Starpery.com

Dottie's Home-made Doll Stand. No Special Tools.

Got an idea? Need an invention?
Ekkehard

Post by Ekkehard »

Today I have added a technical chapter to the web site http://www.realdoll-uta.de. The first device is the described Lifting and Storage equipment. I would point out gladly also other pillars in this technology-chapter or would shortly describe in order to be able to offer an overview.

Ekkehard

Foxhole23
Doll
Doll

Post by Foxhole23 »

Dan,

I love this design and am working on one of my own. Question about the hook. How exactly is it attached to the pipe? Did you cut a hole in the pipe cap, and screw the hook into the dowel which sits behind the cap?

I am almost there!

Foxhole23

Campdaan
Ex-Member

Post by Campdaan »

Hey Foxhole..I drilled a hole in the center of the pipe-cap and used a threaded hook with nuts on both sides.. I think the hook was 3/8ths

Best of Luck..and post a completed pic on this thread.

manekineko
Server Admin Emeritus
Server Admin Emeritus

Post by manekineko »

Foxhole23 wrote:Dan,

I love this design and am working on one of my own. Question about the hook. How exactly is it attached to the pipe? Did you cut a hole in the pipe cap, and screw the hook into the dowel which sits behind the cap?

I am almost there!

Foxhole23
I was the one who used the dowel method. I wasn't able to find the threaded hook that Campdaan used, so I had to improvise.

Yes, I cut a hole through the pipe cap, put the dowel on the inside and threaded the hook from the outer side through the cap and screwed it into the dowel.

My advise for this technique is first to make sure you cut the dowel to fit the entire length of pipe at the top. You'll need at least 6 inches, more if I recall. You want it to fit snuggly at top with little play if you can. Then drill a starter hole into the dowel. If you got an oak dowel like I did it won't be possible to screw in the hook without a starter hole. Lastly, make sure you screw the hook into the dowel as far as possible, preferebly past the threading on the hook. I found that the place where the threading met the rest of the hook was a little weak, so screwing it in completely will give you better support on the hook when it bears weight.

Good luck. I look forward to hearing how it goes.
Paige and Monica: Album and Blog

Foxhole23
Doll
Doll

Post by Foxhole23 »

Thanks Daan and man! I will post pictures to this thread as soon as possible. This design is 10X better than my first home improvisition. My engineering skills need much development. We are all so lucky to have your expertise and imagination!

Nikki and DC :wink:

Foxhole23
Doll
Doll

trouble loading pictures to forum member gallery

Post by Foxhole23 »

DollForum,

We finally finished a new doll stand for Nikki. It looks a lot like the other stand on this thread and perhaps the only differences are that we used 3/4 inch pipes instead of 1 inch. Also the hook was not put in with a pipe cap. I took pictures but could only get one to upload to the doll forum member gallery. See:

At the end, I used a coverter pipe which went from 3/4 inch pipe down to 1/2 inch pipe. The hook is held in place by the bolts on the hook which will not pass through the 1/2 portion of the pipe.

I hope most of the viewers who are interested in seeing the image can log into the forum to do so. I will post more pictures if the member gallery will allow me to upload them.

Foxhole23

tabasko62
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by tabasko62 »

tabasko62 wrote:will do.
I'm no engineer for sure, but I think I can get err done :wink:
well if I've figured this picture thing right, here's what I have built. All due credit to campdaan of course, and I've modified it a bit. it's actually mounted on a solid furniture dolly, and you can see that I added an electric hoist. The cross bars are actually handlebars for steering the thing. Once the doll arrives, I'm sure I'll have to make some adjustments, including adding the back support.

manekineko
Server Admin Emeritus
Server Admin Emeritus

Re: trouble loading pictures to forum member gallery

Post by manekineko »

Foxhole23 wrote:DollForum,

We finally finished a new doll stand for Nikki. It looks a lot like the other stand on this thread and perhaps the only differences are that we used 3/4 inch pipes instead of 1 inch. Also the hook was not put in with a pipe cap. I took pictures but could only get one to upload to the doll forum member gallery. See:

At the end, I used a coverter pipe which went from 3/4 inch pipe down to 1/2 inch pipe. The hook is held in place by the bolts on the hook which will not pass through the 1/2 portion of the pipe.

I hope most of the viewers who are interested in seeing the image can log into the forum to do so. I will post more pictures if the member gallery will allow me to upload them.

Foxhole23
Nice! Very good work. :D

As you can see the image showed up just fine. I'm curious how the 3/4" pipe is holding up. Are you experiencing any flex in the pipe when you hang Nikki?

This reminds me, for anyone interested. My attempts at creating a back support like Campdaan's has been thwarted by the fact that the pipe hanger he used is now a recalled item at every home improvement store I've gone to. Even plumbing stores don't carry it. Seems that plumbers are frowning on hanging any sort of weight from pipes using these devices. I have other ideas, though, so my quest continues once I get time.

manekineko
Server Admin Emeritus
Server Admin Emeritus

Post by manekineko »

tabasko62 wrote:Image
That is so cool. Nice job! I can't weight to hear how this works with your doll.

Campdaan
Ex-Member

Post by Campdaan »

Hey Bri

I'm really liking that...Only problem I see is that if your Doll is heavier than the winch, the stand may be unbalanced...Hope I am wrong.

What it the height from the base to the Hook ?

Foxhole23
Doll
Doll

Post by Foxhole23 »

manekineko,

The 3/4 pipe worked pretty well. There was not any real flex in the pipe. I used the stand during my last photo shoot, and when I would go to adjust Nikki's stance, there would be a little bowing, but nothing which would make me suspect that the pipe might crack or something.

What I like best about the new stand is it's compactness and lighter weight. I do believe that Nikki will be the heaviest doll I ever own, and it supports her just fine. The last photo I shot of Nikki had her bending over a little (the stand not only held her, but was strong enough to help me position her as slightly bent over).

Thanks to all similar stand makers. Nikki and I are so grateful!

Foxhole23

tabasko62
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by tabasko62 »

campdaan wrote:Hey Bri

I'm really liking that...Only problem I see is that if your Doll is heavier than the winch, the stand may be unbalanced...Hope I am wrong.

What it the height from the base to the Hook ?
base to the bottom of the hook is 56 inches. I may have to increase the height a bit. Especially since she'll have some 5 inch heels.

And for weight, I did hang 57 lbs from it and added some extra force by pushing down on it. The hook at the tip gave some, but there was no imbalance felt. My biggest concern is her feet/stance. The base is only 18 wide, so I may also have to add some lateral extensions (she does like to spread em after all)

NamRepaid
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by NamRepaid »

manekineko wrote:This reminds me, for anyone interested. My attempts at creating a back support like Campdaan's has been thwarted by the fact that the pipe hanger he used is now a recalled item at every home improvement store I've gone to. Even plumbing stores don't carry it. Seems that plumbers are frowning on hanging any sort of weight from pipes using these devices. I have other ideas, though, so my quest continues once I get time.
McMasterCarr dot com I use them all the time in my work. You might have to have a business to buy there. There ment for hanging the pipe not things from the pipe. If your really stuck I've a bunch of them up to 2". You might look at conduit hangers also, not as smooth but way cheeper.

Nam

tabasko62
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by tabasko62 »

NamRepaid wrote:
manekineko wrote:This reminds me, for anyone interested. My attempts at creating a back support like Campdaan's has been thwarted by the fact that the pipe hanger he used is now a recalled item at every home improvement store I've gone to. Even plumbing stores don't carry it. Seems that plumbers are frowning on hanging any sort of weight from pipes using these devices. I have other ideas, though, so my quest continues once I get time.
McMasterCarr dot com I use them all the time in my work. You might have to have a business to buy there. There ment for hanging the pipe not things from the pipe. If your really stuck I've a bunch of them up to 2". You might look at conduit hangers also, not as smooth but way cheeper.

Nam
I found these in the electrical supply aisle of Ace hardware. Haven't tried em yet. The longer bolt will have to be replaced with even longer ones to fit around a 1" pipe, but the two halves should grip well. I was thinking of just removing the short screw in front and threading the support rod into that. It won't go in far though, so I dunno if it'll be enough.

manekineko
Server Admin Emeritus
Server Admin Emeritus

Post by manekineko »

NamRepaid wrote:McMasterCarr dot com I use them all the time in my work. You might have to have a business to buy there. There ment for hanging the pipe not things from the pipe. If your really stuck I've a bunch of them up to 2". You might look at conduit hangers also, not as smooth but way cheeper.

Nam
Whenever I talk to the help folks about it, the first thing they say is "What are you hanging from the pipes?" Interestingly, Lowes carries the 1 1/2" and 1/2" versions, just not the 1" versions.

Nam, that website is great. It looks like they have what I'm looking for. They have the split ring hangers and the threaded rod. The rest I can get from Lowes. Thanks!

Tabasko62, thanks for the thought about electrical conduit hanger. I think the problem there is that the threaded rod might not work with that. Not sure, though. It seems like a reasonable alternative.

It has occurred to me, though, that perhaps we've been over-thinking it. If I took a block of 4x4 wood, cut a groove in it for the pipe and put a cross piece with padding on the other side, I think the weight of the doll would keep it in place as a backrest. The groove would keep it in place on the pipe. Of course I'd have to remove it whenever I remove the doll from the hanger, but that actually seems like a good thing in some ways. Anyway, just a thought.

INFORMATIONS