betterlovedoll.com

The VICE article about TDF members

Articles about Dolls and Owners in digital and printed media.
Also includes radio.
LaDollyVita
Doll Patriarch
Doll Patriarch

Re: The VICE article about TDF members

Post by LaDollyVita »

Mr-Smith wrote:The fact that we still refer to them as "Sex Dolls" even here in TDF I find archaic and a bit barbaric even. Many people yet to realize that while yes, these "Adult Dolls" started in the sex industry, that they have moved well beyond those humble beginnings and so have their owners.
I've thought about this quite a bit over the past year. I think TDF in its current incarnation is more or less needed, even if it seems distasteful from time to time to folks that see their dolls as more than sex toys. Sooner or later someone will be motivated to start a separate site or forum that removes nudity from the equation. Not to compete with TDF, but to add to the breadth of experience our dolls provide. Time will tell.

Lemminkainen
Doll Patriarch
Doll Patriarch

Post by Lemminkainen »

Many of us contributed, and I believe Jack did his part well. The journalist gathers and compiles lots of info and organizes it to tell one story, then the editor cuts and trims it into another story. Ask Midi and others about that. :whistle:
We can think about the future, but live in the now. Attitudes will change as time goes on. This is one of many articles and stories that has been, and many will follow. As time passes, evolution occurs in societies. Who knows how soon, but if our little subculture remains long enough, it could really take hold. It's obvious that we don't feel the need hide it in the closet anymore. Time, tolerance and patience. Maybe a lot of time, or maybe sooner than we expect. Got something better to do anyways? I intend on enjoying my gals while I'm here, no matter what the stories read, and have as good a time as I can with yall. :glou:

Mr-Smith
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by Mr-Smith »

Lemminkainen wrote:Many of us contributed, and I believe Jack did his part well. The journalist gathers and compiles lots of info and organizes it to tell one story, then the editor cuts and trims it into another story. Ask Midi and others about that. :whistle:
We can think about the future, but live in the now. Attitudes will change as time goes on. This is one of many articles and stories that has been, and many will follow. As time passes, evolution occurs in societies. Who knows how soon, but if our little subculture remains long enough, it could really take hold. It's obvious that we don't feel the need hide it in the closet anymore. Time, tolerance and patience. Maybe a lot of time, or maybe sooner than we expect. Got something better to do anyways? I intend on enjoying my gals while I'm here, no matter what the stories read, and have as good a time as I can with yall. :glou:
I agree and didn't mean to come off as a dig at the author or the article he wrote. I thought it had a very positive tone overall which maybe all we can expect in this day and age. While time marches on social mores may change, but so will the technology. We are already seeing rapid advancements in robotics and AI (in Japanese nursing facilities, banks and even hospitality industries). In time I think that these techs and doll industry will merge (or at least borrow from one another). It seems that the alternative "doll" life style is already taking hold much faster in the East than in the West. The future may not be so far away as we think. :wink:
" The candle that burns twice as bright, burns half as long..."

Mr-Smith
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by Mr-Smith »

LaDollyVita wrote:
Mr-Smith wrote:The fact that we still refer to them as "Sex Dolls" even here in TDF I find archaic and a bit barbaric even. Many people yet to realize that while yes, these "Adult Dolls" started in the sex industry, that they have moved well beyond those humble beginnings and so have their owners.
I've thought about this quite a bit over the past year. I think TDF in its current incarnation is more or less needed, even if it seems distasteful from time to time to folks that see their dolls as more than sex toys. Sooner or later someone will be motivated to start a separate site or forum that removes nudity from the equation. Not to compete with TDF, but to add to the breadth of experience our dolls provide. Time will tell.
Well there are other doll forums. Collectors doll forums, reborn doll forums, etc. Some even share similar aspects with adult dolls, reborns for instance have been touted as having therapeutic value for individuals who cannot have or have lost a child. Or collectors dolls maybe used in art photography. Just a couple of examples. The fact remains that there is a huge gap between "other dolls" and Adult Dolls. In fact our dolls would be as unwelcome there as they would be here. Now I DO NOT suggest that TDF try to bridge that gap and accept that TDF is adult forum for Love Dolls! Only that we try to broaden our own horizons and sees that there is more to dolls and doll owners than sexual gratification and desire.
" The candle that burns twice as bright, burns half as long..."

hanuman37
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by hanuman37 »

puma uma wrote:It was a good read. Could it have been better? yes. Overall, a good article but i see where everyone is coming from.
Exactly what I was thinking... while it's far from perfect, it's much better than the treatment we usually get.

Resonator

Post by Resonator »

Read the article. I enjoyed it. It was quite good.

Jack Callil
Media Account
Media Account

Post by Jack Callil »

Hey everyone, thanks for your support for the article!

I'm glad you approve of it, and apologies for the error in numbers of members - I realise now I sourced an outdated number. Thanks again to everyone that helped me get the piece up, I found talking with each of your enjoyable and very interesting.

Thanks again,

Jack Callil

stacy718
Photographer
Photographer

Post by stacy718 »

singular but nice, corny, and cliche...

And that there is only one comment, proves to me that people have read this story time and time again. I humbly await an article that really delves in to the love doll phenomenon.

Hostage
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Hostage »

I enjoyed the article - fair and unbiased.

Yes, could have been more thorough - talk about women and married owners - not just social hermits like myself ;)

Maybe next article :)
"Slide and let the silicone embrace you as you fall.." ~ Phish, Sand

http://www.dollalbum.com/dollgallery/in ... ?cat=14636

royunderhill
Basic Poster
Basic Poster

Post by royunderhill »

Well written article.

Stephanie RD
Ex-Member

Post by Stephanie RD »

Perhaps I was a little harsh in my criticisms of VICE. They used my photo! Thanks!

Xephyr
Doll Patriarch
Doll Patriarch

Post by Xephyr »

Eh... outsiders don't care, no matter how good this article may seem. We are taboo to them and will be for a while until it becomes lot more large-scale, like LGBT has become. You'll know when it becomes big, where you simply can't go anywhere without hearing a conversation about love dolls, not just that topic that pops up every blue moon.

Stephanie RD
Ex-Member

Post by Stephanie RD »

When it comes to certain topics any press is good press.

Even if the article degraded dolls and owners in the worst way the reality is it will let more people know about dolls who may not have even known love dolls existed.

Sure, some people will hate dolls no matter what. The article being positive or negative won't change their opinions either way.

IanEvans
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by IanEvans »

stacy718 wrote:singular but nice, corny, and cliche...
And of course it had to have the "You probably think dolls are for creepy, introverted perverts, but..." type intro, thus starting off the reader with a negative mindset that the rest of the article is spent refuting. :roll:

Click above to view my albums. :mrgreen:

You never truly feel that another person loves you. You can only react to the way they behave towards you. And when I look in Caley's eyes and see that same bittersweet longing I feel for her, whatever part of my brain knows it's not real doesn't seem to care...

rubherkitty
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle
Location: Interstate 44 with 10 long-haired Friends a' Jesus In a chartreuse micra-bus

Post by rubherkitty »

Good point NMN.

Guilty of perversion until proven to be just a lonely misfit.
--------------------------------------------------------------
I don't have a blog and am not a member of any social network site. I'm not in the media.
I just wish there was a member of TDF or a trustworthy journalist who could do a really in depth story of doll owners in a positive light and get it out there in the world somehow.
Going downtown. Gonna see my gal. Gonna sing her a song. I'm gonna show her my ding dong! C&C

INFORMATIONS