Coverdoll
www.realdoll.com
Coverdoll

Contact with Abyss

Realistic silicone love dolls by Matt McMullen. RealDoll is the oldest and most well known love doll to which all others compare. Includes Boytoys.

Moderator: TJ_Foxx

Lynxz
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Re: Contact with Abyss

Post by Lynxz »

I spoke to Sam at abyss two weeks ago for almost an hour. They're catching up but it'll take time. Im closing in on 14 months on my order but i have absolute faith abyss will blow me away when she arrives. As long as you can be patient, you have nothing to fear.

freeman01

Post by freeman01 »

donjuanx wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 3:34 pm Hi! I just placed an order for a Realdoll Body C Renee. After finding this forum and reading some of the posts, it seems I may have found, not the best time, to place this order!

After reading through some of these threads I'm getting a bit worried about my nearly $10,000 purchase arriving! Can people with more experience with the company put my fears at ease or tell me what I should do?

I don't mind waiting, even a year or more, but I want to feel confident that at some point down the line I will receive her. This isn't my first doll, but I've wanted a Realdoll Body C for a while now and finally scraped up the funds to order one. Should I be worried about my purchase?
Abyss is an amazing company! I have a Renee Body A that I ordered in July 2015 and it took 12 weeks, right on the mark with what time frame they quoted at the start. The agony of waiting, with your case 1 year, is unbearable at times. Rest assure though, when she arrives, you open the shipping crate and she is staring at you...you won't care that it took a year.

I will say, a 1 year wait time is a testament to how popular these dolls have become. Like I said, in 2015 my wait time was 12 weeks and I thought that was crazy. Abyss uses the best materials PERIOD! My 8 year old Kara still looks new!

Hang in there! Post from time to time about your agonizing wait. It helps, trust me!
Live your life as you dream it and not necessarily as it was handed to you.

TJ_Foxx
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by TJ_Foxx »

Thank you, guys for this supportive feedback for each other and Abyss. I know Sam greatly appreciates it, and so does Mike. I will be sure they are both aware.
TJ_Foxx
Tasha Petite 3 Sky
Talia Petite 3 Dark Sky

lexico

Post by lexico »

anonymousdfuser wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 4:53 pm Please don't take this question the wrong way, as I am genuinely curious. How exactly are they staying ahead of the curve? Is it in terms of materials and manufacturing? If so, then I can understand. But in terms of product features, there are some things that are industry standard at this point, like articulated fingers, that RD doesn't have yet and has no plans to implement. Again, I'm not trying to come off as rude. I'm just genuinely curious.
I agree with your questioning! I'm currently really looking for a doll, and I'm considering 2 or 3 manufacturers. I do keep coming back to RealDoll and wondering about them, because of their historical significance.

But yeah, where can we find clear, visible details of the proof that they are still so far advanced that they are worth 5,000 more than even the most expensive other brands?

For the price of RealDolls, I'm kind of surprised at the lack of detail available through their website. They should start with some improvements there.
One of the first owners of a Real Doll (1997).
Currently no doll, but here are my "finalists": FanReal, Real Lady, XYColo, Zelex SLE.
If you have information to share, send me a PM!

donjuanx
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by donjuanx »

freeman01 wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 7:52 am
donjuanx wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 3:34 pm Hi! I just placed an order for a Realdoll Body C Renee. After finding this forum and reading some of the posts, it seems I may have found, not the best time, to place this order!

After reading through some of these threads I'm getting a bit worried about my nearly $10,000 purchase arriving! Can people with more experience with the company put my fears at ease or tell me what I should do?

I don't mind waiting, even a year or more, but I want to feel confident that at some point down the line I will receive her. This isn't my first doll, but I've wanted a Realdoll Body C for a while now and finally scraped up the funds to order one. Should I be worried about my purchase?
Abyss is an amazing company! I have a Renee Body A that I ordered in July 2015 and it took 12 weeks, right on the mark with what time frame they quoted at the start. The agony of waiting, with your case 1 year, is unbearable at times. Rest assure though, when she arrives, you open the shipping crate and she is staring at you...you won't care that it took a year.

I will say, a 1 year wait time is a testament to how popular these dolls have become. Like I said, in 2015 my wait time was 12 weeks and I thought that was crazy. Abyss uses the best materials PERIOD! My 8 year old Kara still looks new!

Hang in there! Post from time to time about your agonizing wait. It helps, trust me!
Hey! I just want to say that I have multiple dolls already, including an older Realdoll, so I'm not new to this thing or to this company. I waited nearly a year for my older Realdoll, and like many have said, the wait was worth it. Recently I've decided I really wanted another one, and a different body type at that, so I ordered a Renee Body C that I always had my eye on.

Back when I ordered my first Realdoll, I had constant email communication with Sam from Realdoll who assured me I would receive my product eventually, and promptly answered any questions I had. I had no worries at all about my purchase even if it was a long wait.

At this point, I don't mind waiting months or even a year, because, again, this isn't my first or only doll, and I know the product is worth the wait. The #1 thing I'm concerned about is the possibility that I won't receive my doll at all. Due to price hikes I've had to pay close to $10,000 for this latest purchase, which isn't a back-breaking amount for me, but it is not a sum of money I'd like to lose! For reference, my first Realdoll cost almost half that amount (purchased during one of those Black Friday sales).

There was another US doll company whose name began with an "S" and ended with an "s" many of you will remember who took a bunch of orders for their dolls from 2015-2020, charging $6000+ for each, and went out of business, leaving all of those orders up in the air and, as far as I can tell, never refunding those customers. That's a nightmare scenario, and I also thought Abyss was too established to let that happen, but lately I've been worried about this scenario. I don't want to end up in that position that the "S" customers ended up in.

lexico

Post by lexico »

donjuanx wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:04 pm There was another US doll company whose name began with an "S" and ended with an "s" many of you will remember who took a bunch of orders for their dolls from 2015-2020, charging $6000+ for each, and went out of business, leaving all of those orders up in the air and, as far as I can tell, never refunding those customers. That's a nightmare scenario, and I also thought Abyss was too established to let that happen, but lately I've been worried about this scenario. I don't want to end up in that position that the "S" customers ended up in.
Back in the late 1990s, Abyss also had a money scandal happening, although it was quite different. They had arranged with a broker of some kind to handle the transactions, and that guy was just taking our money and not doing the "broker" part with Abyss. I was one of the people whose money got lost, and together with a couple of others we had to really put some pressure on that "broker" to get us our money back. In those days, Matt McMullen and (I believe) his wife personally wrote and called us. We resolved it and eventually got dolls. Early sex doll days were a bit wild west!
Currently no doll, but here are my "finalists": FanReal, Real Lady, XYColo, Zelex SLE.

Atlas-Alderbund
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by Atlas-Alderbund »

lexico wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:40 pm
donjuanx wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:04 pm There was another US doll company whose name began with an "S" and ended with an "s" many of you will remember who took a bunch of orders for their dolls from 2015-2020, charging $6000+ for each, and went out of business, leaving all of those orders up in the air and, as far as I can tell, never refunding those customers. That's a nightmare scenario, and I also thought Abyss was too established to let that happen, but lately I've been worried about this scenario. I don't want to end up in that position that the "S" customers ended up in.
Back in the late 1990s, Abyss also had a money scandal happening, although it was quite different. They had arranged with a broker of some kind to handle the transactions, and that guy was just taking our money and not doing the "broker" part with Abyss. I was one of the people whose money got lost, and together with a couple of others we had to really put some pressure on that "broker" to get us our money back. In those days, Matt McMullen and (I believe) his wife personally wrote and called us. We resolved it and eventually got dolls. Early sex doll days were a bit wild west!
Go on.....

lexico

Post by lexico »

Atlas-Alderbund wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 12:03 am
Go on.....
What else would you like to know?

It was not Abyss' fault. They trusted the broker, and apparently they did not know what was happening. They were in touch with many of us directly. I know Matt felt personally criticized, and was frustrated by the situation. I also remember some funny videos of Matt's wife (?) at the time where she commented on the dolls with some colorful language! It was the late '90s. The Internet itself was brand new.

Atlas-Alderbund
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

lexico wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 12:37 am
Atlas-Alderbund wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 12:03 am
Go on.....
What else would you like to know?

It was not Abyss' fault. They trusted the broker, and apparently they did not know what was happening. They were in touch with many of us directly. I know Matt felt personally criticized, and was frustrated by the situation. I also remember some funny videos of Matt's wife (?) at the time where she commented on the dolls with some colorful language! It was the late '90s. The Internet itself was brand new.
The origins story was interesting. Its also fascinating how far back Abyss goes.

Wolfr1997
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Wolfr1997 »

Their after sales communication will leave you feeling uneasy. Right now they are not returning email communications in a timely manner (I’ve been waiting for months for a reply since they went over their lead time estimate). No doll, no replies

lexico

Post by lexico »

Atlas-Alderbund wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 12:39 am The origins story was interesting. Its also fascinating how far back Abyss goes.
Well, Abyss was the start of it all. There were no silicone sex dolls made and sold like that before Abyss.

Yes, it was an interesting time! The whole idea of what was possible in a sex toy suddenly took an unbelievable leap. Literally, when I first saw Abyss' early website, with an animated GIF of the breasts being squeezed, I didn't think it was real. But I was able to do some reading and what do you know -- it was possible to own one. Well, for $5,000.

Also in those early days, there were lots of guys with their own websites who got RealDolls and did early photo and video shoots, with essays about the experiences. I remember there was one guy who made a point of addressing his write-ups to his ex-girlfriend! Like he was saying, "I'm doing better now without you, see?"

There were also lots of write ups in magazines. I had to laugh when one journalist -- a woman -- wrote in response to that animated GIF showing the breasts being squeezed, something like, "The last time a guy tried to squeeze my breasts like that, he was booted out the door."

TJ_Foxx
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by TJ_Foxx »

Wolfr1997 wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 4:49 pm Their after sales communication will leave you feeling uneasy. Right now they are not returning email communications in a timely manner (I’ve been waiting for months for a reply since they went over their lead time estimate). No doll, no replies
Did you try to email again or just wait for "months?" Others are getting replies. It helps if you are courteous too. What did you order, and when? What is your order status on the website when you log in?
TJ_Foxx
Tasha Petite 3 Sky
Talia Petite 3 Dark Sky

Lynxz
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by Lynxz »

Sam replied to my email in 6 days. I politely asked for an update at his earliest convenience. Granted it was my first and only request after passing one year of patiently waiting. Im thinking he prioritizes replies to orders about to go into production for changes and such over people asking where they are in the queue when knowing that doesn't affect anything. Anyone on TDF can tell about where they are anyway from feedback from those already in line. (Im at 14 months currently and still going to be 3-5 more months). Also with tons of emails to reply to, would you start with the ones with aggro titles or? :)

Atlas-Alderbund
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

lexico wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 10:36 pm
Atlas-Alderbund wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 12:39 am The origins story was interesting. Its also fascinating how far back Abyss goes.
Well, Abyss was the start of it all. There were no silicone sex dolls made and sold like that before Abyss.

Yes, it was an interesting time! The whole idea of what was possible in a sex toy suddenly took an unbelievable leap. Literally, when I first saw Abyss' early website, with an animated GIF of the breasts being squeezed, I didn't think it was real. But I was able to do some reading and what do you know -- it was possible to own one. Well, for $5,000.

Also in those early days, there were lots of guys with their own websites who got RealDolls and did early photo and video shoots, with essays about the experiences. I remember there was one guy who made a point of addressing his write-ups to his ex-girlfriend! Like he was saying, "I'm doing better now without you, see?"

There were also lots of write ups in magazines. I had to laugh when one journalist -- a woman -- wrote in response to that animated GIF showing the breasts being squeezed, something like, "The last time a guy tried to squeeze my breasts like that, he was booted out the door."
Got anymore interesting facts and stories?

TJ_Foxx
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by TJ_Foxx »

Atlas-Alderbund wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 1:25 am
lexico wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 10:36 pm

Got anymore interesting facts and stories?

Let’s keep the discussion on topic. Feel free to start another topic or discuss via pm
TJ_Foxx
Tasha Petite 3 Sky
Talia Petite 3 Dark Sky

INFORMATIONS