betterlovedoll.com

Humans

Articles about Dolls and Owners in digital and printed media.
Also includes radio.
agun72
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Humans

Post by agun72 »

Watched the first episode of Humans earlier today and I usually don't give much for remakes but this was actually good.

For those who haven't seen it I can recommend doing so :-)

katiesBoyfriend
Doll Elder
Doll Elder
Location: Western spiral arm of the Milky Way galaxy, out near the outskirts of the Laniakea supercluster

Post by katiesBoyfriend »

I finished watching the first episode on AMC a short time ago. I can't say I'm impressed with it as it didn't have anything that hadn't already been seen in other movies or TV shows such as Blade Runner, Westworld, or Runaway. I did like the female domestic robot (Anita?), however, but if she's all the series has to offer me, I won't be watching it for much longer.
"A man has to be what he is, Joey. Can't break the mould. I tried it and it didn't work for me." Alan Ladd, Shane
"The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity." Harlan Ellison
"Dad says that anyone who can't use a slide rule is a cultural illiterate and should not be allowed to vote. Mine is a beauty--a K&E 20-inch Log-log Duplex Decitrig." Robert Heinlein

kharn
Site Owners Group
Site Owners Group

Post by kharn »

You need to give it a chance, the plot thickens.

Yes the consent is the same, however one could say that they are all the same as the original movie Metropolis. This covers the physiology of the machine more than anything in relation to humans themselves. In other words, what we create comes with our own flaws, even down to murder.

I'll say no more, other than watch the brothel scene in episode two.
 Click to go to Coverdoll

freeman01

Post by freeman01 »

I watched Ep 1 last night (DVR'ed) and really liked it. There seems to be a lot more attention being paid in our society to A.I. and human cyborgs as a whole and the overall acceptance of the notion. Other than them being able to speak and react to you, they're essentially...not human. With that in mind, I don't see much in the way different to the dolls everyone has here. I guess thats another discussion left for another thread.

Anyway...SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS...

Did anyone notice the father/husband opening a package that was delivered to him with some "extras?" Were they extra programs he could upload to "Anita" to allow her to perform more "adult oriented tasks?" In other words...sex! He took one look at that and slide it in his back pocket out of sight.
Live your life as you dream it and not necessarily as it was handed to you.

campion
Ex-Member

Post by campion »

freeman01 wrote:I watched Ep 1 last night (DVR'ed) and really liked it. There seems to be a lot more attention being paid in our society to A.I. and human cyborgs as a whole and the overall acceptance of the notion. Other than them being able to speak and react to you, they're essentially...not human. With that in mind, I don't see much in the way different to the dolls everyone has here. I guess thats another discussion left for another thread.

Anyway...SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS...

Did anyone notice the father/husband opening a package that was delivered to him with some "extras?" Were they extra programs he could upload to "Anita" to allow her to perform more "adult oriented tasks?" In other words...sex! He took one look at that and slide it in his back pocket out of sight.
Yes, definitely. It's labelled '18+', and the salesman gave him a knowing wink when he gave him the upgrade options packet, so the gynoids on the show are clearly sex-capable. I think that dad is just waiting for his wife to take another business trip before he installs the sex software. His wife definitely doesn't seem like the kind that would be open to a threesome! She's practically dying to throw that thing out of the house.
"The customers are torn between needing someone and wanting to be alone at the same time, which has probably always been the name of that particular game."—William Gibson, 'Burning Chrome'

kharn
Site Owners Group
Site Owners Group

Post by kharn »

You'll see brothel in the second episode, so yes the androids are sexually capable. Episode three has some interesting twists in it.

As you guys were saying, with all the new films and TV shows being made about this, we can safely say that there's a lot of interest :).
 Click to go to Coverdoll

blobwalker
Basic Poster
Basic Poster

Post by blobwalker »

kharn wrote: I'll say no more, other than watch the brothel scene in episode two.
Let me guess... merging William Gibson's idea of Meat Puppets with all the other blatant lifts that make up the rest of the series' universe?

There are very few writers who manage to create anything truly new. Not everyone can be a Clarke, Dick, or Asimov. But there is imaginative extension and synthesis of the ideas of others and then there's regurgitation of engaging works as this sort of lifeless retread.

campion
Ex-Member

Post by campion »

kharn wrote:You'll see brothel in the second episode, so yes the androids are sexually capable. Episode three has some interesting twists in it.

As you guys were saying, with all the new films and TV shows being made about this, we can safely say that there's a lot of interest :).
Yes, it feels like a portentous moment for androids/gynoids.

This is a very lonely society, modern mass culture, and the appeal of having machines solve the problems of loneliness and sexual frustration is easy to understand.

It would be preferable if we had healthy communities where people were not so isolated and atomized, but if this is the way the world is going to remain then the more love dolls and gynoids the better.
"The customers are torn between needing someone and wanting to be alone at the same time, which has probably always been the name of that particular game."—William Gibson, 'Burning Chrome'

campion
Ex-Member

Post by campion »

blobwalker wrote:
kharn wrote: I'll say no more, other than watch the brothel scene in episode two.
Let me guess... merging William Gibson's idea of Meat Puppets with all the other blatant lifts that make up the rest of the series' universe?

There are very few writers who manage to create anything truly new. Not everyone can be a Clarke, Dick, or Asimov. But there is imaginative extension and synthesis of the ideas of others and then there's regurgitation of engaging works as this sort of lifeless retread.
Meat puppets were real women neurologically "chipped" so they were basically unconscious while working as prostitutes. In "Humans" we see a gynoid working as a prostitute who is experiencing the stirrings of human emotions who refuses to blank out the experience. Pretty different, actually. In fact, the cyberpunks largely disdained robots entirely as a hoary old SciFi trope, although prosthetics were cannon.

Asimov and Clarke and those kinds of figures also had the advantage of working 50 or more years ago when the idea of robots was excitingly new. Not trying by to sell you on "Humans", I'm not sold myself, but no one is forcing you to watch if you're bored by it!

Truth is, there just isn't much good episodic SciFi on TV since Battlestar Galactica and Firefly came and went.

blobwalker
Basic Poster
Basic Poster

Post by blobwalker »

campion wrote: Meat puppets were real women neurologically "chipped" so they were basically unconscious while working as prostitutes. In "Humans" we see a gynoid working as a prostitute who is experiencing the stirrings of human emotions who refuses to blank out the experience. Pretty different, actually. In fact, the cyberpunks largely disdained robots entirely as a hoary old SciFi trope, although prosthetics were cannon.
I remember. I'm just guessing that they're going to mix elements of the meat puppet sub-plot from Neuromancer in with the gynoid ideas they've recycled from elsewhere. I haven't seen that episode yet so perhaps it'll be something more original.
campion wrote: Truth is, there just isn't much good episodic SciFi on TV since Battlestar Galactica and Firefly came and went.
Amen to that.

INFORMATIONS