that is where I bought my School-Bus and I've never had a issue. all the wigs I have are that Japanese stuff though I get everything from China??? just look at who your buying it from if its for cheap Halloween costumes its going to be cheap and shitty wig, if its from a cosplay seller they will be nice wigs. there is a ton of sellers that all they sell is wigs for cosplay.

Orbital111
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by Orbital111 »

Welcome Dewman,
Wildcat-wigs is a pretty good vendor on ebay. I've bought from them a couple of times and they are pretty quick. They have a pretty wide range of styles and sizes (including miniatures).

Go for a wig that is at least $40 if you want one that will last. Forever Young, Sepia, Risque are a few brands you might look into that are usually pretty soft. They'll rarely be as thick looking as the advertisement photo though. :| The softest/thickest wigs are usually a blend of human and synthetic hair. Good luck, there's a ton of places to get wigs online.

If you want one that can be styled (i.e. that you can change the parting), you might look into monofilament wigs. They usually run $80+ though.

timetraveler1
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary

Post by timetraveler1 »

we have found nice wigs on e bay and from twc (the wig company ) they sometimes have clearance sales to but some have no returns so be sure the first time . i have gotten some on clearance for my doll projects . a platinum color wig no less !
hope this and what others suggest helps you !
it's good to share finds when we all can !

here is the link :
http://thewigcompany.com/wigs/c/66001/

NormBates
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by NormBates »

This may sound odd — but if you're on a budget it's a dream! Have you tried flea markets? I have found many high-quality human hair wigs at flea-markets for extremely cheap ($10). Also, try wig shops.

Puppenbesitzer86
Basic Poster
Basic Poster

Post by Puppenbesitzer86 »

if some still search for wigs, i recommend dont buy on ebay..
i bought for testing some cheap wigs, like 10$, and they were like plastic and got really fast very bad, you cant even brush them because the hair stick together. Oo

So i just used the original wigs from the dolls which are everytime high quality.

TripleA
Doll
Doll

Post by TripleA »

Cheap wigs are like anything else that is "Cheap" it will not last! Sometimes a cheap wig is good however, the wig that is sleep in is a cheap wig it doesn't look very good and it doesn't feel like real hair at all, but it keeps my head warm at night!

If you want a really great wig that will look great, fit right and last go here: LNY & Wig Boutique 770.667.9231 Speak with Lawrence and tell him that April Atleur sent you! He will take good care of you!

Or check with a local wig salon in your area: the local guys have more to loose if you are not satisfied as you can go to their business and gripe to their face and show their other customers what you are complaining about! Besides most will welcome the fact that you can bring your synthetic partner to them and they can take the measurements themselves and get it right!
April Annabelle Atleur - AKA - TripleA

My Gallery Link: http://missatleur.com/coppermine/index.php?cat=10003

cherrysoda
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by cherrysoda »

I would recommend eBay, or local classifieds. On eBay, I only go for pre-owned, human hair wigs, for myself and for my doll. If you have any hygiene concerns about a pre-owned wig, all you have to do is as soon as you get it put it in a couple layered ziplock bags and then leave it in the freezer for a week, which will kill off anything from the previous owner. That being said, all of the wigs I have bought off of eBay have been in pristine condition.

Human hair is the best way to go, imho, but a good longer wig can cost you from $500 all the way well up into the thousands of dollars.

If you were looking to purchase new, I use wigs.com. I've only every bought synthetic from them, but their prices are good, and they have fast shipping. Their "Ever Young" line is very reasonably priced, and very natural looking, the best quality in the under $100 range that I have found. I have one blonde one that is just below shoulder length and I paid around $55 for it.

The best thing you can do with a synthetic wig, if it looks too "fake" or is of lower quality is soak it in fabric softener for a few days-week, rise it very well in cold water while combing it with your fingers, then let it air dry. The softener gets rid of the plastic shiny look as well as makes the wig softer, less frizzy and smell pretty as well.

jibjibjub

Post by jibjibjub »

I got 3 wigs from https://www.hairsisters.com/ and I was pleased with them and the price. The colors were darker than I expected but I think they still work fine.
WM 163 with #74 Head - Sierra Summers
above body with YL "Viola" Head - November Summers
...ordered from the fine folks at Booty Call Dolls

ami263

Post by ami263 »

I have bought two lace wigs from http://www.Hairplusbase.com, works well up to now. Hope this can help you.

TJ_Foxx
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by TJ_Foxx »

TripleA wrote:Cheap wigs are like anything else that is "Cheap" it will not last! Sometimes a cheap wig is good however, the wig that is sleep in is a cheap wig it doesn't look very good and it doesn't feel like real hair at all, but it keeps my head warm at night!
Truth, you get what you pay for. There is a differenc ebetween cheap and inexpensive. There are excellent inexpensive wigs that look great and will hold up. If a wig/price seems to good to be ture, it probably is. While "cheap" wigs will not hold up they can be very photogenic.
TripleA wrote:If you want a really great wig that will look great, fit right and last go here: LNY & Wig Boutique 770.667.9231 Speak with Lawrence and tell him that April Atleur sent you! He will take good care of you!

Or check with a local wig salon in your area: the local guys have more to loose if you are not satisfied as you can go to their business and gripe to their face and show their other customers what you are complaining about! Besides most will welcome the fact that you can bring your synthetic partner to them and they can take the measurements themselves and get it right!
VERY good advice... Anymor I mainly get wigs for my girls at 2 different wig salons. They will have a selection from $30-$300 and up. I prefer to see and touch them in person before paying. The one wig I ordered online was fantastic and under $40 but a friend who has dolls had one, so I got to see it up close and personal first.
TJ_Foxx
Tasha Petite 3 Sky
Talia Petite 3 Dark Sky

Mick
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by Mick »

Wigs.com is a place I check from time to time.

JOSH256
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by JOSH256 »

once i bought hair wigs from ebay store named Wildcat-wigs .i am really satisfied about those bought wigs. they are really feel soft and smooth. the price is little bit high but you will be surely satisfied about what you will receive!

Azuwish
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Azuwish »

I've had mixed results with all types of wigs, I've gotten two that claimed to be 100% Japanese Kanekalon - one ended up being a tangled rats nest (just like the wig that came with the doll) and the other is beautiful and has been largely indestructible (probably the best of the 10-12 wigs I've purchased so far). For now I'm just buying a wig every so often in the 20-40 range and the ones that don't hold up I'm using as bedtime wigs (and for certain 'play' situations of course...)

INFORMATIONS