Starpery.com

Fingers that twist to the left... any ideas, solutions?

Ding! POP! Crash! Thud! oops...let's get her all fixed up!
Ant999

Fingers that twist to the left... any ideas, solutions?

Post by Ant999 »

My SY 148 has had this problem for a few months now, first it was the left pinkie, then the right middle finger (pictured), and yesterday the second finger on the left hand. They are not broken off, they just twist, and if I try to bend it in the opposite direction, to correct it, it just goes back. Does anyone have any idea why this happens, and a possible fix?
Standard wire fingers, I wish I had hauled out the extra money for jointed fingers from the start. I might plead guilty to accidentally bumping the first two, causing the original deformation, but I don't recall any incident with the finger that showed this problem for the first time yesterday.
IMG_20231111_110010.jpg
IMG_20231111_110010.jpg (37.71 KiB) Viewed 1961 times

Arthur1960
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary

Re: Fingers that twist to the left... any ideas, solutions?

Post by Arthur1960 »

Hi there, unfortunately this is a common issue with the older wired fingers. It's likely that your gals finger wires are fixed into a palm plate with epoxy and at the base of the wire is a spring that surrounds the wire and protrudes out of the plate for an inch or so. What often happens is that you might accidentally knock the fingers or bend them back causing the wire to break at the palm plate but because the wire is embedded in epoxy with a spring it may feel like it's still attached to the plate while it has actually snapped off. The result is that the wire is held in the plate by the spring but can now rotate and will appear a little floppy and if you pull on it it's likely to come out of the spring completely. The only real fix for this is to completely remove all the old wires and either replace them with a stronger wire or fit a complete hand skeleton assembly such as the one designed by MF and available direct from him on the forum. Personally if it's just the one finger I would live with it for now as it's a big job if you haven't done anything like it before. It is possible to make a single finger wire repair but it's fiddly and personally I would just replace all the wires as the others are likely to break as well at some point. The articulated fingers are much more robust and once you've got a gal with them you won't want to go back to wired fingers! Hope that helps.

Synthian
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by Synthian »

Ant999 wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 4:44 am My SY 148 has had this problem for a few months now, first it was the left pinkie, then the right middle finger (pictured), and yesterday the second finger on the left hand. They are not broken off, they just twist, and if I try to bend it in the opposite direction, to correct it, it just goes back. Does anyone have any idea why this happens, and a possible fix?
Standard wire fingers, I wish I had hauled out the extra money for jointed fingers from the start. I might plead guilty to accidentally bumping the first two, causing the original deformation, but I don't recall any incident with the finger that showed this problem for the first time yesterday.
IMG_20231111_110010.jpg
Hello Ant999, I concur with Arthur. Evelyn's first and only body had wired hands. The breakage started just like what you are describing. I got mannequinfan's articulated hand skeletons and they work so much better. He has easy to follow instructions and a tdf guy's how to video. If the finger starts to separate, do it right away. I waited until the finger was almost completely severed, now I have more finish work to do (I just put opera gloves on her because I suck at finish work). If you need any advice, feel free to dm me. Your girl has very beautiful hands!
Whether it be Human or Synthetic, love is love.

Evelyn's videos
viewtopic.php?t=168857

Ant999

Post by Ant999 »

Synthian wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 7:59 am
Ant999 wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 4:44 am My SY 148 has had this problem for a few months now, first it was the left pinkie, then the right middle finger (pictured), and yesterday the second finger on the left hand. They are not broken off, they just twist, and if I try to bend it in the opposite direction, to correct it, it just goes back. Does anyone have any idea why this happens, and a possible fix?
IMG_20231111_110010.jpg
Hello Ant999, I concur with Arthur. Evelyn's first and only body had wired hands. The breakage started just like what you are describing. I got mannequinfan's articulated hand skeletons and they work so much better. He has easy to follow instructions and a tdf guy's how to video. If the finger starts to separate, do it right away. I waited until the finger was almost completely severed, now I have more finish work to do (I just put opera gloves on her because I suck at finish work). If you need any advice, feel free to dm me. Your girl has very beautiful hands!
Thank you Arthur and Synthian, I will take a look at the available upgrades you mentioned, it always helps to see what others have done before, that is known to work. I thought of plastic ball-and-socket replacements for the wire, but probably the first big hurdle is to get the wires and springs out, because the TPE is melted into them. Geniece is emotionally (and financially!) my one and only, so she will be fixed as long as she is fixable, no tossing aside and getting a new one. Making virtue of necessity, a few scars will add authenticity, even humans pick up a few as the years go by.

Synthian
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by Synthian »

Ant999 wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 12:30 am Thank you Arthur and Synthian, I will take a look at the available upgrades you mentioned, it always helps to see what others have done before, that is known to work. I thought of plastic ball-and-socket replacements for the wire, but probably the first big hurdle is to get the wires and springs out, because the TPE is melted into them. Geniece is emotionally (and financially!) my one and only, so she will be fixed as long as she is fixable, no tossing aside and getting a new one. Making virtue of necessity, a few scars will add authenticity, even humans pick up a few as the years go by.
Hi Ant9999, I'm glad you are putting the work into Geniece, she is worth it! Even though Evelyn has 3 bodies now, we still use her original body that I replaced her hand skeletons. My biggest advice, is make the incision like the youtube video shows, in the palm of the hand. I made one side near the wrist because I thought it would show less and was thinner, but, no, the wrist bends more frequently and reopened the wound later. You will be helping Geniece so much! I did a lot of surgeries on Evelyn, not because I can, but because I can love 💖

At the Museum of Flight Los Angeles International Airport, Barbie, You've Come A Long Way!
IMG_6931 Barbie.JPG
IMG_6931 Barbie.JPG (2.5 MiB) Viewed 1817 times
Whether it be Human or Synthetic, love is love.

Evelyn's videos
viewtopic.php?t=168857

INFORMATIONS