sexyrealsexdolls.com

Follow along (and help me) as I learn how to airbrush silicone nipples

Mods, Repairs & Maintenance related specifically to not specifically listed Silicone Dolls
dparson

Follow along (and help me) as I learn how to airbrush silicone nipples

Post by dparson »

Hi all, about a year ago I got a silicone doll and have had the normal wear and tear of a torn vagina and fading body paint. Fixing these issues in TPE was straightforward but for silicone it seems much more involved, and most of the information is text rather than pictures. So I thought I'd share my journey with plenty of photos as I learn how to do this.

Previously I responded on another topic about fixing a torn vagina so I'll link that here viewtopic.php?p=2431091#p2431091
In it you'll see fixes I tried using sil-poxy and later a no-name silicone doll adhesive from a seller on Amazon. It went from an uncomfortable, scratchy repair to something that looks and feels pretty much good as new. The only complaint I have is the glue is less flexible than the doll's original silicone so I imagine it will cause another tear eventually. But so far the look and feeling of the repair is nearly perfect.

Attempt #1 was not working well
torn vagina fix 1.jpg
torn vagina fix 1.jpg (84.32 KiB) Viewed 908 times
Attempt #3 was far better
torn vagina fix.jpg
torn vagina fix.jpg (93.34 KiB) Viewed 908 times
But on to the airbrushing...

I picked up a battery-powered airbrush, some silicone pigments, a 2 part silicone paint, and some solvents for thinning the paint for use in the airbrush and for cleaning it afterward. One of the thinners is supposed to result in a matte finish as well.
tools.jpg
tools.jpg (138.33 KiB) Viewed 908 times
pigments.jpg
pigments.jpg (111.8 KiB) Viewed 908 times
paint stuff.png
paint stuff.png (1.5 MiB) Viewed 908 times
My goal is to achieve this type of coloring around the nipples.
the goal.jpg
the goal.jpg (24.89 KiB) Viewed 908 times
While researching what colors to purchase I came across http://trycolors.com I'm helpless with mixing colors so I found this site useful since it lets you set a target color and shows a match percentage on how close you have gotten by mixing different base colors together. After some experimenting I found that 2 parts yellow, 9 parts red, 5 parts blue, and 4 parts white got me a 99.2% match on the color I was shooting for. I have no idea how well this will translate into the real world but I found the exercise useful.
trycolors.com.jpg
trycolors.com.jpg (137.45 KiB) Viewed 908 times
As a first test I kept it simple by just making pink. The instructions that came with the paint said to add pigments to the part B component to achieve a desired color, then add part A and then thin the mixture for use in an airbrush. They listed some percentages to use for the paint and thinner and I ended up using 1 gram of part B, 1 gram of part A, and 4 grams of thinner. For the paint I used 1 toothpick drop of white and 1 toothpick drop of red. This produced a very watery paint that I put into the airbrush and sprayed on some paper and some scrap TPE (I later added some yellow and wiped it onto the TPE for another test). I get the impression that the paint mixture was too thin, it really soaked the paper and TPE rather than being a mist of color so I'm going to try adding less thinner next time.
on tpe.png
on tpe.png (50.64 KiB) Viewed 908 times
first spray.png
first spray.png (79.64 KiB) Viewed 908 times
The silicone paint instructions said the working time is only 20 minutes and since this was my first time doing this, I called it quits and cleaned everything with the thinner and then some distilled water. The airbrush came with 3 containers that could be used to spray liquids and I used the small metal black one for the color, the medium plastic one for the thinner, and the large plastic one for the distilled water.
cleanup.png
cleanup.png (2.69 MiB) Viewed 908 times
After about 30 minutes I checked the leftover paint and it was still very watery, so I think the 20 minute working time for the paint only applies if you do not thin it. At this point I added a little yellow to some of the left over paint to see if it would make a peach color and it sorta did (pictured on the TPE above).

That's it for now, I'll have some more updates for tomorrow. I'm wondering if the paint will become hard overnight on both the TPE and within the mixing cup. I'm also interested to see how firm it becomes. Will it be as soft as the doll's silicone or will it be closer to the silicone adhesive...we'll see!

If you have any tips or suggestions or noticed something I've done wrong, please let me know!

carbohvdrates

Re: Follow along (and help me) as I learn how to airbrush silicone nipples

Post by carbohvdrates »

I have a similar price and style airbrush kit but honestly every time I've used it on BJD projects, its kind of a splotchy nightmare instead of an even mist no matter how I clean it. Interested to see how it goes for you for sure though! Godspeed. Thanks for these threads btw, I've been quietly watching them and always it's a good read. I always love a visually well documented repair/maintenance thread.
Workshop of Work in Progress:
Too many BJDs
Ava: WM-163C (Eva Elfie)
Violet: IT-175D + WM-266

Please don't reply to my posts with doomerism, pill, or incel talking points anymore. It makes the wigs tangle.

chippyminton

Post by chippyminton »

27 bucks isn't anywhere near going to buy you a proper airbrush and compressor, and I'd be amazed if you get decent results with it. If you do - congratulations at amazing me. If not - head to your local hobby/scale model shop. A decent entry-level airbrush such as a Badger 200 will do a great job, and allow you to mist tiny, controlled amounts of paint onto the surface a little at a time. No need for a compressor at first - you can run it off aerosol propellant cans. Good luck.

dparson

Post by dparson »

Thanks carbohvdrates and chippyminton for the airbrush warnings, I'll set my expectations low for the upcoming tests since it sounds like this airbrush isn't going to work very well. As you'll see I did a test on the back of the doll's head today and noticed some splotching towards the top of the sprayed area. Is this exactly what you were warning about?

I'm happy to report the original pink paint did dry and became an extremely flexible material, somewhat like a rubber band. It didn't stick to the mixing cup and folded easily. It even stretched around the bottle of thinner and returned to its original shape with no visible damage. Again this was 1 gram of the paint part A, 1 gram of part B, 4 grams of thinner, 1 toothpick drop of white and another drop of red. It did look a little glossy in person so I can see why there's a matte version of the thinner.
it dried.jpg
it dried.jpg (128.79 KiB) Viewed 799 times
flex 1.jpg
flex 1.jpg (95.06 KiB) Viewed 799 times
flex 2.jpg
flex 2.jpg (110.19 KiB) Viewed 799 times
after the stretch.jpg
after the stretch.jpg (117.33 KiB) Viewed 799 times
With this success I mixed up some more and sprayed it onto the back of the doll's head. I made the paint thicker by only using about 3 grams of thinner but the airbrush had trouble spraying it. I saw a trick on YouTube where you add thinner to the paint inside the airbrush, then hold your finger over the nozzle and spray. This causes the air to go up into the paint mixture and agitate it, and the airbrush started spraying the thinned paint.
head test 1.jpg
head test 1.jpg (111.82 KiB) Viewed 799 times
After about 6 hours of drying I tried scratching the paint off. Initially it stuck well but once I was able to get a hard edge formed, it came off easier. I forgot to clean the area with alchohol after cleaning it with soapy water so that might have hurt the adhesion, but the instructions for the paint recommend using it within a day or two of casting the original silicone and this is 1 year old silicone, so that's probably a factor. I'll do a better job cleaning for future tests though.
scratches off.jpg
scratches off.jpg (121.63 KiB) Viewed 799 times
While waiting for this paint to dry I tried the matte thinner for the first time and found it to be extremely different than the normal stuff. There's a fine white powder within it that ends up going everywhere as you use it. When you pour the matte into a cup, the edge it runs down will quickly dry and the resulting powder will blow away with the smallest disturbance. This demonstration video showing usage of the normal and matte thinners https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqNQonhw7uM makes it look as if they behave exactly the same, but I ended up splitting my 100% matte mixture in half in order to add normal thinner for another test. I couldn't do an accurate measurement for how much matte vs normal is in the mixture since I didn't plan for it, but while working with the 100% matte mixture I got the impression that you should only use a small amount rather than making a paint composed 100% of it. The mixing cup on the left has the partial matte and partial normal thinner while the mixing cup on the right is 100% matte.
matte tests.jpg
matte tests.jpg (150.76 KiB) Viewed 799 times
As you can see the 100% matte paint became a very brittle material that cracked in the bottom of the cup as it dried. It also changed color, a much lighter pink due to all the white powder I imagine.
100 percent matte.jpg
100 percent matte.jpg (153.47 KiB) Viewed 799 times
The part matte and part normal paint was much less brittle and still remained flexible and was able to fold onto itself. It couldn't match the stretch of the 100% normal thinner paint though and ended up tearing when I tried to stretch it around the thinner bottle as I had done with the previous paint. The material didn't completely return to its original shape as well, so the matte thinner really changes the properties of the dried paint.
part matte and part normal.jpg
part matte and part normal.jpg (117.61 KiB) Viewed 799 times
it has some flexibility.jpg
it has some flexibility.jpg (131.56 KiB) Viewed 799 times
it tore.jpg
it tore.jpg (116.25 KiB) Viewed 799 times
So lots of lessons learned today. I was definitely impressed by the flexiblity of the 100% normal thinner paint and learned that you should use as little matte thinner as possible to achieve a non-glossy finish. It will take some more experiments to determine how much that is exactly. Also the paint might not stick as well as I'd hope and it makes me wonder if I could add some sil-poxy or the no-name silicone doll adhesive used for the vagina repair to the mix.

I'm going to leave the pink color on the back of the doll head for tomorrow's testing and attempt to paint over it with the nipple color. This test will mimic the faded pink areolas that the doll has right now. To my now partially trained eye I see the remaining paint looks dry and cracking...perhaps a sign that they used some matte thinner in their own paint!
current nipple state.jpg
current nipple state.jpg (166.73 KiB) Viewed 799 times

Gizmoses
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by Gizmoses »

Awesome! Love these DIY stuff. good luck.

dparson

Post by dparson »

Thanks Gizmoses, I need it!

Today was my first attempt at mixing the desired color and spraying it onto the back of the doll's head. This area was previously sprayed with a light pink color and I scraped away about half of this beforehand so I could do both a coverage test and another adhesion test. The watery paint is very translucent so I wanted to see how many layers it would take to cover the existing, faded pink color on the doll. For the adhesion test I cleaned the back of the head with alcohol this time so the paint I sprayed today on the non-painted area will have the best possible chance of sticking.
airbrushing_00.jpg
airbrushing_00.jpg (281.89 KiB) Viewed 727 times
I used the bottom of a mixing cup to create a 28mm diameter stencil since this small size would fit the test area on the back of the head pretty well. I'm also interested to see how large of a resulting circle will be produced on the back of the head.
airbrushing_0.jpg
airbrushing_0.jpg (185.64 KiB) Viewed 727 times
airbrushing_1.jpg
airbrushing_1.jpg (300.26 KiB) Viewed 727 times
airbrushing_2.jpg
airbrushing_2.jpg (172.95 KiB) Viewed 727 times
Now for the tough part, mixing the color! Unfortunately the experimenting I did on http://trycolors.com didn't translate accurately to my particular paint and pigments. I started with 1 tiny toothpick drop of white and red to make a pink color, but as I added more and more red, the tone of the paint deviated from the approximation that trycolors estimated. I had to add blue to make trycolors match what the paint was doing as red was added and very roughly, it seemed that for every 3 parts of red on trycolors, 1 part of blue had to be added to match what the paint was doing.
airbrushing_3.jpg
airbrushing_3.jpg (445.83 KiB) Viewed 727 times
airbrushing_4.jpg
airbrushing_4.jpg (373.83 KiB) Viewed 727 times
airbrushing_5.jpg
airbrushing_5.jpg (397.76 KiB) Viewed 727 times
Eventually I added so much red that the tiny drop of white I started with had to be removed from trycolors to match what I was seeing.
airbrushing_6.jpg
airbrushing_6.jpg (379.34 KiB) Viewed 727 times
At this point I gave up on using trycolors and just started adding tiny drops of white to see the result. Eventually this color appeared and it seemed close to the goal. The color is composed of only the paint, red, and white pigments.
airbrushing_7.jpg
airbrushing_7.jpg (344.79 KiB) Viewed 727 times
Here's the scale I've been using along with the final paint mixture of 1g of paint part A, 1g part B, the pigments, and roughly 3.5g of normal thinner (I'm skipping the matte thinner for this first color test). This scale turns off after a few seconds and today I figured out a process to make it easier to use: as I added paint parts and thinner I kept it alive by pressing it occasionally with my finger. This made measuring things out a lot easier. It's a very old scale and only supports 1g increments so I have to estimate a bit when creating the mixture, but it's one I had on hand and seems to be working so far.
airbrushing_8.jpg
airbrushing_8.jpg (337.68 KiB) Viewed 727 times

dparson

Post by dparson »

Here's my professional airbrushing station for the day :) I wore an N95 mask and had the bathroom vent blower running.
airbrushing_9.jpg
airbrushing_9.jpg (187.06 KiB) Viewed 723 times
I applied this first coat over the course of about 1 minute of making circular motions over the stencil. I held the stencel about 10mm from the surface and the airbrush about 30mm back from the stencil. After the application I used a heat gun in a very low heat state to help dry it for about 30 seconds.
airbrushing_10.jpg
airbrushing_10.jpg (326.76 KiB) Viewed 723 times
The second and third coats were done in the same fashion. I had trouble holding the stencil stationary and at a consistent distance from the silicone surface for the entire minute of moving the airbrush in circular motions but hopefully I will get better with practice. I think I should have used less paint for the third coat as well, it looked a little runny by the end. I probably need to do thinner coats between each drying cycle and maybe there's a point where you need to stop for the day since my paint mixture is so watery. The edge of the circle has some good parts and some bad, but hopefully I'll get better with practice.
airbrushing_11.jpg
airbrushing_11.jpg (284.39 KiB) Viewed 723 times
airbrushing_12.jpg
airbrushing_12.jpg (301.77 KiB) Viewed 723 times
Here's how much of the paint mixture is left over. So the tiny amount I've been mixing seems like it would be plenty for several dolls, I probably only used 1/5 of the original batch.
airbrushing_13.jpg
airbrushing_13.jpg (332.39 KiB) Viewed 723 times
I'll report more tomorrow!

Gizmoses
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by Gizmoses »

Love the detail your putting down in your post. So far it looks alright. Personally i prefer how it looks in airbrushing_11.jpg with less coats of paint. At least how i am seeing it in the photo on my monitor. Keep up the good work!

dparson

Post by dparson »

Thanks again Gizmoses! Pictures 11 and 12 didn't turn out so well due to the poor lighting in the bathroom but I took some better ones today. You'll see the edge where the pink color underneath stopped, about in the middle of the circle. I was trying to apply enough color to cover this up but the paint is too translucent.

The 28mm circle stencil resulted in a sprayed circle of just about the same size, so an interesting lesson learned here. I thought the sprayed circle would be a few mm larger but that wasn't the case. I was only holding the stencil 5-10mm off the surface (the airbrush was blowing it around) and tried to hold the brush as perpendicular as I could, so I may need to try holding the stencil further away to get a softer edge around it.
airbrushing_14.jpg
airbrushing_14.jpg (261.92 KiB) Viewed 662 times
The remaining paint from yesterday dried perfectly again, it's very flexible and stretchy. This picture also shows how the paint didn't cover the pink color underneath. This is going to be a problem since the doll's existing nipples have a lot of cracked pink left on them and I've been unable to remove it all.
airbrushing_15.jpg
airbrushing_15.jpg (145.63 KiB) Viewed 662 times
The adhesion test was a huge success: the paint that was sprayed onto the raw silicone could not be scraped off directly, it needed a hard edge to get it peeling. When I sprayed the pink a couple of days ago the area was only cleaned with soapy water and this allowed it to be peeled off with some effort. But before yesterday's spray everything was cleaned with alcohol and the resulting bond was impressively strong. I gave up trying to remove the paint by scraping at the edges along the raw silicone (bottom of the picture) and instead started scraping the loosely attached pink paint at the top. Without it maybe I could cut the paint at a thick spot and get it to peel, but rather than doing that I'm going to use some petroleum jelly as a release agent and see how that goes.
airbrushing_16.jpg
airbrushing_16.jpg (153.66 KiB) Viewed 662 times
airbrushing_17.jpg
airbrushing_17.jpg (165.57 KiB) Viewed 662 times
airbrushing_18.jpg
airbrushing_18.jpg (218.76 KiB) Viewed 662 times
While watching YouTube videos on how to airbrush I saw a recommendation to take apart the brush so you better know how to operate and clean it. So I took that advice and disassembled it into the main parts and looked where the cleaning tools could be used. It took me awhile to reassembly everything because I had trouble getting the orientation of the spring (denoted with red arrows) correct.
airbrushing_19.jpg
airbrushing_19.jpg (131.58 KiB) Viewed 662 times
airbrushing_20.jpg
airbrushing_20.jpg (124.38 KiB) Viewed 662 times
airbrushing_20a.jpg
airbrushing_20a.jpg (126.75 KiB) Viewed 662 times
During this I also read the manual to discover the airbrush has 3 PSI settings with a color-changing light to visually indicate each one. You turn the airbrush on/off by pressing this button for 1-2 seconds and once it's on, you can cycle through the settings by clicking the button quickly, less than 1 second for each click. I ended up using the high and low settings while practicing how to airbrush free hand later on.
airbrushing_21.jpg
airbrushing_21.jpg (46.46 KiB) Viewed 662 times

dparson

Post by dparson »

After studying "the goal" nipple some more, I decided a 35'ish mm circle stencil would be a good starting point and conveniently the lid of one of the airbrush cups was about right.
airbrushing_23.jpg
airbrushing_23.jpg (357.36 KiB) Viewed 651 times
With some extra paper and tape I made the stencil a little more rigid to prevent the airbrush from blowing it around so much. This picture also shows how the existing pink leftovers might be a problem. I'm thinking about first spraying them with a similar shade of pink to make the base color more uniform, then spray overtop with the darker pink I'm hoping to achieve.
airbrushing_24.jpg
airbrushing_24.jpg (186.02 KiB) Viewed 651 times
Today was also a good time to try recreating a previously made color. I brought up the forum pictures from yesterday and think the recreation was okay. I also added more red and white than yesterday to see if the additional pigments will make the paint less translucent. However, you'll see I forgot to try spraying overtop of anything pink so unfortunately I'll have to revisit this in the future :?
airbrushing_26.jpg
airbrushing_26.jpg (304.88 KiB) Viewed 651 times
For the paint I added some matte thinner to see how it would spray and to start determining how much is needed. Today's mixture is 1g matte and 2g normal thinner, along with 1g of part A and 1g of partB for the paint. To help prevent all the white dust from the matte thinner from going everywhere, I used the pipette that came with the airbrush to measure it out rather than pouring it like I did the other day. It still went everywhere when I opened the bottle though, there's dust all over the bottle's threads.
airbrushing_27.jpg
airbrushing_27.jpg (258.69 KiB) Viewed 651 times
I rubbed a small amount of petroleum jelly on the back of the head to act as a release agent. I spread it with my finger and it became very smooth and not visibly noticeable. I'm interested to see if it affects the paint's texture.
airbrushing_27a.jpg
airbrushing_27a.jpg (208.23 KiB) Viewed 651 times
Here's my very first freehand airbrushing practice. I saw a YouTuber recommend trying to do lines, dots, and create shaded areas. I experimented with how far I kept the airbrush from the paper along with the different pressure settings. I also tried filling in circles of various sizes but the lighing in my bathroom is so bad that it's hard to see where the cone of paint is hitting. To make smooth gradations you're supposed to overlap each paint stroke by about 50% and it's extra tough since I can't see it, but I'll keep practicing and hopefully get better. Maybe the cheap airbrush makes it difficult as well.
airbrushing_31.jpg
airbrushing_31.jpg (252.82 KiB) Viewed 649 times
After all the practicing I used the new 35mm stencil on the back of the head. The first coat went on well but the second coat had some splattering. I didn't notice this when practicing on the paper and wonder if the paint needs to be stirred from time to time when using the matte thinner. I've noticed the particles inside it quickly settle and at this point, it hadn't been stirred for 20-30 minutes. I'm pretty happy with the smoothness of the edge though, the more rigid stencil helped keep the distance between it and the head more stable. I held the stencil a consistent 10mm from the head and it seemed to help soften the edge more than when I held the previous, less rigid stencil at roughly 5-10mm (it was blowing around from the airbrush and wasn't very consistent). Still though, to better match "the goal" picture I think I'll need to hold the stencil further away to obtain a softer edge.
airbrushing_28.jpg
airbrushing_28.jpg (218.94 KiB) Viewed 651 times
airbrushing_29.jpg
airbrushing_29.jpg (149.1 KiB) Viewed 632 times
So tomorrow we'll see if this 1 part matte to 2 parts normal thinner results in a matte finish and if the release agent works. If anyone has suggestions on how to cover the existing pink in the nipples, I'd love for any recommendations. Should I first spray them with a matching light pink to create a uniform base color or continue the idea of adding more pigments to the paint mixture to make it less translucent?

Gizmoses
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by Gizmoses »

I would put down a base coat of the dolls skin color then paint your areola color on that so it's all uniform.

dparson

Post by dparson »

Thanks for the suggestion Gizmoses, I took your advice and gave it a shot today! Lots of lessons were learned and I'll see if I can do better tomorrow.

Here's how the 1g of matte to 2g of normal thinner turned out. I'm wondering if the matte particles in the paint mixture settled while spraying because the first layer sprayed well and resulted in a nicely matte finish, but the second layer (that's more concentrated in the middle) ended up being glossy and didn't spray as smoothly. Next time I spray matte I'll agitate the paint every few minutes with the backflow technique (hold finger over end and pull trigger back slowly). I've done this a few times and it works well; there's enough control to prevent causing the paint to splash out.

The petroleum jelly worked perfectly as a release agent. I don't think it caused any difference to the resulting texture of the paint but you can see it had some lint in it.
airbrushing_34.jpg
airbrushing_34.jpg (172.75 KiB) Viewed 556 times
Here's the head all cleaned up again and the matted paint mixture from yesterday. The upper part of the mixture became glossy as the matte particles settled within it overnight.
airbrushing_35.jpg
airbrushing_35.jpg (166.65 KiB) Viewed 556 times
Just like last time, it didn't flex as much as paint made with normal thinner and you can see how it cracked as it was folded and stretched. It also doesn't fully return to it's original shape after stretching, it ends up with wrinkles. I'm going to use less of the matte thinner next time, something like 0.5g matte with 2.5g normal.
airbrushing_36.jpg
airbrushing_36.jpg (344.21 KiB) Viewed 556 times
airbrushing_37.jpg
airbrushing_37.jpg (348.27 KiB) Viewed 556 times
After some googling and experimenting with trycolors, I eventually was able to recreate the doll's base color. I only used white, red, and yellow though I added 1 part of blue in trycolors since that ends up happening in real life as red is added.
airbrushing_38.jpg
airbrushing_38.jpg (284.91 KiB) Viewed 556 times
Here's all the tools and products being used while I did the airbrushing: a heat gun, face shield and N95 mask, petrolum jelly, empty 2-liter bottle with paper towels in it to act as a poor-man's airbrush cleaning pot, the paint, some thinner and pipette to rinse out the airbrush when complete, and the airbrush itself. I'm using my bathroom's exhaust vent and also improved the lighting by bringing in a couple of bright flashlights and shinning them at the ceiling. The reflections helped to even out the light and I could see a little better this time.
airbrushing_39.jpg
airbrushing_39.jpg (296.65 KiB) Viewed 556 times
I only worked on the right nipple today and put on a coat of petrolum jelly. I covered the entire chest so no overspray will stick in case I mess something up.
airbrushing_40.jpg
airbrushing_40.jpg (205.1 KiB) Viewed 556 times
And here's the problem I encountered: the paint was too translucent to provide any coverage. You can see it's barely noticable on the white paper but on the doll itself, I couldn't see much of a difference. I added 4 layers before it started to become runny so tomorrow I'm going to add more pigment in the same ratios to the paint mixture. I'll bring a drop of paint up along the side of the mixing cup and watch it run down to help determine how translucent it is. Hopefully I can make the paint less translucent but I know there's a limit to how much pigment can be added before it interferes with the drying process. I'm wondering if I'll have to find what this point is exactly since I need a much more opaque mixture. But who knows, maybe it will look better when it's dry tomorrow, we'll see!
airbrushing_41.png
airbrushing_41.png (1.01 MiB) Viewed 556 times

Gizmoses
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by Gizmoses »

I wonder if you might get a better result doing many thin layers over time with letting each layer cure. So avoid getting that glossy look. Just a thought. I also remember an interview with a doll maker and when asked about painting he was coy and smirked while saying something about layering is the key then said he can't say more as it's a trade secret. COuld have been makeup and not paint though, I don't recall exactly.

As far as the opaqueness wonder if that's just the nature of silicone. And unless your using extreme color density, your going to have some depth of translucency to it no matter what.

Maybe a dumb idea, but i wonder if you used a light application of makeup on the areola and nipples first, then sprayed on top of that. I wonder if it would give more depth to the color and solve your translucency problem. But the question is if that will affect how well the paint sticks.

Your after shot still looks massively better with the skin tone paint. I would be happy with that result I think. And probably good enough to hide the damage once the pink color goes on.

dparson

Post by dparson »

Thanks for that Gizmoses, I'm definitely finding matte a tricky thing to get right and maybe thinner layering is a key step. I tried to test this by doing a thin layer today and letting it dry for 3 hours, then adding another layer. I think I went too thick again though; it's hard to judge after the initial application because it appears glossy when wet and I haven't figured out how much time it takes to start going into the matte state. But looking at the airbrushing_29 picture, even though the paint was done that day, there were hints of matte along the edges and it pretty much stayed the same until the next day in airbrushing_34. So maybe I just need to keep going with even lighter coats and if it ever appears glossy during airbrushing, I've gone too far.

I'd hesitate to apply anything but this paint to the silicone based on how little anything seems to stick. When I did the first adhesion test on the back of the doll's head and only used soapy water to clean it, the paint didn't stick well. So if I go overtop a layer of makeup I imagine it will be even worse.

Look how small the matte paint on the left shrunk compared to the glossy on the right. Both were mixed and let dry in mixing cups with the same diameter. So besides being more brittle, matte thinner also makes the paint shrink [edit from the future, discovered that adding any thinner to the silicone will make it shrink no matter if it's matte or not...see tomorrow's post]. This probably won't happen when it's attached to silicone (it wasn't attached to anything since it dried in the mixing cup), but maybe the matte paint has some internal stresses after it dries on the silicone.
airbrushing_42.jpg
airbrushing_42.jpg (221.26 KiB) Viewed 494 times
Here's what it looks like mixing a color. I'm using maybe 4 times as much pigment as was done with the initial tests since I'm trying to make the paint less translucent. Using more pigment has made an improvement to the coverage and I'm going to continue increasing how much is used in future mixes. This is also what 1g of part B looks like. You create the color you want and then add 1g of part A, mix, then add 3-4g of thinner. The airbrush I'm using needs the paint to be thin enough to drip off the mixing stick with very quick, small drops; if there is any long streaming of the paint off the mixing stick, it's too thick and will clog the airbrush or cause it to splatter rather than spray a fine mist of color.
airbrushing_43.png
airbrushing_43.png (1.54 MiB) Viewed 494 times
My plan for today was to spray the nipple that had been painted with the coverup color and let it dry for at least 1 hour, then spray it again with the goal color. I completely messed up the coloring though, it was far too light for what I wanted so I decided to add some red and try it on the non-covered-up nipple. I messed up this color as well and added too much red in the heat of the moment :? I still went with it and by the end of the day I had used 3 different colors.
airbrushing_44.jpg
airbrushing_44.jpg (412.42 KiB) Viewed 494 times
Top picture is the initial state after the glossy cover-up color dried overnight and below is after the too-light of pink (and matte) color was added. The coverup helped some but also the pink color is close to what the doll original had. The pink doesn't look matte either so maybe I went too thick again and/or I need to use a higher ratio of matte thinner.
airbrushing_45.png
airbrushing_45.png (468.29 KiB) Viewed 494 times
Here's the other nipple with the top picture being the initial state with just the dried petroleum jelly, middle is the too-redish pink that was let dry for 3 hours, and bottom is the second layer of paint. The matte finish is starting to appear around the edges as it's drying right now but the middle is looking glossy again. So maybe the same situation as the other nipple, too thick of matte paint and/or too little of the matte thinner. The color is more red than I was going for but it did a good job of covering the lighter pink underneath...at least on the top and sides. There's a large chunk of the lighter pink on the bottom and it's showning through the color unfortunately. Maybe a third coat will help and this will be in the game plan for tomorrow. There's also a large paint splatter on the left side. I noticed the paint starting to splatter towards the end of the session as it got thicker, so again I need to learn to recognize this and add thinner when it happens.

One other difference with this one, I didn't use the stencil on it, it's freehand. I made it a bit larger than my goal but it was good practice. I'm going to try using the stencil to create a light dusting of color, then remove it and do the rest freehand. It seems like going freehand makes it easier to create a smooth gradation of color along the edge.
airbrushing_46.png
airbrushing_46.png (342.08 KiB) Viewed 494 times
For another quick test I tried shading the thumbnail slightly. It was easy to spray and wipe off, and try again. I wiped it off before drying and will revisit this in the future.
airbrushing_47.jpg
airbrushing_47.jpg (173.54 KiB) Viewed 494 times
During all the painting today the airbrush got good and clogged. This is the first time it couldn't be cleared quickly so I did a full teardown and even some troubleshooting. I initially started with a toothpick but it took every tool the airbrush came with to get the dried paint out: from the small diameter wires to the thicker ones, and the smaller brushes to the larger ones, I needed them all.
airbrushing_48.jpg
airbrushing_48.jpg (450.78 KiB) Viewed 494 times
airbrushing_48a.jpg
airbrushing_48a.jpg (287.72 KiB) Viewed 494 times
When I reassembled everything the airbrush wasn't working correctly, there was air blowing up into the paint cup. I eventually discovered an important o-ring had come off and am pointing at it with the toothpick. This o-ring is on the end of the "needle cap" and creates a seal against the airbrushes' main body. If it's not present the high pressure air goes out through the "nozzle cap" a little, but it mainly goes up into the paint!

During the troubleshooting I also discovered this brass screw buried inside the airbrush and it was removable with a flat head screwdriver. It feels like it presses against another o-ring that I can't see but assume it's there based on the research I did when creating this drawing. This airbrush is unlike typical ones so I made this drawing to help share the knowledge. I didn't include the trigger mechanism since it matches how other airbrushes are setup and it simply moves the needle forward and back.
airbrushing_49.jpg
airbrushing_49.jpg (254.18 KiB) Viewed 494 times
airbrushing_50.png
airbrushing_50.png (21.13 KiB) Viewed 494 times
Based on all this, the plan for tomorrow is remove all paint from the light-pink nipple and try to add a few EXTREMELY LIGHT layers of the correct pink color and hopefully see a matte finish by the end. I'll go back to the 1g matte thinner to 2g normal ratio as well to help improve the chances of obtaining the matte look. For the other nipple I'm going to add more pink layers to see if the doll's original light pink will eventually be covered up. One challenge is having to mix new paint every couple of hours and getting them to match. If I make a batch, spray it, then wait 1 hour; I think I'll be able to use it again if I add a little thinner. But I think I'll need to mix another batch for the third hour and layer, so I've got to get better at color matching. After every layer I'll spray thinner through the airbrush and then remove the nozzle cap and needle cap to completely clean the front of the airbrush...another important lesson learned.

Justinpassinthru
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by Justinpassinthru »

I have been looking for information like this since I graduated from TPE to silicone. As you said, the community had more or less settled on how to repaint TPE dolls, but silicone has become much more popular, where there is far less information on DIY techniques and maintenance. This is suprisingly sophisticated compared to the relatively simple Eye Shadow/ Mineral Oil combo. I appreciate your insights and experimentation.

My main takeaway is that I'll simply buy a new doll when it comes time to repaint her. :haha4:

INFORMATIONS