Starpery.com

Fingers, Hip and Feet repair help

Ding! POP! Crash! Thud! oops...let's get her all fixed up!
Bella_aNNa
Basic Poster
Basic Poster

Fingers, Hip and Feet repair help

Post by Bella_aNNa »

Hey all,
- Need advice on repairing fingers that are loose in the joints.
- One of the hip joints are loose, hopefully a loose nut that needs tightening.
- Repair soles that have cracked because I removed the bolts. (in order to have a better footjob experience)

I have tried various types of super glue, tpe glue, silicone, siliconeglue with little luck.
Even tried the soldering iron, , which worked fine until they broke (plural) 8O

I am afraid to do the hip surgery due to my negative experience with skin repair.

All tips and tricks are most welcome

Thanks

Bella_aNNa :angel:

Wheezer
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Re: Fingers, Hip and Feet repair help

Post by Wheezer »

Sorry to hear about the problems.
When you get to 5 posts, please post some images of your doll and the damages.

Also knowing the doll type (TPE or silicone), its age and where you got it will help.

Cheers!
... W ...
Any comments, ideas or suggestions are given FREELY for your use and information. Before using, first check to ensure they are compatible with your doll or specific situation. If any tool, chemical or technique is mentioned, make sure to follow all directions and safety instructions of the product. Some tools or items can be dangerous, so be careful. Use all appropriate safety gear, don’t run with scissors and don’t eat the yellow snow. Always keep your mind open.

Bella_aNNa
Basic Poster
Basic Poster

Post by Bella_aNNa »

Wheezer wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 11:46 pm Sorry to hear about the problems.
When you get to 5 posts, please post some images of your doll and the damages.

Also knowing the doll type (TPE or silicone), its age and where you got it will help.

Cheers!
... W ...
Thanks,
Doll type is TPE.
Closing in on a year old now.
Last edited by jiayi on Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Removed reverence to non-tdf man/vendor

Bella_aNNa
Basic Poster
Basic Poster

Post by Bella_aNNa »

In my latest "failure" pieces of a pocketpussy was heated up on kitchen stove and poured over the big rifts that are under the "repair"
The right foot is "okay" but the left foot is coming apart. I also accidentaly got acetone on the topside.. :roll:
20231113_182448.jpg
20231113_182448.jpg (1.15 MiB) Viewed 922 times
20231113_182356.jpg
20231113_182356.jpg (1.22 MiB) Viewed 922 times
20231113_182308.jpg
20231113_182308.jpg (1.88 MiB) Viewed 922 times
:lilangel:
Bella_aNNa

seagull
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by seagull »

Wow! Acetone n TPE, really bad combo
Also there have been numerous posts of TPE glue being solvent whereas the gurus on this site have extensively used the readily available 3M 94 Primer

Khaossinua

Post by Khaossinua »

OMG! This is a very, very bad repair, who taught you to do this? 😞

I would cut everything down to TPE and redo it again, buying donor material. Nothing else comes to mind.

From above it’s not so scary, you need to apply Johnson’s Baby oil to the affected areas, let it absorb, and treat with baby powder. And only then begin repair work. Moreover, you need to be a jeweler, not a woodcutter.

Starfax
Basic Poster
Basic Poster

Post by Starfax »

Oh yikes, yes definitely redo that one. The material melted onto the feet will flake of constantly too if you need another reason to redo.

Wheezer
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Wheezer »

Well all I can say is that the results so far look ...er... "interesting".
The images of the damage is quite graphic and disturbing.
I will need a bit of recovery time before I can give you a good direction, but I have some ideas.

First, you might need to remove the foot jewelry. Some inexpensive stuff is plated copper, and copper and TPE do not play well together.
Next collect your thoughts on what HEAT tools you have available (soldering iron and type, etc.) and how much you work with them.
Then let me know what power you use. Certain tools are more available in 220v areas than US 110v areas.
Finally, whatever you are doing, please stop so you don't make it worse.

More later.
Cheers!
... W ...
Any comments, ideas or suggestions are given FREELY for your use and information. Before using, first check to ensure they are compatible with your doll or specific situation. If any tool, chemical or technique is mentioned, make sure to follow all directions and safety instructions of the product. Some tools or items can be dangerous, so be careful. Use all appropriate safety gear, don’t run with scissors and don’t eat the yellow snow. Always keep your mind open.

estellblumhcb
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by estellblumhcb »

It looks hard, the skin has been melted by the heat.
Already have:
Irontechdoll Fiona 158cm #58 BBW Chubby
6ye Dabria 164cm #27 Chubby
RIDMII Gracy 166cm #R-K9 Unique

MinniMagg

Post by MinniMagg »

WOW! That took my breath away! You have a lot of work to do, and sadly you started with the wrong process.

There are a lot of threads here on TDF regarding tpe repair. And not to be overly critical but none of them involve melting tpe on the stove and pouring it onto the doll. Exceeding about 250° C will really melt the base material

I would start by getting some tpe by putting a post in the wanted section of the for sale forum. There are a lot of people that have some that you could buy some from. That would make sure you at least starting with TPE for a doll.

Personally I would cut a lot of your attempted repair off with a pair of sharp scissors. Get yourself a heating iron like this one so that you can start doing the repair
Heating/ shaping iron
Heating/ shaping iron
61klu+Mv0QL._AC_SL1500_.jpg (86.41 KiB) Viewed 832 times
https://www.amazon.com/Leather-Clothes- ... 9745&psc=1

And get a lot of either pure mineral oil or baby oil. The only difference is baby oil has a scent chemical mixed into it. I use pure mineral oil purchased in a gallon container because you will consume a lot of it over time.

Guys like Wheezer will be a great guide, you have to realize you have a lot work to do. I think cutting out all of what you added is the first step. Then saturating chunks of tpe, about the size of the tip of your thumb in mineral oil, adding them to the foot and slowly using the heating iron to melt them and shape them would either way that I would start the project. And yes take off the jewelry!

The more mineral oil you use the better off you will be. But heating up the tpe material will give off harmful fumes. I would certainly get a volatile organic compound, or VOC rated respirator such as this. Even if you do the repairs Outdoors I would wear it. Even though there are cheaper Brands I like the 3M brand because the cartridges are replaceable and they have many different types for different chemicals.

It's definitely get one of these if you are working with Molten tpe.
Respirator mask
Respirator mask
81i6cqQZ5zL._AC_UY780_.jpg (116.26 KiB) Viewed 832 times
https://www.amazon.com/3M-Paint-Project ... 312&sr=8-8

You will certainly need to start by reviewing some of the previous, and substantial material here on tdf that it's specifically addresses tpe repair. You are not going to get a simple two paragraph answer.

And don't be disappointed with what you did as we all screw up, and we learn from it. So read some of the threads on tpe repair, I think there's even videos on YouTube from Mishka that will help guide you. So don't be disappointed, just learn the right way to do it from the experts here

Wheezer
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Wheezer »

MinniMagg wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 1:51 am WOW! That took my breath away! You have a lot of work to do, and sadly you started with the wrong process.
<snip>
Ahh, You must have read my mind. Thank you very much. :)
Truly this was the direction I was going to suggest, including the specific tool.

1) The leather or shoe tool is the absolute best for this kind of thing.
A wide and flat surface that will heat to a good melt/bond temperature and with rounded edges to reduce digging into the repair area.

2) GOOD TPE is key. Doll stuff usually has the right blend for a repair like this. Some folks opt for a harder blend on the feet, but it looks like you want them a bit softer for foot play.

So the process is cut out the new or bad stuff to get down to actual TPE on the bottom of the feet. The top should be heat flowable with the tool shown above.
You want to heat flow the TPE, and not pour more molten stuff on it is you can.

TPE has some interesting thermal characteristics, one of them is conductivity. Thus it takes a good bit for the heat to spread in a bulk, but thin poured stuff cools quickly.
It seems ass backward, but that is what I have seen with melting, molding, casting and repairs.

So if you pour a small mold, you might get premature cooling and not a complete fill. :(
(cure = preheat mold or slde pour to fill indents from the edge and eliminate divots)

Likewise a thin/medium pour over existing TPE can fail when the pour does not retain enough heat to fuse with the base TPE :(
(cure = preheat base TPE to flow or near flow point then pour, do not pour onto colder TPE and expect a good bond)

In this case it depends on how "perfect" you want the feet and how much time you want to put in.

Easy to mid easy would be to cut off the bad TPE, then smooth down to original TPE using the leather/shoe tool. Using the edge you can GENTLY carve back some of the bottom foot details. With come care and work you should be able to get them back into fine shape.

A more involved method is to make a cast box for the feet that fit the existing area. You have to make sure it fits the area, preheat the base TPE, melt, cast, trim and a bit more. What you a actually doing is making a miniature version of the mold like that used to cast the doll. Involved and probably way beyond what you want to do to get back to foot fun.

Whatever you do, get back to the base TPE, clean that well with alcohol and get all the gunk gone. Oil is needed to keep your tool gliding, but watch too much. You will be heating and melting the TPE to smooth it and excess oil can lead to problems. In some situation the liberal amount of oil will get into the hot TPE and the result will be softer than planned, since oil mixed in with TPE is a softening agent.

Have a mask or safety gear available but if you are doing it right you may not need it.

TPE only smokes when burned, so if it is sending off clouds that is a sign you are way too hot and cooking the TPE.
Some oil will vaporize during smoothing, but a bit of flow ventilation should deal with that.
As with TPE, the mineral oil will smoke if you are way too hot.
Really if your repair area is smoking a lot, that is the TPE screaming "Ouch!! Stop that!" :)

Practice a bit and you will get the hang of it. Since most practice areas are the feet, your practice might end up being the repair.
So, get down to the original TPE, use the tool shown above and then slowly and carefully heat smooth the area.
That alone should fix the problem. Best to avoid chemicals for now.

Good luck!
... W ...

Pussy69
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by Pussy69 »

I was gonna post this small repair on my DC gal's thread but I'll share this here as an example for the feet scruffs.
So this happen during the dreadful 1st day shower after unboxing. I was a TPE noobie so I failed to see how far out the bolts were and struggled standing her on the floor & shower.
I fixed her up by cleaning & applying baby oil on the area and then use a heatgun on low setting to make the TPE move freely for smoothing. It doesnt take long for it to soften, but at the same time as heating it
you want to use a thick spoon to spread the cuts out.
Before.png
Before.png (7.85 MiB) Viewed 791 times
After.png
After.png (7.48 MiB) Viewed 791 times
Irontech 160cm H-cup Review viewtopic.php?t=167483
Doll's Castle 150cm K-cup Review viewtopic.php?p=2415314#p2415314
6Ye 161cm J-cup Review viewtopic.php?p=2442140#p2442140
YL Doll 158cm I-cup Review viewtopic.php?p=2481808#p2481808
Get beautiful dolls with great discounts & affordable promotions here @ https://betterlovedoll.com/sales

seagull
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by seagull »

Cute lil tootsies :)

Wheezer
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Wheezer »

Nice foot repair and good encouragement to the original poster.

Cheers!
... W ...

Satisdix

Post by Satisdix »

I found, the cheapest "fix" was a pair of socks.

INFORMATIONS