Starpery.com

Study topic: Making a large ball joint type love doll.

Got an idea? Need an invention?
rubherkitty
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle
Location: Interstate 44 with 10 long-haired Friends a' Jesus In a chartreuse micra-bus

Re: Study topic: Making a large ball joint type love doll.

Post by rubherkitty »

OK, I went back just a page and looked at the other design. Yes, the new design is much smoother. Beauty over articulation is probably better on this one.

Are you thinking a solid rod for the axis or a larger diameter ring/flange type of connection?
Going downtown. Gonna see my gal. Gonna sing her a song. I'm gonna show her my ding dong! C&C

samara78
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary

Post by samara78 »

MannequinFan wrote:I thought I would resurrect this thread a little today.
I've been wanting to try a simplified hip design similar to the Orient Nano doll with the Makehuman model.
I think this worked out pretty nicely - would be much simpler to do also.
front-back.jpg
The legs simply rotate on one axis. Gives a perfect leg spread when rotated.
The only drawback is she wouldn't be able to put her legs together (if that's a drawback :) ).
spread front.jpg
spread back.jpg
Nice doll I hope you make her
The empty orchestra still plays.
Bored, certified "plastic" surgeon. Serving the masses.
Dolls i have worked on. Real doll ,JM doll,teddybabes,Anime fabric doll,wm doll, d.s dolls, Diao shi, extravaganza air dolls, 1st pc, and candy8teen dolls.

Need work done? Feel free to send me a note.

samara78
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary

Post by samara78 »

MannequinFan wrote:
samara78 wrote:I just naught this item on ebay
Hey Sam, that's an interesting mannequin.
Is that some kind of a med training mannequin or did somebody make that for sex?
Buying it from a pervert in my home state of michigan.
It is a medical resustation manniquin. She measylures 64 inches in length. You attach the upper and lower half of the doll via the hall that is in her crotch there.
Dolls i have worked on. Real doll ,JM doll,teddybabes,Anime fabric doll,wm doll, d.s dolls, Diao shi, extravaganza air dolls, 1st pc, and candy8teen dolls.

MannequinFan
Vendor Affiliated
Vendor Affiliated

Post by MannequinFan »

rubherkitty wrote:OK, I went back just a page and looked at the other design. Yes, the new design is much smoother. Beauty over articulation is probably better on this one.

Are you thinking a solid rod for the axis or a larger diameter ring/flange type of connection?
Probably a magnetic connection very similar to the one on Eva's arms. That seems to be working pretty well and it's pretty strong.
Make it simple as possible.
Here's a comparison of the ball-in-ball version on the left and the simple rotating one on the right. The ball-in-ball version would have an extra joint as the leg would be separate from the ball (similar to Abby's shoulder joint). Still better than the original idea a few pages back with the "fenders".
hip compare-front.jpg
hip compare-front.jpg (309 KiB) Viewed 3152 times
hip compare-back.jpg
hip compare-back.jpg (307.86 KiB) Viewed 3152 times

MannequinFan
Vendor Affiliated
Vendor Affiliated

Post by MannequinFan »

She now has platform heels!
This adds 3" to her height so she's now 4'-9" tall...
front-back with heels.jpg
front-back with heels.jpg (235.87 KiB) Viewed 3121 times
footheel1.jpg
footheel1.jpg (510.79 KiB) Viewed 3121 times

MannequinFan
Vendor Affiliated
Vendor Affiliated

Post by MannequinFan »

Been messing around on the computer a little with this again. Moving electrons around is cheap. :wink:
Just out of curiosity, I wondered if the Makehuman legs and pelvis would work with the upper half of the African teen mannequin we looked at earlier.
I scaled the legs up 10% and they fit almost perfectly with the torso. The waist on the MH model is a little smaller so it would fit nicely up inside the MQ body.
She would be about 5'-3" with the heels...
BC06 hip study3.jpg
BC06 hip study3.jpg (263.48 KiB) Viewed 3009 times
BTW, to respond to an earlier comment...
DarkOne wrote:Never even seen a consumer 3d printer that could print a whole arm, nevermind a torso.
Printed on my little Afinia printer...
IMG_3753.JPG
IMG_3753.JPG (319.3 KiB) Viewed 3009 times

samara78
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary

Post by samara78 »

Wow that arm looks pretty cool. Had to pop in and check on this thread.

rubherkitty
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle
Location: Interstate 44 with 10 long-haired Friends a' Jesus In a chartreuse micra-bus

Post by rubherkitty »

Good idea of using the MQ torso. Would save a lot of print time.
Any idea on how many pieces you would have to print to get from ground to torso?

I've never seen the african girl MQ in person to see how detailed it is. I'm sure as with all mannequins it could be enhanced some. Should be easy to make a mold of the mannequin torso to replicate it in fiberglass. The hip piece could probably be molded and made from glass. From thighs down would probably have to be slosh cast.

5' w/ out heels is a good height. I prefer a shade smaller, but she could fit into a adult crotch zip XXS catsuit at 5'.
Other petite adult clothes as well.
Going downtown. Gonna see my gal. Gonna sing her a song. I'm gonna show her my ding dong! C&C

MannequinFan
Vendor Affiliated
Vendor Affiliated

Post by MannequinFan »

Hey RK,

I would need to do an in depth study on the number of pieces, but I think I would try to do as much of the legs with the layered foam as possible.
There's not a lot of extreme detail on the legs so it should be fairly easy. The feet would be printed just like the ones I sent you and the knee sections could be printed in one piece with holes for some PVC pipe to connect everything. I would need to at least print the joint surfaces/sockets at the top of the thigh. The whole thing would then need to be coated with Epsilon to unify everything and make it strong and rigid. I think the pelvis could also be done mainly in layered foam with the joints and insert printed. Still lots of printing but definitely doable.

The African teen MQ has a pretty nice upper body with nice subtle details of the rib cage, belly button, etc. The lower half of her really sucks though which is why I sent it back. The arms on the MQ are quite nice - slightly bent with cute little hands.

I'm wondering if interchangeable knee sections could be made for sitting and standing instead of movable joints?

rubherkitty
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by rubherkitty »

No knee joints? ETA: I see you addressed this.

If you have to buy the MQ for the torso, why not use the legs as well? Just add the feet/ heels you like and the hip joints? I reviewed the MQ and see it has a turned in L leg. It could probably be rotated back straight good enough.

Understand about the foam calves and thighs, but this would certainly make it a non printer production doll.
Wasn't certain what you had in mind.

Maybe the pelvis and torso could be molded as 1-pc rather than have joint line? Would depend upon the final design I assume. I remember you mentioned the MQ had a flat butt. The MH butt is certainly nice.

MannequinFan
Vendor Affiliated
Vendor Affiliated

Post by MannequinFan »

I'm thinking the pelvis would be blended to the torso with Aves sculpt or bondo so there wouldn't be an apparent line. It would be one piece if you molded it, yes.
Trying to work with the MQ legs and match them up with the hips would probably be more work than just making new ones, at least for me anyway.
The nice thing about using the MH legs is that they are symmetrical so I'd only need one design and just mirror for the other side.

I know it would be a shame to throw out the MQ legs but having the arms and torso done might make it worthwhile - just a thought. I still haven't given up on the all MH 4'-6" model. FG and I were talking about running the foam lengthwise on the torso to reduce the number of pieces which could be a possibility.

rubherkitty
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by rubherkitty »

Matching the legs to hips, yes, probably difficult. You would just have to have them in hand to see. You could probably sell them.
But I also assume anywhere you use the foam process the surface will have to be coated and smoothed as well.
Globbing bondo on 1/2" thick is easy. It's finishing out that last 1/16" of anything that makes or breaks the time.

The cost of the mannequin for just the torso and arms is well worth it VS making it from scratch. If I do a plug for a silicone doll mold I'm still debating making it from mannequin parts VS the foam and putty method.
May be a combo of mannequin, foam and printed pieces? Whatever works out for the least amount of labor.

Good idea about the vertical layup of foam for a torso. Will the templates have to be printed in 2/3 sheets taped together? Of course this would be best vs more cutting and joint lines.

Have you ever posted close up pics of the MH hand you made? Just curious how detailed it came out.

MannequinFan
Vendor Affiliated
Vendor Affiliated

Post by MannequinFan »

OK, as long as I'm on this kick I thought I'd run through the vertical foam idea in Rhino.
Going vertical I think 1/4" foam would work better, otherwise you'll have a huge amount of filling to do on the sides.
This actually worked out better than I thought it would. 28 long pieces and a few smaller pieces on the sides.
It should be easier and quicker to cut the 1/4" foam compared to the 3/4" foam and there would be no shaping needed - just simply cut them out with a utility knife.
The longest templates would need to be printed on two 8-1/2 x 14 sheets and taped together.
This is with the torso enlarged 10% for the 59" doll height...
foam torso-front.jpg
foam torso-front.jpg (519.14 KiB) Viewed 2917 times
It worked out pretty well - most places would be just a matter of spreading filler over the contours which should be pretty easy with a flexible applicator.
Using 1/4" foam the fill won't be any thicker than that anywhere. There's only a few places where the foam sticks out and will need to be sanded off - mainly around where the butt crack turns in.
The blue areas are where the foam edges protrude from the original sculpt...
foam torso-front removal areas.jpg
foam torso-front removal areas.jpg (452.66 KiB) Viewed 2917 times
You can get the 1/4" foam sheathing at HD. It comes in folding 2'x4' panels.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Owens-Cornin ... /100320301
This Free Form Air epoxy putty from Smooth-On might be a good thing to use for the filler as it can be used on foam and it doesn't shrink...
http://www.smooth-on.com/Epoxy-Putty-Fr ... index.html
The Drydex spackling could be used also, but it may shrink quite a bit as it dries. FG said he used this with success on his test pieces.

On the hand this is the closest pic I have.
The detail is much nicer on the hands than on the feet...
IMG_3617.JPG
IMG_3617.JPG (628.93 KiB) Viewed 2917 times

rubherkitty
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by rubherkitty »

Glad the vertical foam idea worked out.

Something to also consider about any kind of putty on the foam torso is the durability. If the finished product is just going to be for pics no biggie, but if it will get lots of sex then... A thin shell may crack or flake off easy vs a heavy layer of fiberglass re-inforced bondo. Not suggesting bondo over other putty. Just thoughts. Bondo is heavy and may not react well w/ certain foam.

Yeah, that hand looks nice. A few palm lines is all it really needs. I wonder what lines signify nymphomania?

MannequinFan
Vendor Affiliated
Vendor Affiliated

Post by MannequinFan »

Those are good points on the durability RK.
I'm thinking the foam would be covered with a couple of coats of Epsilon (about 1/16" thick). Being solid foam it should be a pretty tough assembly.

This is starting to look more and more feasible. Lots of printing but doable.
Here's the way the thigh and hip joint could work borrowing the arm joint pin from Eva.
For the straighter parts of the leg you could probably use 3/4" foam and use 1/4" for the curves at the top.
The hip would be printed in 4 pieces and have a wood dowel or PVC bone that would tie into the knee.
foam thigh construction.jpg
foam thigh construction.jpg (540.16 KiB) Viewed 2865 times

INFORMATIONS