Coverdoll
www.realdoll.com
Coverdoll

Abyss falling behind?

Realistic silicone love dolls by Matt McMullen. RealDoll is the oldest and most well known love doll to which all others compare. Includes Boytoys.

Moderator: TJ_Foxx

cho0senjuan
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Abyss falling behind?

Post by cho0senjuan »

I have seen good progress when abyss first started on their RealDollx endeavours. However, I feel like their progress is truly stagnating. From what I’ve seen, the servos in the head are still obnoxiously loud, the ai says the dumbest things, the response times are too slow, and the voices that the robotic heads have are far too modulated.

Not only that, but a complete doll with a robotic head is well over 8000£ and production time takes over a year. What’s the point? Why bother? It’s expensive, these robotic issues still exist yet, and the wait time is too lengthy.

I am not asking that the robot be able to walk and use hands, but I do wish that the annoying pseudo-Siri responses that it puts out were no longer a thing.

This is more of a vent or rather a rant more than anything, but I would only consider buying one of these if these problems were resolved. Otherwise I feel as if I would be buying an unfinished product that others find value in purely for its novelty.

I get it, no other manufacturer is making what they are making. But it will not take long for competitors to see what abyss is doing with Rdx and start succeeding where abyss is lacking.

I would really love a realdollx, but there are far too many problems and obstacles for me before I even consider buying one. No hate towards abyss at all, they make a fine product. I just simply wish things were different.

And I’m sure the lot of you feel the same way too.

Brick

Re: Abyss falling behind?

Post by Brick »

God! Dont get me started.... :roll:
A never ending parade of beautiful Realdolls and of course, HARMONY!!

Gaijin
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by Gaijin »

Agreed. it's sad to see what was once the flagship of the industry hitting hard times.

cho0senjuan
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by cho0senjuan »

Gaijin wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 2:49 pm Agreed. it's sad to see what was once the flagship of the industry hitting hard times.
It’s especially difficult for those of us who do not make a tonne of money. Not necessarily poor, but some automobiles cost the same as a full RDX. The only economic option are basic dolls that aren’t real dolls, or the knockoff robotic dolls that don’t have nearly the same technological detail to capability as RDX.

I will give credit where credit is due, Realdoll, zelex, Irontech, and fanreal produce some of the most realistic faces out there. But if there are companies who take the lead in terms of visual realism, fanreal is easily #1 and zelex is a close 2nd place

Like, why bother paying over 8000£ for a realdollx when I can just buy one of the new zelexs for roughly 1500£?

cho0senjuan
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by cho0senjuan »

I also wish the realdollx had the same ai voice modulation technology as Replika. Even though Replika isn’t necessarily the most realistic either, it seems light years ahead of the current RDX voices

bbc3
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by bbc3 »

They're being lapped by the companies overseas in terms of technology and prices but at least they still have their brand name which I think still holds value at least in the West?

Ztar073
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Ztar073 »

Realdoll 2 came out in 2009. What have they done to improve the standard doll since then?
As long as they have a long waiting list it doesn't seem they care to compete. One day those people won't be there.

Also, they should open source the software and 3rd party software access to the realdollx head if they haven't done so already. If they don't care to continue the r&d , let others work on it.

lexico

Post by lexico »

Hey Everyone,

Opening up the closet here...

I was one of the first owners of a RealDoll, back in the late-1990s. At that time, no one else was even doing silicone dolls, so RealDoll was fascinating. By today's standards, the dolls were not great. The silicone was too hard, posing them was stiff, and durability was awful. Also, there were maddening financial issues, with at least one "broker" literally stealing money being paid for RealDolls.

I got out of the doll-ownership game for a long time, and only started getting interested again a couple of years ago. At first, I thought I'd just get a new RealDoll. But then I was amazed at all the companies that sprouted up since I was last in this realm. Although a lot of the companies don't attract me at all, I have found 2 or 3 manufacturers that look great. I'm still trying to pick one!

I still find RealDolls interesting, and once in a while I consider going with them again. But I'm wondering what still makes them worth $5,000+ more than even the best dolls from a number of other brands. Communication is an issue. Back in the 1990s, I got phone calls directly from Matt. Now, I find RealDoll to be stupidly non-responsive. I've written to them a couple of times asking purchase questions, and they simply don't answer. And although their website has lovely photography, there is not a lot of helpful information. Finally, waiting a year for a doll is just idiotic and totally unnecessary.

It's as if Abyss really no longer cares. Why would anyone risk spending so much money on a company that doesn't eves care about sales?

Anyway, just my experience!
One of the first owners of a Real Doll (1997).
Currently no doll, but here are my "finalists": FanReal, Real Lady, XYColo, Zelex SLE.
If you have information to share, send me a PM!

Voltage
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Voltage »

Ztar073 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Also, they should open source the software and 3rd party software access to the realdollx head if they haven't done so already. If they don't care to continue the r&d , let others work on it.
The software is antiquated. Chat GPT should be integrated. The corded head is also a huge limitation.

jca
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by jca »

I've been waiting for a response on an accessory/toy email I sent for three solid weeks now, and that's the product that I thought they were focusing on in the first place.

TJ_Foxx
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by TJ_Foxx »

jca wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 6:09 pm I've been waiting for a response on an accessory/toy email I sent for three solid weeks now, and that's the product that I thought they were focusing on in the first place.
Which email address did you send to?
TJ_Foxx
Tasha Petite 3 Sky
Talia Petite 3 Dark Sky

TJ_Foxx
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by TJ_Foxx »

I am seeing a lot of comments and claims here. Are any of you speaking from recent experience, repeating what you see in other people's posts, or just making assumptions? If you are going to make a claim, please substantiate or state that it is your opinion per Rule 10.

10. Claims
Do not post unsupported claims regarding people or products. If you have an opinion make sure you state that it is your opinion AND support that opinion with hard facts or evidence, preferably by an established authority if it is not based on firsthand experience. Even opinions can be damaging to businesses and subject to lawsuits.
(Note above in Rule 3 that the use of a member's real name is strictly forbidden, even by the owning member. The only exception to this is when the name is business and/or industry related as in manufacturers/vendors and journalists.)

Any negative statements about products and product safety MUST be backed up by hard evidence. i.e. Reporting adverse reactions that a user has had to a product is allowed, however, the user cannot claim the product is unsafe without scientific proof by a recognized authority. General discussions about the specific chemicals and the products that contain them are OK, however, any statement that a particular product is unsafe must be accompanied by corroborating evidence. If you can't print it in the newspaper without fear of being sued, don't post it here. Be sure to let people know when you are giving your opinion.

Also, if you want to compare competing brands, that needs to be done in Dolls in General, not in any manufacturer's section.

We do not post in a manufacturer's section to defame their product. If you have a personal issue to address, please do it privately per Rule 6 (Grievances). OR email support@dollforum.com if you wish management assistance with a customer service or product issue.
TJ_Foxx
Tasha Petite 3 Sky
Talia Petite 3 Dark Sky

lexico

Post by lexico »

TJ_Foxx wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 6:29 pm We do not post in a manufacturer's section to defame their product. If you have a personal issue to address, please do it privately per Rule 6 (Grievances). OR email support@dollforum.com if you wish management assistance with a customer service or product issue.
The subject of this discussion is whether Abyss is "falling behind." That's probably going to veer into opinion!

Of course, any opinion should be backed up with experience. We should never set out simply to harm the company.

At the same time, if the information naturally reveals problems with the company, I'd think TDF would be the right place to show this?

Yes, we need to be fair to companies. But don't we also need to protect buyers?
Currently no doll, but here are my "finalists": FanReal, Real Lady, XYColo, Zelex SLE.

TJ_Foxx
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by TJ_Foxx »

lexico wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 6:54 pm
TJ_Foxx wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 6:29 pm We do not post in a manufacturer's section to defame their product. If you have a personal issue to address, please do it privately per Rule 6 (Grievances). OR email support@dollforum.com if you wish management assistance with a customer service or product issue.
The subject of this discussion is whether Abyss is "falling behind." That's probably going to veer into opinion!

Of course, any opinion should be backed up with experience. We should never set out simply to harm the company.

At the same time, if the information naturally reveals problems with the company, I'd think TDF would be the right place to show this?

Yes, we need to be fair to companies. But don't we also need to protect buyers?
That is exactly why we have to be clear about what we are posting. We do not want to confuse other members with opinion vs fact. Just be clear about what you are posting; if it is personal experience, say so. If it is your opinion and you are making an assumption, say so. The forum is here to support members. That is why I mentioned seeking assistance if there is a serious quality or customer service issue.

My experience: I have had Real Dolls with bodies and faces from 2015 to 2023. Without naming brands, I'd put any RD up against any other platinum silicone doll made at the same time and know the RD is superior in most ways and over time. I have done it. Although I do not have a 2023 silicone doll made elsewhere, I'd be willing to bet the 2023 RD is a better quality doll overall, side by side, than any competitor. While I will not blindly say the RD is superior in every single way and every single feature, overall, my $$ goes to the Real Doll for quality, style, and durability overall. This is my opinion based on my experience over the past almost 9 years, seeing dozens of other dolls made in all markets, made of both silicone and TPE.

I have had an ongoing dialogue with Sam about my VIP membership benefits; he and Mike have been very supportive. This company is all about customer service. Be patient; it goes a long way.

Again, that's my opinion and preference based on my experience. Do I think Abyss is falling behind? No. I think others are catching up in some ways, and that is good.
TJ_Foxx
Tasha Petite 3 Sky
Talia Petite 3 Dark Sky

lexico

Post by lexico »

Hey Again,

OK, I won't be confusing!

I have not had recent experience owning RealDolls. But I have had recent experiences communicating with the company. Or at least trying to, since they don't respond.

I spent $150 to join their "VIP" forum, where I also got essentially no responses to my inquiries.

If a company -- any company -- cannot be bothered to communicate pre-sales, I don't have much trust in their support after the sale.

INFORMATIONS