sexyrealsexdolls.com

When choosing a camera.......

No matter how great your camera might be, it is how you apply your skills that makes the difference between an OK shot and a great shot. Here you can talk technical, talk creative, share your techniques, lighting, and digital editing. This is where we can all help each other to take better photos.
If you post a photo here and are looking for a critique, you should be prepared for honest criticism even if it hurts. It will only help to make us better photographers.

Moderator: Swan

mytime
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by mytime »

TheConnoisseur wrote:
The main thing that I have noticed that the D90 does
better than the D40 is that the really, really low light pics come
out less grainy. Since I like doing those kind of shots, it is
working out well for me.
...And there the new D3 technology comes in probably.

What made me decide to try D40 was that the images at quite high iso's at imageresource made by the D40 looked quite sharp.
I don't know if these are made under really poor light circumstances, maybe not.
Any way I don't photograph much under that circumstances, if, yes then it may be better to pay down the more than double money for the D90 than what I paid for a D40.
The D90 has too the AF motor inside, needed for using (older) lenses without an AF motor.

Mytime & Helen & Carmen
One dream, one mission...

mytime
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by mytime »

Hi All,

My set arrived today.
I assembled it carefully (check box content, remove the body and the lens from the package and assemble it).
I also assembled the Hoya UV filter, I think thats great, lens protection and a little better photo's come for 20,99 euro!
I don't have to be very panoid with the lens cap too due to this filter I can have the cap off longer with having the lens still protected which may be handy.
The SB 400 flash looks to me what I expected, a handy small extra 90 degree turnable (to the ceiling to emulate bit a soft box!) flash unit running on two penlites!
One drawback this camera is small and my hands really big.
I'am used to the big 1980? Pentax K 1000, plenty of room to hold her.
Now I have left not so much room to hold the camera, right it goes.
On the other hand, most camera's have today a screen and buttons on the left edge, I think I need to learn to get used to it.

Big hands (my hand compared with Helen's B7 hand).

Further it feels bit like owning a car but not yet knowing how the gearbox works, I need to learn this new camera.

Mytime & Helen & Carmen

Incrediwagon
Ex-Member

Post by Incrediwagon »

mytime wrote: Further it feels bit like owning a car but not yet knowing how the gearbox works, I need to learn this new camera.

Mytime & Helen & Carmen
One cure for that... Take plenty of pictures 8)
Red Heads Rule!

mytime
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by mytime »

One cure for that... Take plenty of pictures

Yup lol, if the pub was not there LOL,
Went out for an SD card but it took me the whole afternoon and evening, I met way too much interesting people at the pub.
An 1926 Terrot motorcycle and a 1950's? MG-A passed by and a lot other good friends, and a nice girl I like to dance with (girls friends don't dance with the girls they are too tired for it? I dance with the girls LOL).
Any way I got an 4 GB sd card home.
Tomorrow more camera testing LOL, other 2 days of this pinkster weekend I hope to do more serious work again.

Mytime & Helen & Carmen

mytime
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by mytime »

Hi All,

Ok, I've made my first few miles Nikon D40:
I've still to learn a ton!
But this may give an impression what my 475 euro worth of gear can do:
The first picture is from Carmen made with the SB-400 flash bounced against the wall by turning it 90 degrees

For comparison a photo I took with my old gear:

Second one is a rose in the garden (sunlight)

I'am still mainly relying on auto settings on the camera, theyre both made in a macro setting while the photo of carmen was from 1 meter about distance but I like the (accidentally) used macro setting more :?.
Any way still a lot to learn, I'am going still the whole road in first gear, have to find out the other gears LOL.
But I'am convinced that a entry level DSLR can be of help for one with getting better photos, I can not get this stuff out my old 2003 medion 5 MP. D40 is a 2006 design so not the newest too (bought the camera new).
I think it will be sold for some months more but the stock of D40's will once be sold ot so if you are thinking about doing this and buying new for a low price than its a good idea not to wait too long.
Keep in mind that this are just "simply photo's", I have not yet put creativity in it, but I think they give a little idea about what the set I bought can. Now I know its so *#@#! difficult to learn and that I have to read trough hundreds pages manual, my respect for Stacy grows :lol:
Not wanting to say its not doable to use a D40, but one needs some patience, if you don't have that go with a compact.

Mytime & Helen & Carmen

mytime
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Affordable DSLR gear: Nikon D40 Photo camera review

Post by mytime »

Hi All,

I've bought a Nikon D40 DSLR about a month ago.
I'am still learning this gear so there may be some pitfalls in this information but here my experiences up to now.
I do not wanting to say that you need a DSLR here, because compact camera's can do very good photo's too, and one has to make the photo by him/herself the creativity in composition and lighting is the major part of the photo the camera the minor part.
But if you want the advantage of exchangable lenses for photographing in low light and fast shutter speed for photographing moving objects the DSLR comes IMO in.
Its one of the most affordable DSLR's though its already an older Nikon model, I think due to that within a half year one can not buy this one new any more.
The camera is only 6 MP while there are compacts with the double now, but keep in mind that MP's are not everything. As long as you don't go bigger than 20 X 30" this camera does IMO a great job for you, and the image quality is IMO better than on the 10 MP D60, from the images I saw on imageresource.com.
They are also sold manufacturer refurbished (at least in USA), for 375 US$, they come with the same 18-55 mm lens as I have then (only lack VR stabilisation) http://www.adorama.com/INKD40KR.html
I've been shooting quite some photo's with it and my experience is that the 18-55 mm zoomlens and the camera work great.
I also bought a SB400 flash, you don't really need it if you have enough lighting, but if you need it you can turn it 90 degrees to bounce it against the ceiling, the object you photograph is not flashy then, which works very fine, these flash units are about 99 US$.
Further I protect my lenses with Hoya UV protect filters those do only some UV blocking but further nothing but protect your lens when you shoot with the lenscap removed. Its only a matter of ordering the right diameter for the standard 18-55 mm zoom its 52 mm and screwing it on the lens, the lens cap fits in the filter again so you can still protect both the hoya filter and the lens with it.
This DSLR has no live view so you have to do everything regarding photo composition with the view finder. IMO its not a biggy because you get a crystal clear view finder which works nicely and displays apeture and shutter and meter info, and, how do you keep a DSLR stable in your hand when viewing on a life view lcd?
With a tripod it goes but else I don't know how to do it.
Working with a DSLR is bit different than with a compact you need to work clean when changing lenses e.g. and you are reading and prepairing the camera which takes you one time half a day before you can make the first photo, and you are always wearing a small hand bag with you that contains your camera and your lenses. Its all do-able but if thats not your thing a compact may be a better choice.
But shooting in Auto mode is as easy as photographing with a compact camera. In auto you can not change anything the camera locks everything.
When you shoot in P mode you can change settings like white balance and the camera still does the aperture and the shutter.
When you shoot in A mode the camera does the shutter but you can do the apeture with the thumb wheel
When you shoot in S mode the camera does the apeture but you can do the shutter timing.
When you shoot in M mode you have to do everything (shutter and apeture).
This modes can be choosen by turning the wheel that sits on the top of the camera, there are more programmed modes for specific situations like sport, portrait, night protrait, landscape, macro, and very handy a mode in which you turn off the flash but further automatic.
You can choose to plug some settings into your D40 which I found on the internet, IMO it improves the colors and the lighting.

Below a picture I did in Auto mode using the sb-400 flash 90 degrees turned bouncing against the ceiling:

A picture of "family Swan", risking my life because daddy swan protects the children... in auto mode
Below a macro photo from a Thai made fake Breitling with the standard 18-55 mm zoom lens in Macro mode (top wheel on macro)
A photo of the naomi campbell head sculpture I made (auto, using 18-55 mm tele).
Below a photo in auto mode (without the special settings)
Below a photo in P mode (using the settings I found on the internet).
Below a photo of a design house using the special settings.

Below a photo I made with a AF 50 mm f 1.8 D lens (aprox 120 US$), and this lens has nearly no distortion. I bought wanting to experiment with a lens but its not adviceable to buy this lens for a D40, a D40X a D60 or a D5000 because these camera's lack the focusmotor and it takes all my effort to get it manually focussed, for other Nikons this lens is a bargain (if you own e.g. a D200, get one!).
A 50 mm lens becomes a 75 mm lens on a D40 (the DX image sensor in the D40 format is smaller than fullframe and that causes the multiplier factor but its a little bigger than APS-C, and thus the multiplier is 1.5).
The photo is made with shutter 1/4000 and an apeture of 2.0 to isolate the flower from the background with a small field of dept (smaller apeture is bigger field of dept, bigger apeture is small field of depth). If you want 50 mm big apeture lens on a D40 better buy a AFS 50 mm F1.4 G or a Sigma 50 1.4 HSM (the sigma is a big lens but has a better bokeh as far I read, which stands for being able to make a very nice blurry background), using the settings.

Below a photo of Carmen with the 50 mm, no distortion this is Carmen as she is! Only light was bit dull.

You can find the settings I'am talking about here: http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d40/us ... /index.htm
There is also information on that site for correcting distortion in photoshop for a lot nikon lenses, e.g. for the standard 18-55 mm zoom the D40 comes with. If you benefit from the information, I think its honest to do a small donation to that guy.

If one owns another nice camera IMO feel free to put a review IMO we all benefit from this kind of information.

Mytime & Helen & Carmen

CJD
Ex-Member

Post by CJD »

Youre getting some pretty nice results!
" Look deep into my ey....er sexy boobies, and fall under their spell. "

mytime
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by mytime »

Hi CJD,

I posted this to give members a bit an idea what one with no experience with DSLR's like me can do with them.
I have some experience with a pentax K 1000 (1980's slr).
I don't want to advice an DSLR to everybody (I have written that too) because you need to be bit handy & prepaired to work clean and accurate with lenses and store the whole photo camera and lenses in a photocamerabag, but IMO its not difficult but you need to have some patience & accurancy, if you don't have that, or don't want to need a bag for your camera, buy a compact, they are often almost as small as a credit card and fit in your pocket.

Mytime & Helen & Carmen

mytime
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by mytime »

Hi All,

I have one addition to this.
I want to say first, that the D40 is a great camera (the photo's will confirm this).
But there is one thing I did not like on it, that is the lack of the motor for autofocussing Nikon (or other lenses than Nikon with a Nikon mount).
It happened that a coworker is going to Africa, he got interested in taking a D40 with him on the trip. He is a computer noob and asked me to buy one for me over the internet.
But, the D40's are sold out here.
On that I offered him my D40, I thought I will put some more money into it and buy a D90 then.
I thought he will never do that LOL, but he was interested and has bought my D40.
So I will get on a D90, this is a 2008 design Nikon consumer model, while the D40 is a 2006 design entry level model. The D90 is also mentioned as a second generation DSLR.
Beside the motor I will get some nice features which I will probably like.
-The possibility to do good photography in low light, the D90 has very good useable high iso's (iso 1600 is useable).
-Better light metering, I have had some photo's over exposured, and needed to put in corrections for that.
-Active D-Lighting, and Chromatic Aberration correction (for JPEGs), seems nice to me, gives some nice light and lens corrections I hope.
-Live view (I doubt I use it during photographing things, the viewfinder is more important.)
-The video gadget, this camera can make video, low quality. I don't really need it, I see it as a gadget.

Its that I like to have my 50 mm f1.8 to focus, and the low light /iso capacity's and that I could make a very good price for my D40 because it was still nearly new, that I decided this.
I don't want to say that the D40 is a bad camera. Its, as my photo's show, a great camera if you don't want to use lenses without a motor, and want to buy an entry level DSLR very affordable.

Mytime & Helen & Carmen

Elle
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Elle »

Hi Mytime,

I missed the thread, your photos above are excellent, i like a much the one of your avatar :thumbs_up:

Congrats for your future D90 :wink: I remember i did the same "quick change" during the 1990's years :lol: I bought a Canon Eos1000, used it for one month and was so excited by the power of a Reflex that i sold it and bought his big brother Eos 100 (still have it) :wink:

I understand your choice, manual focusing can be painfull.
I cant wait to see your next photos ;)

Cheers,
Jihan & Elle
__________________ ALL DOLLS ARE WELCOME... SUBMIT YOUR DOLL TO THE MATRIX __________________ My Website
ImageImage

mytime
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by mytime »

Hi Elle,

Its incredible how fast the 50 mm f1.8 D focusses on the 90D.
I had it arrived at my day job today.
I think this is today one of the best DX sensor size DSLR's one can buy, the bigger D300 which costs more than twice the D90 is not so much different if it comes to image quality, but the D300 is faster, nice if you need it for sports.
I like this smaller body, I'am a consumer not a pro.
Though pro's of 10 years ago would kill me for this D90 I think.
I don't know what canon had back in 1999, Nikon had only the D1, for $5000 you did get a heavy big thing that produced only 3 MP and was difficult to use.
But for that time a revolution, it seems to have been one of the first DSLR's used by newspapers, to replace the film SLR's.
First photo made with it:
And now ... learn...;).

Mytime & Helen & Carmen

mytime
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by mytime »

Hi all,

Some things I like on the D90 over the D40 are:

1) Use of all Nikon AF lenses possible due to focus motor in camera. Due to this more choice in lenses, E.g. a AF 50 mm 1.8 D (120 euro, nice lens!) works great.
2) I have to test this but due to the new 2nd generation technology I should gain one stop light and have less noise at higher iso's.
3) The better light meter (IMO on the D40 it worked bad I had often overexposure)
4)The 2 thumb wheels, one for shutter and one for apeture.
5)Bit bigger display, 3" instead of 2.5
6)Live view, though a serious photograher uses the viewfinder ;).

I believe when once used to this, its more convenient to use, its a dream.
But... keep in mind its not honest to compair the 2, the D90 is over twice as expensife as the D40. IMO and seeing the photo's I made with it, the D40 stays a very nice camera in my opinion.

Mytime & Helen & Carmen

leonus

Post by leonus »

A Nikon D40 is what I have...

In my opinion it is an awesome camera...

not top of the line, but most of what it WON'T do is a waste of money for the average amatuer i think.

All the pics I have in here were taken with that camera and the included software.

mytime
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by mytime »

Leonus,

I still agree on that.
I was only so stupid to buy a portrait lens that didn't autofocus on the D40 and that made me think. LOL, together with an oportunity to sell the D40 it made me buy the D90.
Though D40 with the 18-55 mm zoom, is the best bang for the buck, and a nice camera for us, I would never disadvice one to buy one due to that they are good and affordable, though it will soon not longer be new available.
Its light while the D90 is already a lot bigger, and sharp and easy to use, IMO the viewfinder is very nice and easy with 3 clear focus points, I need to get used to the D90 viewfinder with its 11 focus points to be honest.

Mytime & Helen & Carmen

Elle
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Elle »

mytime wrote: -The video gadget, this camera can make video, low quality. I don't really need it, I see it as a gadget.
Hi Mytime,

Seems that you've a lot of fun with your new D90 :wink:

I trust you as you said that your SLR can do some videos because i read it for the Sony alpha 100. But i don't understand how a SLR can do a video because it uses a miror quickly fliping (shutter's speed) the picture towards the CCD captor. This is ok for a single PIC but do not work for a video :wink:

Ok i could search the web for an explanation but maybe someone know the answer and wants to share it :)

Cheers,
Jihan & Elle
__________________ ALL DOLLS ARE WELCOME... SUBMIT YOUR DOLL TO THE MATRIX __________________ My Website
ImageImage

INFORMATIONS