betterlovedoll.com

Would you have sex with a robot?

Articles about Dolls and Owners in digital and printed media.
Also includes radio.
katiesBoyfriend
Doll Elder
Doll Elder
Location: Western spiral arm of the Milky Way galaxy, out near the outskirts of the Laniakea supercluster

Re: Would you have sex with a robot?

Post by katiesBoyfriend »

RainLover wrote:
katiesBoyfriend wrote:I've also found that the more I know people, the more I prefer computers. The machines are more logical and often better-behaved than humans.
More logical? Better behaved? So you never use computers, apparently. :razz:
I've been working with computers for nearly 40 years, at all levels from microprocessors to mainframes. I even take them apart and fix them. After all, my last degree is in electrical and *computer* engineering.
Computers are like toddlers.
Computers will do only what they are told, not what the user or programmer thought they were instructed to do.
They require constantly running after them, keeping them out of stuff they shouldn't get into, and cleaning them up when they get dirty, which is all the time.
If one uses a machine, it is logical that they might require cleaning once in a while.
One can only hope that sex robots of the future will have more stable patch levels and more resistance to malware and spyware than the average computer of today. :(

:plaidskirt:
Rather than the malware known as human irrationality.
"A man has to be what he is, Joey. Can't break the mould. I tried it and it didn't work for me." Alan Ladd, Shane
"The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity." Harlan Ellison
"Dad says that anyone who can't use a slide rule is a cultural illiterate and should not be allowed to vote. Mine is a beauty--a K&E 20-inch Log-log Duplex Decitrig." Robert Heinlein

casquetero
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by casquetero »

If the robot looks good, sure! :thumbs_up:
You can check dolls (and sex toy reviews) at my blog: http://thecasqueterofiles.com/

How many dolls I have? Complete list and description of my harem: https://thecasqueterofiles.com/my-doll-harem/

Slew
TDF Staff Alumni
TDF Staff Alumni

Post by Slew »

Thanks, RL, interesting read.
Sotaichou wrote:If she was my type. absolutely. :)

/g'day.
That's how I feel, too. :wink:

Probably similar to dolls, only more charged, sex-bots will still be reacted to negatively by those who are easily led to the uncanny valley. If they become sentient, then it'll be a hardcore ethical debate, and it'll be ugly. Personally, I don't believe that any artificial intelligence could ever be classified as sentient. I don't believe that even the most powerful code could program something to become someone, and become alive. I'm not %100 convinced of what I just said though. :o

Slew

Edit: Kidding aside, I am actually %100 convinced of what I said, there's no way a non-living object can become a sentient being.

4biddenartist
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by 4biddenartist »

Slew, just what if all we know, all we are, the vastness of the universe itself is but a sub atomic particle within a living being itself?
I think therefore,
I try not to.
-me

Slew
TDF Staff Alumni
TDF Staff Alumni

Post by Slew »

4biddenartist wrote:Slew, just what if all we know, all we are, the vastness of the universe itself is but a sub atomic particle within a living being itself?
Then I'll be a "Guelfinquatopotlzudcanski!" :silly: ..and I'll admit that I was all wrong, but I'll believe it more when I see evidence!

dragonfly8878
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by dragonfly8878 »

Of course. Anyone ever watch the adult 3D show "Tripping The Rift?" Watching Six's breasts sway always gets me interested in fembot sex.
"We are the music makers. And we are the dreamers of dreams." ~Willy Wonka

SiliconeWorld
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by SiliconeWorld »

Personally after watching the movie "HER", I pondered the possibilities of generating a RELATIOSHIP with a machine. One could, if so desired, have sex with a doll and there are many absolutely beautiful ones! Just think if that could be coupled with a growing, sharing relationship that developes over time . Best of both worlds! Granted, still short of a meaningful relationship between two people. (But that was not the question, I believe)

dragonfly8878
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by dragonfly8878 »

4biddenartist wrote:Slew, just what if all we know, all we are, the vastness of the universe itself is but a sub atomic particle within a living being itself?
Or what if we realize that our whole existence takes place inside a locker at a giant intergalactic transportation terminal? Oh wait... that's Men In Black 2.

Ok then, what if we discover whatever that weird thing was that happens out by Jupiter in 2001: A Space Odyssey? Oh wait... that's 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Darn it, I'm confused now. I'm so addled, I don't even know what a Guelfinquatopotlzudcanski is. 8O :wink:
"We are the music makers. And we are the dreamers of dreams." ~Willy Wonka

Szalinski
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by Szalinski »

katiesBoyfriend wrote:<snip!>
Computers will do only what they are told, not what the user or programmer thought they were instructed to do.</snip!>
In that case, computers are most definitely NOT like toddlers!!

As for the original poster's question, "Would you have sex with a robot?"; do Cylons count?

OK Now, be honest. How many members here were expecting me to say that? :mrgreen:
“If freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.”
~ George Washington

katiesBoyfriend
Doll Elder
Doll Elder
Location: Western spiral arm of the Milky Way galaxy, out near the outskirts of the Laniakea supercluster

Szalinski wrote: <snip>

As for the original poster's question, "Would you have sex with a robot?"; do Cylons count?
Ah, but which version of Cylon? :wink: Somehow, the shiny "By your command" ones never appealed to me. If, however, they looked like Number Eight....
OK Now, be honest. How many members here were expecting me to say that? :mrgreen:
"A man has to be what he is, Joey. Can't break the mould. I tried it and it didn't work for me." Alan Ladd, Shane
"The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity." Harlan Ellison
"Dad says that anyone who can't use a slide rule is a cultural illiterate and should not be allowed to vote. Mine is a beauty--a K&E 20-inch Log-log Duplex Decitrig." Robert Heinlein

RainLover
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by RainLover »

katiesBoyfriend wrote:
RainLover wrote:
katiesBoyfriend wrote:I've also found that the more I know people, the more I prefer computers. The machines are more logical and often better-behaved than humans.
More logical? Better behaved? So you never use computers, apparently. :razz:
I've been working with computers for nearly 40 years, at all levels from microprocessors to mainframes. I even take them apart and fix them. After all, my last degree is in electrical and *computer* engineering.
I assume you have your degrees under glass so the ink doesn't rub off from kissing them so much. :twisted: Of course I know your background, which is why I was razzing you about it. As for my own experience, been there, done that, strongly disagree with you about how and why computers behave badly.
katiesBoyfriend wrote:
Computers will do only what they are told, not what the user or programmer thought they were instructed to do.
That's ridiculous. You're only disagreeing with me here because I'm calling out programmers and designers as the petulant little monsters they are and you see yourself painted with this brush. If the shoe fits, wear it, unless it clashes with that outfit, and in that case, those shoes SUCK! :razz: But we've already had that conversation. :roll:
katiesBoyfriend wrote:
They require constantly running after them, keeping them out of stuff they shouldn't get into, and cleaning them up when they get dirty, which is all the time.
If one uses a machine, it is logical that they might require cleaning once in a while.
You're choosing to completely miss the point of my toddler analogy because I'm right and you like it when I argue with you. :wink:
katiesBoyfriend wrote:
One can only hope that sex robots of the future will have more stable patch levels and more resistance to malware and spyware than the average computer of today. :(
All programmable devices are subject to malware and spyware because whatever one person makes, someone else will find a way to exploit. That situation is only worsening. Putting computers on a pedestal is the kind of dangerous thinking that leads people to make things they shouldn't, or to make them badly, ignoring the harm that can come from it in their zeal to see if they can do it. We've had that conversation before too.

"Pour yourself a drink, put on some lipstick, and pull yourself together." -- Liz Taylor
"Home, where my love lies waiting silently for me." -- hipsters Simon & Garfunkel, singing about doll ownership before it was cool.

RainLover
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by RainLover »

Seattle Slew wrote:Thanks, RL, interesting read.
You're welcome, Slew! I'm glad you enjoyed it. :D

Szalinski wrote:As for the original poster's question, "Would you have sex with a robot?"; do Cylons count?

Of course, Szal! Sharon wouldn't have it any other way, and neither would we! :D Your Cylon rules! :thumbs_up:

"Pour yourself a drink, put on some lipstick, and pull yourself together." -- Liz Taylor
"Home, where my love lies waiting silently for me." -- hipsters Simon & Garfunkel, singing about doll ownership before it was cool.

katiesBoyfriend
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

RainLover wrote:
katiesBoyfriend wrote: <snip>

All programmable devices are subject to malware and spyware because whatever one person makes, someone else will find a way to exploit.
That's a sweeping generalization. Something as simple as a mercury switch thermostat is a programmable device and is reliable and robust. There's little that can go wrong with it unless it malfunctions due to mechanical failure or a poor electrical connection.

Systems can be made tamper-proof. The question is whether anyone is willing to pay the price it'll cost to make them so.
That situation is only worsening. Putting computers on a pedestal is the kind of dangerous thinking that leads people to make things they shouldn't, or to make them badly, ignoring the harm that can come from it in their zeal to see if they can do it. We've had that conversation before too.

<snip>
I've worked with, designed, and built a variety of mechanical and electrical/electronic systems throughout my adult life. There isn't much that I haven't already seen or can't figure out on my own. They can be made to withstand hazardous operating conditions as well as running them outside of specified parameters. It is difficult, however, to guard against deliberate vandalism or sabotage.

However, I prefer dealing with them than most people. If anything goes wrong with a machine, there's usually a reason why, such as improper operation or component failure. Often, the error can be corrected or the damage repaired, and, if not, the machine is usually replaceable either with an exact copy or something equivalent.

Human beings are known to do things which completely defy all logic, reason, and rationality. Sometimes that is due to error, arising from circumstances such as fatigue or illness. However, often they will do things simply out of self-interest or outright malice, making a deliberate decision to do so, even when there is a clear choice to select another course of action. Show me a machine or an animal that does that.

Thndrrbolt
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by Thndrrbolt »

Human beings are known to do things which completely defy all logic, reason, and rationality. Sometimes that is due to error, arising from circumstances such as fatigue or illness. However, often they will do things simply out of self-interest or outright malice, making a deliberate decision to do so, even when there is a clear choice to select another course of action. Show me a machine or an animal that does that.
And humans have an intrinsic malware that some folks seem to deal with to a degree, while with others, it becomes an all-consuming motivator.
PRIDE.
It gets played out in endless variations of "mine is bigger than yours".
"I am bigger, stronger, faster, younger, better looking, richer, more educated, more popular, better read, more travelled, more successful".....ad nauseum.
I am NONE of these, and I'm darned proud of it! :-)
And as far as the original question goes: Are you looking for volunteers? :-)
T'Bolt

RainLover
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by RainLover »

katiesBoyfriend wrote:If anything goes wrong with a machine, there's usually a reason why, such as improper operation or component failure. Often, the error can be corrected or the damage repaired, and, if not, the machine is usually replaceable either with an exact copy or something equivalent.
That misses my point.
katiesBoyfriend wrote:Human beings are known to do things which completely defy all logic, reason, and rationality. Sometimes that is due to error, arising from circumstances such as fatigue or illness. However, often they will do things simply out of self-interest or outright malice, making a deliberate decision to do so, even when there is a clear choice to select another course of action. Show me a machine or an animal that does that.
Microsoft Windows. Vicious dogs. You're still missing my point.

Ignoring the effect of human emotions, motivations, bad design, and (even under the best conditions, unintended consequences) in any engineered device is pure folly, and the world runs on all of that. That's why there's a secondary market for repair or replacement of everything. Even a mercury switch requires reliable components, good manufacturing practices, proper installation and user setting to work correctly. I've had to replace too many thermostats in my day to fall for hardware-based arguments, but again, real dangers lie in all devices, programmable or mechanical, but programmable devices are by far the worst with computer makers of both hardware and software being the worse of the worst. Want to argue that something as simple as a switch can't be a deadly weapon? Talk to people who stepped off a landmine. Or were killed from driving a recalled GM car with a defective ignition switch. Oh that's right, you can't. THEY'RE DEAD.

Computer makers and programmers have been lying to customers, the media, and themselves for generations, from the glowing hype about what something's supposed to do, to planned obsolescence. Even open source software is routinely used against the people who install it, or has bugs or limitations even within the scope of its intended operation. It's an adversarial relationship which we have with machines, an uneasy peace in the best of times, and subverting our efforts and spying on us the rest of the time, built for profit, not altruism, with their useful lives calculated to barely outlast their warranties. Arguing against that position is indefensible. If you do so, everyone reading this thread will know you're on the wrong side of this equation. So go ahead, out yourself.

This doesn't mean I wouldn't have sex with a robot, but you can be damn sure I'd inspect it very carefully and know everything I could about its operation before I'd let it touch me intimately.

INFORMATIONS