Starpery.com

Standing bolts creating holes

Ding! POP! Crash! Thud! oops...let's get her all fixed up!
AIMD

Standing bolts creating holes

Post by AIMD »

The bolts in the feet of my companion cause holes in socks, etc., without even standing so is there a way of covering the bolts without it being permanent?
Any ideas I may present, as long as they do not infringe on prior works, are open source and may not be encumbered/patented in any manner.

Wheezer
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Re: Standing bolts creating holes

Post by Wheezer »

There are things called screw covers that are plastic bits that can cover the foot bolts.
BUT
You actually want the bolts out enough to cause holes in socks.
That means the weight of the doll is resting on the bolts and not the soft feet.
If the weight is supported by the soft feet the feet are easily damaged.

It all gets down to what is more important.
A pair of socks that cost $
Or your doll that costs $$$$

Cheers!
... W ...
Any comments, ideas or suggestions are given FREELY for your use and information. Before using, first check to ensure they are compatible with your doll or specific situation. If any tool, chemical or technique is mentioned, make sure to follow all directions and safety instructions of the product. Some tools or items can be dangerous, so be careful. Use all appropriate safety gear, don’t run with scissors and don’t eat the yellow snow. Always keep your mind open.

Mr Franz
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary

Post by Mr Franz »

Here's my solution to that problem. Insoles made from scrap vinyl flooring, placed between the foot and hosiery.

Wheezer
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Wheezer »

Nice .... I forgot that one. :( (Must be getting feeble minded)
Or I just got used to holy socks.

An alternative Is used on some early dolls was Dr. Scholl or similar insoles.
Cut then to foot shape with scissors and good to go.
If you adjust the foot bolts to a bit less then the thickness of the pad they work well.
The bolts WILL dig into the insoles, but if adjusted correctly will not punch out.

Plus gives a bit more traction and stability.

Cheers!
...W...
Any comments, ideas or suggestions are given FREELY for your use and information. Before using, first check to ensure they are compatible with your doll or specific situation. If any tool, chemical or technique is mentioned, make sure to follow all directions and safety instructions of the product. Some tools or items can be dangerous, so be careful. Use all appropriate safety gear, don’t run with scissors and don’t eat the yellow snow. Always keep your mind open.

Mr Franz
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary

Post by Mr Franz »

Yeah, I started out with regular store bought insoles. My doll stands nearly 24/7 though and they just didn't hold up. Maybe a month at best. My homemade jobs are good for a year or so.

AIMD

Post by AIMD »

Any ideas for using your suggestions in fishnet type stockings if the doll isn't standing? Is there more of a nude colour?
Any ideas I may present, as long as they do not infringe on prior works, are open source and may not be encumbered/patented in any manner.

Mr Franz
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary

Post by Mr Franz »

AIMD wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:33 am Any ideas for using your suggestions in fishnet type stockings if the doll isn't standing? Is there more of a nude colour?
I just used vinyl flooring because that's what I had on hand and that's the color it happened to be. I've used those in stockings before, but anything reasonably stiff will do, even cardboard. Regular shoe insoles you buy and trim are usually white on one side and sort of a nude color on the other. When I used those I put the white side up against the foot with the nude side showing, then whatever hosiery over top.

As far as that goes, when the doll's not standing you can just take the bolts out. Just remember to put them back in before you stand her.

Socratus
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Socratus »

AIMD wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:40 am The bolts in the feet of my companion cause holes in socks, etc., without even standing so is there a way of covering the bolts without it being permanent?
I use the plastic coverings Wheezer speaks of which are even pink. That stopped the holes in garments. Although Franz's idea is also good one and probably cost less.
I apologise for any late responses to users trying to communicate with me, as a certain Mod has decided he doesn't like how I talked in a particular post then decided to restrict me so I can post nothing without his permission. If I am banned for good, then best wishes to those I, and Aran, have met. May your futures with your dolls be good ones.

Siliconeman
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Siliconeman »

I use regular short socks under stockings/nylons, see picture below.

Sili
_Mariko_streaming_32.jpg
_Mariko_streaming_32.jpg (913.71 KiB) Viewed 312 times

makemydrink

Post by makemydrink »

Mr Franz wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:20 am
AIMD wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:33 am Any ideas for using your suggestions in fishnet type stockings if the doll isn't standing? Is there more of a nude colour?
I just used vinyl flooring because that's what I had on hand and that's the color it happened to be. I've used those in stockings before, but anything reasonably stiff will do, even cardboard. Regular shoe insoles you buy and trim are usually white on one side and sort of a nude color on the other. When I used those I put the white side up against the foot with the nude side showing, then whatever hosiery over top.

As far as that goes, when the doll's not standing you can just take the bolts out. Just remember to put them back in before you stand her.
So these standing bolts can be removed when she is Not standing, Nice! Should the bolts be adjusted where just the head of the bolt is protruding a little more than the flesh of the bottom of the foot (edges of said bolt is still inside the flesh) or where the whole head of the bolt is protruding?

Mr Franz
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary

Post by Mr Franz »

makemydrink wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 2:26 pm

So these standing bolts can be removed when she is Not standing, Nice! Should the bolts be adjusted where just the head of the bolt is protruding a little more than the flesh of the bottom of the foot (edges of said bolt is still inside the flesh) or where the whole head of the bolt is protruding?
Yeah, the bolt heads need to extend just a little beyond the sole of the foot, especially the heel bolt. That's so they alone bear the doll's weight and not the TPE. You can see it in the pic I posted earlier. The bottom of the head, where it meets the threads is just barely touching the foot.

The Doll Advocate
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by The Doll Advocate »

I actually embrace the holes.
The socks protect her feet from tears and dirt I push the socks down until the bolts poke through.
It makes the socks last a little longer forcing a hole into them vs letting one wear in .
And an 8 pk of girls socks if 6 bucks at the dollar general.

makemydrink

Post by makemydrink »

Mr Franz wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 5:45 pm
makemydrink wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 2:26 pm

Yeah, the bolt heads need to extend just a little beyond the sole of the foot, especially the heel bolt. That's so they alone bear the doll's weight and not the TPE. You can see it in the pic I posted earlier. The bottom of the head, where it meets the threads is just barely touching the foot.
If I extend the screws to where the head of the screw is a little past the sole of the foot, the bolts fall out, are they just too short or what is going on there?

Mr Franz
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary

Post by Mr Franz »

makemydrink wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:08 pm If I extend the screws to where the head of the screw is a little past the sole of the foot, the bolts fall out, are they just too short or what is going on there?
Could be. I've heard others say theirs were on the short side. Another possibility, the heel bolt is usually a little longer than the the front 2. Could be they got mixed up. As long as some part of the bolt head extends beyond the sole though, you should be okay. If not most home centers have bolts like that. Nothing all that special about them.

Davey2469
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by Davey2469 »

makemydrink wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:08 pm If I extend the screws to where the head of the screw is a little past the sole of the foot, the bolts fall out, are they just too short or what is going on there?
3 different lengths I believe so standard SS at hardware or craft places.By far sole protects of some type.
Sad I didn’t realize until a few standing that NEVER set one on your toe! I sidetracked, they tore up her sole, heel and ball because they were too deep. And since hard feet that are doable w/o bolts almost standard, i suggest yeah.
170cm C S39 Real Lady silicone Lalya Real Lady “The bOMb
Current: viewtopic.php?t=178506
First version: viewtopic.php?t=173583
Interested in IronTech? - https://www.irontechdoll.com/?sld=carycme - carycme10 for 10% off
167cm S39 ITSRS WR 60kg UltraSoft silicone

159cm E silicone Hedy Starpery - Darla
viewtopic.php?t=174942
Newer: viewtopic.php?t=179212

INFORMATIONS