Coverdoll
www.realdoll.com
Coverdoll

Ordering Dolls without finger wires

Mods, Repairs & Maintenance related specifically to RealDoll, including RealDoll2, Wicked RealDoll and BoyToy

Moderator: TJ_Foxx

BigLooser
Ex-Member

Ordering Dolls without finger wires

Post by BigLooser »

I'm seriously thinking of ordering my Realdoll without the finger wires. I would really like posable hands, but Abyss has apparently had trouble solving this problem. Could someone describe what the hands look like without the wires. Are the fingers ackwardly spread apart. I can pretty much assume that they will tremble madly with every slight movement (which sucks). I guess anything beats them being ripped to shit. Zarnon (or anyone else), do you happen to have a pic of your doll w/o wires, so I can see how the hand looks at rest ? Thanks!!

technoguy
Ex-Member

Post by technoguy »

Bigloser...

I've seen photos of the dolls without the finger wires and they look fine to me. Of course, the person taking the photos probably carefully posed the fingers prior to taking the photo.

I suspect that the fingers will, without the wires, tend to naturally assume the position that they were cast in. Of course, if you intend to do doll photography, then finger wires can make the hands assume other natural looking positions and even hold various items.

It is claimed that the new "improved" end caps on the RD finger wires now make poke through far less likely so you probably do not have to be concerned about this issue anymore.

technoguy

Campdaan
Ex-Member

Post by Campdaan »

technoguy wrote:It is claimed that the new "improved" end caps on the RD finger wires now make poke through far less likely so you probably do not have to be concerned about this issue anymore.
I'm kinda in the middle on the end caps. Stephi was 4 years old and had no end caps on the wires and never had a single poke thru....ever.

Dottie on the other hand, Was the first Realdoll to receive the endcaps and she has poke-throughs on every finger... The reason being it was all how she was handled by her previous owner.

I think the end-caps are self defeating in a way. Yes, They provide an alternative to having a sharp wire to poke through, BUT...Since the finger is so small in diameter the endcap takes up the space of where there should be thicker silicone.

I think that if you handle a doll in the same way that causes finger pokes to happen in a doll without wires you may be gluing on entire fingers...

Just my thoughts... Best of Luck with your doll, I'm sure she will be Beautiful.

Incrediwagon
Ex-Member

Post by Incrediwagon »

I think the end-caps are self defeating in a way. Yes, They provide an alternative to having a sharp wire to poke through, BUT...Since the finger is so small in diameter the endcap takes up the space of where there should be thicker silicone.
Hi Camp, I think they put the furrel on after they take the doll out of the mold. If you look at the end of the finger you will see either a hole or they may plug it with silicone. I have both on my dolls. the older one has plastic caps and plugged. The new one has a metal furrel crimped on and no plug, although Slade may not have filled them. Another thing, they need to file the wire past the ferrel. the wire is sharp and will snag anything.

Bill
Forum Founder
Forum Founder

Post by Bill »

BigLooser,

I've ordered some Realdolls without finger wires because they are more trouble then they are worth for sleeping and play but they are good for photography and I have a Realdoll for that but I don't sleep with her. The fingers get all twisted and look mangled with the wires during play.

Go WITHOUT wires would be my suggestion because most of us are amateur photographers at best and the fingers can still be placed for photos

BigLooser
Ex-Member

Post by BigLooser »

Yup.. I guess I'm going the no wire route. I don't want to have to constantly be worrying about them. Thx.

Euchre
Ex-Member

Post by Euchre »

I'm in an odd area in this regard. Samantha has the finger wires but all but the thumb wires broke loose from the palm. There is no damage to the silicone at the palm at all and I have no idea how it happened as she shipped like this from her previous owner. The wires are still in there and I do get pokes every now and then, but the fingers just flop around. I kinda like it because it gives me the ability to put her fingers in a more natural looking pose when doing a shoot.

Euch
I was a bad boy at TDF and got ex-membered.

Zarnon
Former Member

Post by Zarnon »

The hands look identical but to me they seem more 'natural' without the fingerwires. They certainly much harder to tear. Over a year and no tears on the fingers at all! Yay!

My B2 I'm also ordering without fingerwires.

Sorry I don't have a photo handy.
Fall down 7 times, get up 8.

Miss_San_Diego
Former Member

Post by Miss_San_Diego »

As most most members here know I do not have a doll yet however I have managed to get hold of a a fleshlight silicone which I believe is not quite the same as the doll grade

I have conducted an experiment I have attached a little bit of Blue tack to the silicone and it appears to stick and I also found it peals of quite easy to maybe this can be an awnser to pose the fingers without wires when taking photos

Other299

Re: Ordering Dolls without finger wires

Post by Other299 »

Just an idea: I managed to break two fingers a couple years ago and I had to wear metal folding caps over them. They just slipped on and off. I think you can buy them at any drug store... kinda like splints. I think I'll put them on my Jessica whenever I move her and be ever so careful while posing her. I'm hoping to keep her perfect as long as possible.

Gabrielle1
Doll
Doll

Post by Gabrielle1 »

I was made in July of 2009, and have not had one finger poke... but then Phil is very careful with me, and we seldom sleep together. Having posable fingers has been a big plus for picture taking, and since there is little chance of a poke happening during the night, having the wires has been a good thing..... (hic)

AirDollPlushDoll
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by AirDollPlushDoll »

I seen a rather new doll with face g. with almost every finger poked and it had the wire caps on the ends. the newer way. I have already decided that when I get my real doll. I will not be getting wires if they cant fix this. to many super super expensive dolls all with the same problem. it would be like if every ford explorer the shocks would not work. I have seen so many with this problem from friends who have real doll or on the forum. I have a teddy babe deluxe now. there is no maintenance. or being carefull. she is durable. and for 6500 when I get my face 14 real doll. no way will I get finger wires. but to each their own. but I sleep with my girl every never. so my real doll will be used a lot also. so I think no wires also.
my dream has come true. I finally got a silicone doll. a ruby 13. her name is destiny angel. aka princess destiny.

AlexKnight
Senior Admin
Senior Admin

Post by AlexKnight »

Silicone dolls can't be compared to plush dolls, the material is completely different. Plush is very forgiving, silicone much less.

Also, it doesn't happen with every doll, which my poll shows, it depends mostly on how owners handle their doll. My Wicked doll is almost 2 years old, but hasn't had a single finger poke, but countless moments where one could have happened when the fingertip bent back on the wire while posing her upper arm, with her hand resting on her body somewhere. When I see this happening, I immediately stop, and correct it.

If you don't slow down while driving across a speed bump, the shocks will eventually break.

But if you never want to pose her hands to hold something, then yes, get a doll without finger wires, as that is their only purpose.
Check out Kayla's Christmas dress by clicking here. - December 17, 2015
or have a look at Ashley's Coverdoll release by clicking here - June 13, 2015

A must-see video on Realdoll softness! Click here!

Here's my Doll Album, with pictures of Jenna*, Melissa*, Kayla & Ashley, and some other things: Doll Album Gallery
*I no longer have Jenna or Melissa.

AirDollPlushDoll
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by AirDollPlushDoll »

yes I understand they are different. etc. I have ur3 jenna jameson 200 dollar toy and fleshlights. yes it is not the same as a real doll but they take care. on how it is stored. cleaned. powder etc. I am sure if you are real carefull and I didn't know they made them without. I thought if I get one. I will put her hands in a pose and never bend the fingers. just like them slightly bent in a natural look. etc.
my dream has come true. I finally got a silicone doll. a ruby 13. her name is destiny angel. aka princess destiny.

toastman
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by toastman »

I remember seeing or reading something from Matt himself, saying that they have new poseable finger "click click" mechanism to replace the wires, with the help of some German engineering. What happened to that then? I assumed this would be standard in RD2, no?

INFORMATIONS