Starpery.com

Birth of an ElfBabe!

Got an idea? Need an invention?
Crazyhorse

Birth of an ElfBabe!

Post by Crazyhorse »

Well I've been talking about this project in various threads for awhile now, and finally feel ready to post some pics. Here's a little info for those who don't already know.

This is a doll I started making for myself about 2 years ago, way before finding this forum (though I now wish I had found it much sooner). I wanted a small (100 cm), poseable, sex-capable silicone elf or fairy doll, and figured I'd have to do it myself. Its not really much of a stretch from my work in sculpting, moldmaking and casting for special effects and costuming, so I started working on a model in my spare time.

Unfortunately circumstances got in the way (like the slow death of my marriage), and the whole thing got stuck in a box until a few months ago when I got divorced, pulled out the box and started work on it again. There's still some minor shaping and surface smoothing to do, but the body is now more or less like I want it. I should have the head ready in the next 2-3 weeks, then will start making molds.

This is something I can only work on a few hours a week in my spare time, so it will be a very slow process, but I want to share pictures and info of each major step between the original sculpt, and the finished doll. There seem to be a lot of people interested in knowing how a doll is made, and a startling lack of info and widespread misconceptions about certain things. Some of the manufacturers might be upset at me for doing this, but thats just tough titty. :lol:

Hopefully they will realize that better educated consumers are good for business, IF they are making a quality product. Better understanding of the time, effort and expense that goes into something like this, should help customers understand why they cost so much. Despite being smaller (making it cheaper and easier of course), the basic process and materials will be very similar to what goes into making a high-end, full size doll.

Also, it might be worth noting that I do not consider this project a commercial venture, I don't plan on producing these dolls in large numbers or setting up a web store etc. Mainly I am just creating my "Dream doll" for my own satisfaction, since nothing close enough for me already exists, and well.. just cause I can! :) If there is enough interest, once I have perfected it I may put a few up for auction, we'll see how it goes. It won't be anytime soon, I wouldn't be surprised if this takes over a year to finish.

Anyway, sorry if I'm rambling a bit, here's the pics! I'll be happy to try and answer any questions.

Image[/img]

maxxjedi
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by maxxjedi »

Looks great! Nice rump!!

itsme
Manufacturer Affiliated
Manufacturer Affiliated

Post by itsme »

she looks good
whats her size?

riche
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by riche »

This is real nice. Hope to see your finised doll soon. 100CM. high doll is what I want.

Warge
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by Warge »

Very nice! What is it made of? It looks like plaster, but I guess anything would go. That said, if I may make a suggestion: if you want an elf, I think that not only the head should show elfish features, but the body as well - not that broad over the shoulders, thinner, smaller breasts. And of course, pointy ears!

Crazyhorse

Post by Crazyhorse »

Thanks guys! :D
whats her size?
With the head she should end up right around 40", or a little over 100cm.
Very nice! What is it made of? It looks like plaster, but I guess anything would go.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that. There are a lot of options for the material on the model of course, whatever the sculptor is most comfortable with. I'm sure a lot of people would use plastilene clay. But for the majority of this I chose a product called Das (sometimes Das Pronto), available at Michaels stores in the US. It is a paper mache based clayish stuff, similar to "paperclay", but cheaper. It has all the advantages to working with clay, but it is lighter, stronger, dries faster, and does not shrink and crack when used over an armature like pottery clay. I build it up in layers, then sand and file it down, back and forth until the shape is right and as symmetrical as I can manage.

That said, if I may make a suggestion: if you want an elf, I think that not only the head should show elfish features, but the body as well - not that broad over the shoulders, thinner, smaller breasts. And of course, pointy ears!
This is a good point, and I did seriously consider making her much more petite and frail looking at one time, but then decided against it because while I do want her to be slender and "fey" I also don't want her to appear child-like at all. So I went for very thin, but also unmistakably adult and somewhat muscular, exaggerating pretty much all the curves and lengthening the legs. I want her to be a little bit stylized, almost like a giant seamless BJD.

This design, to me, is more elvish, while the even more petite, younger body style is more like a fairy. I guess thats the nice thing about aiming at creating a fantasy character, rather than duplicating a real human exactly. There's a lot more room for interpretation and individual style. I may be interested in doing something more fairyish in the future, but thats way over the horizon.

The design of this one is not going to change much at this point, although I will probably slim down her forearms and calves just a bit before the molding, and make a few other final adjustments. Its interesting how these pictures show me things that are much harder to notice in real life, I may have to start taking more pictures to help in my other work as well.

Thanks for the feedback! :D

itsme
Manufacturer Affiliated
Manufacturer Affiliated

Post by itsme »

Das Pronto is a clay no?
is she solid clay or what did you use for a armatcher

Crazyhorse

Post by Crazyhorse »

itsme wrote:Das Pronto is a clay no?
is she solid clay or what did you use for a armatcher
Technically, no it isn't a clay. Clay comes from the ground, and as I'm sure you know, shrinks a lot when it dries and almost always cracks when shaped over something hard. Das is made from paper pulp instead, and somehow it doesn't shrink even slightly when it dries (not even sure how thats possible, but it doesn't.) Also as I said, it dries considerably faster and lighter. Feels the same to work with when wet, but has different properties when dry. Interesting stuff.

The armature is mostly carved from rigid polyfoam, I may have some pictures of the early sculpting stages somewhere I'll look around. It also has some "transplanted" plastic parts, but I can't really talk about that because of rule 1 (section 2). :roll:

NamRepaid
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by NamRepaid »

I like the slot! I agree the calves could use a slight trimming but over all a very nice sculpt. Mumm knee lines, been reading about them lately, they look right to me. Isn’t that one of itsme’s boxes in the background? Great project with it I bet you’re enjoying it.
Good luck with the project!

Nam

Crazyhorse

Post by Crazyhorse »

NamRepaid wrote:I like the slot! I agree the calves could use a slight trimming but over all a very nice sculpt. Mumm knee lines, been reading about them lately, they look right to me. Isn’t that one of itsme’s boxes in the background? Great project with it I bet you’re enjoying it.
Good luck with the project!

Nam
Heh, good eye.. yes thats the box my Taffy came in. :D The knees (and elbows) are pretty cartoony and simplified but it works for me. Thanks I am enjoying it, but I've gone a little overboard with it lately, really gotta start spending more time on my "Real job" :lol:

technoguy
Ex-Member

Post by technoguy »

Crazyhorse...

Looks good so far!

Actually, I think there could be a market for these 100 cm dolls, but I'm not sure how many guys out there want to have sex with an elf.

I think if you give her a normal female face and make the boobs a bit bouncier, you would definitely find a LOT of interest in the doll, especially if you could keep the total cost under $1500 USD.

At 100 cm, the finished doll will have to have some sort of internal skeleton which I assume with either be a polyurethane core or, if the the doll is solid silicone, some sort of simple bungee cord connected PVC tubular design.

I will look forward to seeing what progress you make toward the finished doll and am curious to see what materials you will select for the final mold.

technoguy

Crazyhorse

Post by Crazyhorse »

technoguy wrote:
Actually, I think there could be a market for these 100 cm dolls, but I'm not sure how many guys out there want to have sex with an elf.

I think if you give her a normal female face and make the boobs a bit bouncier, you would definitely find a LOT of interest in the doll, especially if you could keep the total cost under $1500 USD.
As I've said, this is not primarily a commercial project. The size of the market and final "unit price" etc. are not important considerations here. Someone wanting a larger breasted, human face, 3 foot tall doll should look into First Androids "Fantasy" instead. If thats what I wanted, I'd have just bought one. It would probably be cheaper. This ones for me, and I happen to have a bit of a thing for elves and fairies. :lol:

Also, I think it gives her a "reason" for only being 3 feet tall. When you look at her, instead of thinking "why is this woman so tiny?" you will think "Of course she's tiny, she's an elf!". Or at least thats my hope. :) Still, I do plan on making the body and head seperately, so that later on I can make ones with different heads if I want. Once this is finished, I MIGHT do a few custom versions, I've already been asked about making an "anthro" Bunnygirl and might have some interest in that. I could see doing a mini Persocom, too. We'll see. Maybe I could make you a little grey alien babe? :wink:
technoguy wrote:
At 100 cm, the finished doll will have to have some sort of internal skeleton which I assume with either be a polyurethane core or, if the the doll is solid silicone, some sort of simple bungee cord connected PVC tubular design.
Yes she will definitely have a skeleton that can hold a pose, at least in the final version. I'm still playing with ideas on how to go about it, but currently thinking of trying something pretty different from what I've seen in larger dolls, based on the same kind of aluminum wire frame that is often used in stop-motion animation. Actually it may be similar to what is in a Teddybabe, I'm not sure. Basically something like this, only bigger: http://www.animateclay.com/modules.php? ... =10&page=1
But I'd probably use thick wooden dowels instead of the epoxy putty.

If that doesn't work, I'll do something else. I'm very persistent. :D
technoguy wrote:I will look forward to seeing what progress you make toward the finished doll and am curious to see what materials you will select for the final mold.

Still not 100% sure about that either, there are a whole lot of good options. But I may just go with this urethane stuff called "PMC 724", it has good general molding qualities but it is very cheap because it is considered "temporary". Most rubber molds will supposedly last a very long time, but this stuff isn't as stable and after 2-5 years, it reverts to a liquid. Fortunately since this isn't a long-term mass production mold thats plenty of time for what I want to do, and I can always make a more permanent mold of the original sculpt later if I want, its not that big of a deal for me. Also its tempting to use because I already happen to have several gallons of it. :) The outer "mother mold" will most likely be either "plasti-paste" or bondo. I use fiberglass on more permanent molds but its probably not worth it for this one.

ClosetMonster
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor
Location: The back of your closet, past the old band uniform, and behind that tattered stack of comics.

Post by ClosetMonster »

Looking great! ...and I like the calves. Very shapely. :)

rentell
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by rentell »

Absolutely fascinating crazyhorse, I shall follow this venture with great interest.
Your other posts have made very interesting reading with your knowledge of special effects and the materials used.

I have been very tempted to do something like this myself but lack of knowledge on materials and of course the old enemy ... lack of time.

I would assume you are in the US as often materials are mentioned that either are not available here and therefore would be difficult and expensive to have sent here.

An example is something simple like acetone, I have found industrial suppliers here but of course they do not sell small quantities to the public.

You must know of the Neo elf doll I expect and your sculpt is very similar with your proportions exactly right, very much look forward to seeing the head.

It would also seem that the skeleton is the hardest part to get right, light weight and great strength needed, a difficult combination.

And a lovely derrière, me like bottoms (ass in US?) :D

Crazyhorse

Post by Crazyhorse »

ClosetMonster wrote:Looking great! ...and I like the calves. Very shapely. :)
Thanks. Always glad to have a friendly closet monster around. :D
rentell wrote:Absolutely fascinating crazyhorse, I shall follow this venture with great interest.
Your other posts have made very interesting reading with your knowledge of special effects and the materials used.
Thanks very much! :oops:
I have been very tempted to do something like this myself but lack of knowledge on materials and of course the old enemy ... lack of time.
Time is the real killer for me for sure. I expect this project to go very slowly, even though it could probably be done in just a couple of months if I had more time. But like I said, I'm persistent. :lol:
I would assume you are in the US as often materials are mentioned that either are not available here and therefore would be difficult and expensive to have sent here.
Yup, imma 'murrican :razz: But at least the main product I've used so far (Das) is international, there's about 5 languages on the package. :) I'm sure there could be difficulties getting some materials in some parts of the world, especially dangerous stuff like Acetone. But I probably won't be using much thats too obscure, even if the specific brands and suppliers that I use aren't available, there should be equivalent types of all the important stuff like silicone and urethane, fiberglass, etc. pretty much anywhere there are sculptors. Take something like Bondo... they may not have that specific product where you are, but I bet they have a nearly identical "auto-body repair filler" by some other name.
You must know of the Neo elf doll I expect and your sculpt is very similar with your proportions exactly right, very much look forward to seeing the head.
I could only hope to come anywhere near the beauty of a Neo. I'd absolutely love to be able to own one of those someday too.
It would also seem that the skeleton is the hardest part to get right, light weight and great strength needed, a difficult combination.
I expect you're right about that, its also one of the things I have the least relevant experience with. If my stop-motion armature idea doesn't hold water I can look into getting a custom ball-and-socket skeleton machined. Maybe I could even work something out with Shrade as he seems to know that side of it.
And a lovely derrière, me like bottoms (ass in US?) :D
They all sound good to me. :wink: I do likes me a nice heart shaped booty. :lol:

INFORMATIONS