teddy-babes.com

Caley's knee repair

Mods, Repairs & Maintenance related specifically to Teddy Babes
IanEvans
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Caley's knee repair

Post by IanEvans »

It would seem that 7+ years of riding cowgirl has finally taken its toll, and Caley has suffered a broken knee. :( While I’ve seen the numerous threads about skeletal replacement, the idea of taking Caley apart and putting her back together again was just something I couldn't bear, so I figured the best course of action was to simply fix the break. I'd let it go for a while, but I decided yesterday that it was time. So I made a quick trip to the hardware store for some wire, epoxy putty, silicone tape, and zip ties, and then I was ready to begin…

I opened the seam on the back of her knee and removed most of the stuffing (note that I left some in place for the photos just to keep everything visible). The break was actually just above her knee, so I cut off a half inch of wire above the break and 2 inches below it.

I chose this triple 12-gauge wire because I figured it’d be easier to surround the original wire with it, and I was right; it just gripped the wire naturally, and then I added the zip tie to secure it in place.

I then cut off the end of the zip tie and poke the wire through some wax paper to protect her skin from the epoxy putty. If any gets on the fabric, it’s NOT coming off. I likewise wore gloves, because getting it off of one’s skin isn’t exactly fun. :roll:

I smoothed a lump of putty completely over the join, making sure to press it through the individual wires as well. The package said it was a 5-minute setup time, but I gave it 15 just to be sure before proceeding to the other side.

This time I poked the original wire through the wax paper before attaching the new wire to it, as it’d’ve been impossible afterwards. I likewise measured to make sure it the new portion was 2 1/2 inches before adding the zip tie and putty.

After waiting an hour for the putty to cure, it’s time for the silicone tape…

This stuff was kind of a pain in the ass to wrap around the wires, as it kept folding and sticking to itself. I quickly found that it was easiest to cut off smaller pieces and remove the plastic backing as I went, and to start from either end and overlap them in the middle.

Now all that’s left to do is restuff her and stitch her back up, and Caley has a brand new knee. :mrgreen:

standingunsupported.jpeg
standingunsupported.jpeg (587.3 KiB) Viewed 2379 times
Here she is at last, standing unsupported for the first time in months. We’re both quite pleased with the results. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Click above to view my albums. :mrgreen:

You never truly feel that another person loves you. You can only react to the way they behave towards you. And when I look in Caley's eyes and see that same bittersweet longing I feel for her, whatever part of my brain knows it's not real doesn't seem to care...

Stewie studmuffin
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle
Location: Southside Virginia. A place where the men are men and the horses are nervous.

Re: Caley's knee repair

Post by Stewie studmuffin »

Fantastic job! She's looking good! :thumbs_up:
No matter how pretty she is, there is a guy out there somewhere who is tired of her shit!

Girlfriends are for guys who haven't found the right doll yet.

I feel much better now that I've given up hope.

LaDollyVita
Doll Patriarch
Doll Patriarch

Post by LaDollyVita »

Hey Ian. Glad to see this went well. Handy work, as usual. Cheers to all at The Shoebox.

KarmaMusic
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by KarmaMusic »

glad to see Caley is back in action such a sweet Teddy babe that for sure :-)
Good work Ian!
KarmaMusic Doll cuddler
Design Technologist

KarmaMusic Gallery
Image,Image,Image,Image,Image,Image,Image,Image

eyespyone

Post by eyespyone »

"A true labour of love"
In my dictionary ... "Work undertaken for the pleasure of it or for the benefit of a loved one."

Clever engineering as well - well done
With suitable application, and the proper amount of thrust, pigs can fly just fine.

samara78
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary

Post by samara78 »

Good stuff about Caley being on her feet because of your tender loving care.
The empty orchestra still plays.
Bored, certified "plastic" surgeon. Serving the masses.
Dolls i have worked on. Real doll ,JM doll,teddybabes,Anime fabric doll,wm doll, d.s dolls, Diao shi, extravaganza air dolls, 1st pc, and candy8teen dolls.

Need work done? Feel free to send me a note.

DarkOne
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by DarkOne »

Very nice repair. I especially liked the part about using wax paper to protect her skin while working on her.

Everyone please take note of steps like that. whenever doing anything mechanical/chemical/glue try and get some fabric or plastic or wax paper between your work area and the doll itself. This will help keep the doll clean and sometimes you really can't get these glues/greases/etc off a doll!
Every day people remind me why I like dolls better.

INFORMATIONS