Starpery.com

Ami's Toolkit

Ding! POP! Crash! Thud! oops...let's get her all fixed up!
Tyr
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Ami's Toolkit

Post by Tyr »

Ami and I thought we would show what's in her toolkit.
I will identify the items, any special considerations and what they are used for where applicable.
toolkit label.jpg
toolkit label.jpg (3.17 MiB) Viewed 1042 times
1. Wig stand, comes with some accessories, pins. great for holding the wig steady whilst de tangling.
2. Mane and Tail, de tangler solution. Bit slippy, apply in the bath or shower. Not too sure about this to be honest I've not noticed a great difference.
3. Water spray for dampening the wig before using straighteners and tongs.
4. Ami's makeup box. We won't look in there!!
5. Third hand. I mainly use this when applying fresh lashes to Ami's eyelids.
6. Tool box, one of three, where we stow all the small tools.
7. Good TPE scraps.
8. Not so good TPE scraps
9. White oil, good quality mineral oil, I use for smoothing.
10. Good TPE chunks
11. Forceps, locking good for holding, sometimes.
12. Leather Iron, excellent for smoothing large areas. I have recently got the hang of this tool and it is rapidly becoming one of my favourites. I had to sand and polish it to get a good finish as it was not too great out of the box. I use this at 230°C.
13. Hot knife, good for carving chunks. Not delicate!
14. Straightening tongs for the wigs.
15. Curling tongs for the wigs. Haven't got the hang of this yet.
16. Leftover Insert, very soft TPE (not sure it is TPE actually.)
17. Assorted tweezers, scissors .
18. Polished teaspoon, for smoothing.
19. Leftover wood insert.
20. Assorted nozzles for the heat gun. Never used them.
21. Heat gun. Part of the solder station.
22. Solder station.
23. small hot knife (screws onto the end of the soldering iron.)
24. brass hot tips for the soldering iron. I use these when welding TPE.
25. soldering iron. This was part of the soldering station and can change tips.
Some closer ups...
IMG_20231027_091910.jpg
IMG_20231027_091910.jpg (4.97 MiB) Viewed 1042 times
IMG_20231027_091905.jpg
IMG_20231027_091905.jpg (5.94 MiB) Viewed 1042 times
IMG_20231027_091902.jpg
IMG_20231027_091902.jpg (6.07 MiB) Viewed 1042 times
IMG_20231027_091852.jpg
IMG_20231027_091852.jpg (6.46 MiB) Viewed 1042 times
IMG_20231027_091847.jpg
IMG_20231027_091847.jpg (6.34 MiB) Viewed 1042 times
IMG_20231027_091844.jpg
IMG_20231027_091844.jpg (5.51 MiB) Viewed 1042 times
IMG_20231027_091840.jpg
IMG_20231027_091840.jpg (5.83 MiB) Viewed 1042 times
IMG_20231027_091838.jpg
IMG_20231027_091838.jpg (2.8 MiB) Viewed 1042 times
Make up kit
tookit label 2.jpg
tookit label 2.jpg (4.1 MiB) Viewed 1042 times
1. Eyelash tongs, supplied with some eyelash kits. I use them to squeeze the lashes onto the adhesive. I use Permatex clear silicon to glue Ami's eyelashes TO MANNEQUIN FANS EYELIDS NOT TO AMI'S FACE!
2. Set of false eyelashes.
3. Doll Laboratory teeth and tongue set.
4. Mannequin Fan eye set.
5. Mannequin Fan eye set irises.
6. Mannequin Fan eye set magnet gizmo.
7. Ami's original eyes.
8. Makeup applicators.
9. Lippy red.
10. Lippy plum.
11. Makeup set. Never used it.
12. Pencil sharpener. Always goes missing!
13. Eyebrow pencils. I use them to colour in Ami's nipples mainly.
14. Lip gloss.

Ami wanted to show off some of the bits. So...
IMG_20231027_093509.jpg
IMG_20231027_093509.jpg (4.79 MiB) Viewed 1042 times
IMG_20231027_093801.jpg
IMG_20231027_093801.jpg (4.68 MiB) Viewed 1042 times

Tyr
“We’ve always been vulnerable. Every day you go out the house, you’re vulnerable. You’re inches from diving under a bus or somebody hitting you over the head for your money. Nothing is safe. Everybody seems to be obsessed with safety. Well, nothing is safe, okay? Nothing! Make the most of it while you’re safe now. You won’t be tomorrow, maybe.”
The Late, Great, Ian Fraser Kilminster.

My 'e' key is getting sticky, so now and thn words may look a bit odd.

Tyr
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Re: Ami's Toolkit

Post by Tyr »

A few more.
Ray Gun
IMG_20231027_093856.jpg
IMG_20231027_093856.jpg (4.8 MiB) Viewed 1038 times
Never turn your back on a Doll!
IMG_20231027_094133.jpg
IMG_20231027_094133.jpg (4.82 MiB) Viewed 1038 times
Grabs the lippy!
IMG_20231027_094430.jpg
IMG_20231027_094430.jpg (5.58 MiB) Viewed 1038 times
Here's the pencil sharpener!
IMG_20231027_094710.jpg
IMG_20231027_094710.jpg (5.63 MiB) Viewed 1038 times
I hate this, it burns.
IMG_20231027_094934.jpg
IMG_20231027_094934.jpg (4.4 MiB) Viewed 1038 times
All done.
Tyr.
“We’ve always been vulnerable. Every day you go out the house, you’re vulnerable. You’re inches from diving under a bus or somebody hitting you over the head for your money. Nothing is safe. Everybody seems to be obsessed with safety. Well, nothing is safe, okay? Nothing! Make the most of it while you’re safe now. You won’t be tomorrow, maybe.”

Wheezer
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Wheezer »

Good tools and nice layout and description.
Thanks for sharing.
Cheers!
... W ...
Any comments, ideas or suggestions are given FREELY for your use and information. Before using, first check to ensure they are compatible with your doll or specific situation. If any tool, chemical or technique is mentioned, make sure to follow all directions and safety instructions of the product. Some tools or items can be dangerous, so be careful. Use all appropriate safety gear, don’t run with scissors and don’t eat the yellow snow. Always keep your mind open.

Tyr
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by Tyr »

I hope that there is something here that somebody might have been thinking they need.
I was getting the idea that Ami has more tools than I have in the garage!
The leather iron is a game changer as far as I'm concerned, we've just used it on a large repair where I cut a sizeable chunk away to give Ami a more ladylike look downstairs.We were quite pleased with the result.
The brass tips are a really useful addition to the soldering iron. I was given my set, but they are reasonably easy to make.
Just in case anyone was wondering, I bought nearly all of these tools on Amazon or eBay.
Tyr

SQLMan
Basic Poster
Basic Poster

Post by SQLMan »

Awesome detail on this post.
I've got a much smaller toolkit, that is really something!

Tyr
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by Tyr »

Hah! I've just noticed that I didn't finish the descriptions😳.
26: Comfort kit. Comprising of various chemicals developed by Indigo 20.
I've used it for minor repairs but over time, I have become much more adept at heat repairs than mixing chemicals. They do work, but require a lot of patience as there are curing times between treatments.
I'm not sure these kits are even available anymore. I've not seen or heard anything of Indigo20 for a long time.
Sorry about that.
Tyr.

Wheezer
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Wheezer »

Sadly I think that the Indogo20 line of products is no longer available. :(
He was an interesting person with unique views that did generate some documents and methods that are still used today.

Unfortunately he was entrepreneur /small business in the EU that was trying to play by the rules and crushed by EU regulations. :(
Unlike, in my opinion, some Asian sources that will sell anything, not label stuff and somehow are able to import dodgy stuff without repercussions.
Plus once 3M 94 primer took off as a inexpensive and easily available chemical welding agent, it was really the end.

Chemicals still have a valid place in the toolkit.
The right ones work well for users with small or specific repairs. Ones that are overkill for heat repairs.
Also chemical treatments can alter the perceived melt point of the TPE and come in handy for tricky repairs or smoothing.

And, at least to me, they smell nice. :)

Cheers!
... W ...
Any comments, ideas or suggestions are given FREELY for your use and information. Before using, first check to ensure they are compatible with your doll or specific situation. If any tool, chemical or technique is mentioned, make sure to follow all directions and safety instructions of the product. Some tools or items can be dangerous, so be careful. Use all appropriate safety gear, don’t run with scissors and don’t eat the yellow snow. Always keep your mind open.

Tyr
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by Tyr »

The smell is very important!
When I was young I used to love the smell of mothballs, creosote and freshly laid tar. Not all at the same time you understand 😁
Actually, I still do. The world is full of weirdos 😳
Tyr

Wheezer
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Wheezer »

Ah yes the sweet lab smell.
Acetones and certain ketones still delight the nose. Perhaps it gets back to the times in the lab when everything was dried with a wash of acetone.

Sadly today is seems a bit different.

Now it seems like if someone two counties over opens a bottle of nail polish remover, then some nervous ninny will shriek, don a mask and cower beneath their bed.
Yeah don't drink the stuff or huff the stuff, but get real.

Daily life is just a constant delicate dance with death.
Enjoy it while the music plays.

Cheers!
... W ...

Bella_aNNa
Basic Poster
Basic Poster

Post by Bella_aNNa »

That is a serious toolkit, love it :D
I am making a toolkit myself, having issues with finding good soldering irons. 3 irons stopped working for me already.
I didn't see a tattoo machine in your kit? I have tattooed the eyebrows on my dollheads. Really worth it! :D

:angel:
Bella_aNNa

Tyr
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by Tyr »

Soldering stations are a cut above standard soldering irons. The hot air gun comes in handy sometimes. I managed to partly melt the case of mine by placing it carelessly. It's supposed to cool down when placed in it's cradle. The soldering iron is replaceable although I have not had any problems with mine. I even have a bit of soldering mat wrapped around it just in case I get a bit too close to a bit of Ami that doesn't need soldering!
We don't have a tattoo gun. Never thought about buying one. I don't think we have the need to be honest. I'm content to colour Ami's eyebrows with an eyebrow pencil if she needs it. 😊
Cheers,
Tyr.

INFORMATIONS