Starpery.com

Attaching foam legs onto a silicone doll? Thoughts

Got an idea? Need an invention?
rubherkitty
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle
Location: Interstate 44 with 10 long-haired Friends a' Jesus In a chartreuse micra-bus

Attaching foam legs onto a silicone doll? Thoughts

Post by rubherkitty »

So some of you know I adopted a real fixer upper from another member of TDF. This doll is a Beautiful Doll "Claire". She has a nice little body for a 51" doll. The boobs could be a little smaller and more spread apart, but that's just me. The doll comes in a floppy version and a simple skeleton version. I do not recommend the simple skeleton version. The skeleton is simply unconnected thin wall PVC tubing and solid pieces that will most likely eventually poke through the silicone. This doll was severely damaged in shipment to the original owner due to the PVC break through's.

The calf and thigh sections of the legs use PVC tubing. The forearm uses a solid bar of plastic. Not sure about the bicep as there are no poke through's, but I assume it is solid plastic bar.

I will tackle the leg issue first.
I have kicked around the idea of trying to put the original legs back on. This would involve making a knee joint between the thigh and calf bones then trying to glue the silicone back together. Both legs have been completely ripped off at the knees.
The bottom of the calf bones end about 1" up from the sole of the heel area and one foot has already had a poke through at the ankle. There is no armature coming off the bone to control or support the foot. I would probably have to run some type of rod through the sole of the foot into the bone to give the foot a little support.

Even after all this repair, I would still have to keep her legs covered tightly to avoid possible new tearing plus this will help hide the damage. I like stocking and boots anyway. The clothing weight plus the weight of the actual silicone calf and foot will also want to pull down from gravity as I carry the doll. The thigh bone is not connected at all to any type of hip bone and can pull right out of the thigh. The silicone and repaired area must support itself. The skeleton is only there for form control, but adds no strength. So, this leads me to making some type of garter belt or waist belt like chaps that I could connect to her leg coverings. This way I could have exterior support for the calf and knee area tied to her waist and hips that seem to be well made.

So now I'm thinking if this is all going to be covered from mid thigh down, why even mess with trying to re-attach the silicone calf and dealing w/ all the extra weight? How about just making a new leg skeleton and covering it w/ foam?
Attachments
PVC tube pulled out some.
PVC tube pulled out some.
Kristy leg damage 001.JPG (252.84 KiB) Viewed 2048 times
PVC tube back in place
PVC tube back in place
Kristy leg damage 002.JPG (255.24 KiB) Viewed 2048 times
Wrist poke through. The other hand has completely severed.
Wrist poke through. The other hand has completely severed.
Kristy leg damage 003.JPG (310.1 KiB) Viewed 2048 times
boot chaps.jpg
boot chaps.jpg (26.52 KiB) Viewed 2048 times
I would probably make this type of garter belt as it hugs the body for better weight distribution.
I would probably make this type of garter belt as it hugs the body for better weight distribution.
garter belt.jpg (111.22 KiB) Viewed 2048 times
Going downtown. Gonna see my gal. Gonna sing her a song. I'm gonna show her my ding dong! C&C

Jimjam

Re: Attaching foam legs onto a silicone doll? Thoughts

Post by Jimjam »

Wow, she is a mess! I think you should maybe trim those leg stumps off so they're nice and level. You could maybe make some new lower legs out of some pipe lagging:
$_57.JPG
$_57.JPG (353.11 KiB) Viewed 1988 times
It's a nice round, firm foam material that come in different diameters and inner thicknesses. Also, it's very light weight. I'm sure there will be a size to match the dolls legs.
You could make a knee joint out of eye bolts and nylon washers, like this:
Joint 1.jpg
Joint 1.jpg (1.45 MiB) Viewed 1988 times
New skeleton sections could be make out of plastic pipe, ect.

Then you could hold the whole lot together with those leather leggings in your picture.

If all else fails, you could splash a little fake blood over her stumps and use her as a halloween prop....poor thing!

rubherkitty
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle
Location: Interstate 44 with 10 long-haired Friends a' Jesus In a chartreuse micra-bus

Post by rubherkitty »

Thanks for the input.
Going downtown. Gonna see my gal. Gonna sing her a song. I'm gonna show her my ding dong! C&C

MannequinFan
Vendor Affiliated
Vendor Affiliated

Post by MannequinFan »

Wow, me like that photo!
Wish I could help more RK but I just don't have any experience working with silicone.
I think your assumptions so far are correct about it being hard to put her back together as original though.
Having a silicone torso with foam limbs may be the best option - sort of like a Cassi?

rubherkitty
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by rubherkitty »

Thanks MF

Yes, I was thinking about using pool noodles or foam insulation for pipe for the legs and calves. It may be possible to drill and or puncture holes, etc in the end of the foam them work silicone into and onto the face of the foam making a mechanical attachment. I may then be able to glue the silicone legs stump onto the face of the foam to make it more secure. I have some rolls of thin packing foam that I could use on the legs and calves to give them some contour. Cutting strips and patches to build up where needed and taped down. This would be covered by 1 or 2 pair of black stockings before I even made the leather coverings. The PVC pipe at the ankles will glue into permanent boots so I don't have to mess w/ all that repair either.

rubherkitty
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by rubherkitty »

Have done some further testing of the silicone used for this Claire doll. A sample piece will elongate about twice it's size, but any further it will easily break in half.
My sample piece of Smooth-on Ecoflex 10 which is even thinner than the Claire piece will elongate 4-5 X without breaking. I probably pulled it w/ 20 lbs of force and it never broke!

Jimjam

Post by Jimjam »

rubherkitty wrote:Have done some further testing of the silicone used for this Claire doll. A sample piece will elongate about twice it's size, but any further it will easily break in half.
My sample piece of Smooth-on Ecoflex 10 which is even thinner than the Claire piece will elongate 4-5 X without breaking. I probably pulled it w/ 20 lbs of force and it never broke!
That's probably why the legs tore off in the first place. Shoddy silicone. Ecoflex is good stuff alright, do you have her lower legs? Maybe you could make some plaster moulds and recast them in Ecoflex.

That's worth noting about Ecoflex, if you made your own doll and cast it in this stuff, it would surely be a robust doll.

rubherkitty
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by rubherkitty »

Thanks for the ideas.

I do have the lower legs still.
Sounds like a bigger job than I want to tackle though. I'm already in trouble w/ my business spending too much time on dolls. Looking for the fastest fix. I'll have to do the arms the same way too. Her whole crotch has ripped out too since she wasn't made to spread her legs. I'll probably cut all that out while her legs are spread and adapt some type of insert.

If I'm going to get into molding, I'll just make a complete doll to my liking and set up a cottage industry biz.

beardygoat
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by beardygoat »

coyote9 is a member here who makes fabric dolls,fantasy style. he used to make some legs for dolls with none. perhaps some custom legs for you that look like fetish rubber boots.?
check him out.
BG

Jimjam

Post by Jimjam »

Another idea might be to make some plaster moulds of the original legs and cast them in two part pouring foam. That would give you the correct leg shape in a lighter, cheaper material.

Quicker and less fussy than working with silicone, but you would of course still have to make the moulds.

INFORMATIONS