Starpery.com

Cleaning Eyes-

Ding! POP! Crash! Thud! oops...let's get her all fixed up!
Photo_guy
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Cleaning Eyes-

Post by Photo_guy »

I apologize for starting a new thread asking a question that I am sure has been answered dozens of times here on the maintenance forum- I've tried the search page with an amazing amount of results on everything except the simple information I am trying to find. (this seems to happen just about every time I try the search feature, but we'll save that subject for a later date, or perhaps the Daily Rant)

My dolls eyes are looking very dull, like they have a film built up over them. I've tried wiping them with wet a Qtip, and then tried windex on them as well. No good, they just go back to looking like crap as soon as they dry.
What is the magic answer here?
What will clean them so they look bright and clear once again?
tia-
Every day is a good day, some are just better than others. - RJD
Jo- WM 167 H Cup Fitness Model
Amber- (Shared Body) Head #266

Stacy
Five Card Draw

ariel_lover
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Re: Cleaning Eyes-

Post by ariel_lover »

Try Isopropyl Alcohol.

Photo_guy
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by Photo_guy »

ariel_lover wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 8:18 pm Try Isopropyl Alcohol.
Yea?
I did grab a bottle of it and was about to use it but remember reading in the catacombs here that Alcohol and TPE is not a good combination.
Just be careful with it?

Stacy
Five Card Draw

ariel_lover
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by ariel_lover »

Minor contact with alcohol will not damage TPE (I use it all the time to clean my girls TPE skin to attach her eyebrow wigs). But if you are concerned, remove the eyes for cleaning.

Arthur1960
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary

Post by Arthur1960 »

Photo_guy wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 8:24 pm
ariel_lover wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 8:18 pm Try Isopropyl Alcohol.
Yea?
I did grab a bottle of it and was about to use it but remember reading in the catacombs here that Alcohol and TPE is not a good combination.
Just be careful with it?
Yeah it's good to keep alcohol away from tpe as much as possible. Your best bet is to just pop the eye out and then you can give it a really good clean. Most tpe dolls have a wad of cotton in the back of the eye to keep it in place so just set that to one side then you can clean the eye. You may find that there is a little glue on the eye from having the eye lashes attached. If it turns out to be superglue then that's a pain to remove, I usually end up washing the eye in the sink with washing up liquid! If it's eye lash glue then that will rub off easy enough. When you put the eye back stuff the cotton into the back of the eye first then pop the eye back in being careful not to catch the eye lashes. Hope that helps.

crazedcat
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by crazedcat »

Twitter: https://twitter.com/sillyconeman
TAYU 148D+
TAYU 158C+
TAYU 170E
MLW 148B silicone

Canvas
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Canvas »

I have had this issue myself and I’ve tried a few things to clean eyes and they all lead to the eyes fogging.
What’s been working for me to replenish them is using a little baby oil on a twisted end of paper towel, and wiping the eye. It repolishes the eye giving them a nice glow again.
- viewtopic.php?t=144737 -
🌸 🍒 - Doll Canvas - 🍒 🌸

Arthur1960
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary

Post by Arthur1960 »

Doll Canvas wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 8:42 pm I have had this issue myself and I’ve tried a few things to clean eyes and they all lead to the eyes fogging.
What’s been working for me to replenish them is using a little baby oil on a twisted end of paper towel, and wiping the eye. It repolishes the eye giving them a nice glow again.
Good point! I sometimes rub a tiny bit of oil over the eye with a cotton bud prior to doing a shoot as it gives the eye a little sparkle 😁

Wheezer
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Wheezer »

If the eyes are dull that means that the once clean and glossy surface of the eye is no longer smooth. It has either a build up of contaminants (causing micro bumps) or something has etched the surface (causing micro pits). Unfortunately many chemicals that can clean off contaminants can also fog or dull the eyes. It all depends on the plastic used in your dolls specific eyes. An effective cure is to polish and seal dull eyes to bring them back to life. There are many products and methods out there to polish and seal clear plastic.

A search on Google for "polishing model aircraft canopy" will give you a lot of info, as will searches on polishing plastic headlights and such. Most plastic polishing compounds will work well on eyes. Final sealing to bring back the gloss is also simple. One option is "Future" (or similar) acrylic floor polish. Apply wet and when dry and they will shine again. One downside to those is that ammonia (Windex, etc.) and some alcohols can strip then and thus dull the eyes. Another option are some of the final polish coat sealers for auto headlights. Those also resist dulling by UV light. I've also used clear high gloss acrylic spray paint to restore some and they worked well. Just clean, polish and mist on a light coat.

You might also want to look into some of the fine polishes used for doing final clear coat work on cars.

Before you clean them you should probably figure out what caused the dulling to prevent it in the future. It could be a spray you are using for doll or hair maintenance, UV light from where she is stored or the methods you are using to manipulate the eyes. That will help not only in preventing reoccurrence, but deciding on what methods is best for repair.

And whatever you chooses, make sure to REMOVE the eyes first for polishing and sealing. :)

Cheers!
... W ...
Any comments, ideas or suggestions are given FREELY for your use and information. Before using, first check to ensure they are compatible with your doll or specific situation. If any tool, chemical or technique is mentioned, make sure to follow all directions and safety instructions of the product. Some tools or items can be dangerous, so be careful. Use all appropriate safety gear, don’t run with scissors and don’t eat the yellow snow. Always keep your mind open.

Photo_guy
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by Photo_guy »

Wow, thanks guys!
Wheezer; Good Stuff, thank you. The acrylic polish or spray may be best solution in the long run.

I think I am going to try one of the quick fixes, maybe alcohol or a dab of oil just to get through a shoot I am trying to do. Then I will look into possibly buying a new set, haven't checked really but don't think they are all that expensive. It's Ambers eyes that I am concerned about right now, her eyes are absolutely beautiful (when clean) and really make her personality so finding some the same color will be key for me. I will do that when I can spend the time and do it right.

Thanks again.

Stacy
Five Card Draw

Wheezer
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Wheezer »

Glad to help. :)

For image sets or playtime when I want her eyes bright, a touch of baby oil on a Q-tip does the trick. On display dolls that seems to last a while.
Like most folks I baby powder the eye sockets to give some light lubrication that eases eye movement. However I have noticed after sessions with eye movement a bit of dulling as the powder is captured by the oiled eyes. Unlike TPE, the powder on the eyes sticks and shows.

In those cases I popped out the eyes, lightly oiled them with baby oil then cleaned it off and buffed them with a microfiber cloth for a bit while watching the news. Say 15 to 30 minutes buffing per eye.
It's cheap, easy, non-destructive and might cure the issue.

Cheers!
... W ...
Any comments, ideas or suggestions are given FREELY for your use and information. Before using, first check to ensure they are compatible with your doll or specific situation. If any tool, chemical or technique is mentioned, make sure to follow all directions and safety instructions of the product. Some tools or items can be dangerous, so be careful. Use all appropriate safety gear, don’t run with scissors and don’t eat the yellow snow. Always keep your mind open.

Photo_guy
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by Photo_guy »

Hey gang- going to revive an old thread with a new question-
IMG_8652.jpg
IMG_8652.jpg (2 MiB) Viewed 574 times
I did pop out Ambers eyes and polish on them a bit and it really did help, but I couldn't believe how scratched up they are upon closer inspection. I think they can be salvaged but am also looking for a new set providing I can get the right color.
My question is I am on Amazon and see there are many different sizes from various sellers- can anyone tell me what size the standard WM Dolls come with?
I am not at home right now and am unable to measure for myself-

And yea, it's time to redo her eyebrows was well. I'm guessing regular make up isn't the best for long lasting, what is everyones go-to for that?
The Alaskan in me says; Sharpie but that's probably not right... 😁

Stacy
Five Card Draw

Rock13
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Post by Rock13 »

During makeovers, I clean the eyes with 91% Isopropyl Alcohol, polish them with a microfiber towel, and then swab them with a thin coat of Pledge with Future Shine. It only takes about 20 minutes to flash off and dry. Makes them sparkle:

Hadleigh is a fair-skinned WM163C/#188, Harper (#124) is a medium toned WM164D, Kendall is a fair-skinned 163C/#398. All via RLSD.

Link to Hadleigh's photo thread

Link to Harper's photo thread

Link to Kendall's photo thread

Link to the H2K Ranch

Rock13
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Post by Rock13 »

Photo_guy wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 10:51 pmAnd yea, it's time to redo her eyebrows was well. I'm guessing regular make up isn't the best for long lasting, what is everyones go-to for that? The Alaskan in me says; Sharpie but that's probably not right... 😁
I order my dolls without factory makeup and use Cardani human hair eyebrow wigs from Headcovers. They don't stock red because red eyebrows are exceedingly rare, but with care you can stain the blonde ones with various materials ranging from lip creme to enamel paint. I apply them with a clear drying flexible glue called Micro Kristal Klear. Takes a lot of the guesswork out of it:

https://www.headcovers.com/eyebrows/eyebrow-wigs/

https://www.amazon.com/Micro-Kristal-Kl ... 180&sr=8-1
Hadleigh is a fair-skinned WM163C/#188, Harper (#124) is a medium toned WM164D, Kendall is a fair-skinned 163C/#398. All via RLSD.

Link to Hadleigh's photo thread

Link to Harper's photo thread

Link to Kendall's photo thread

Link to the H2K Ranch

Photo_guy
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by Photo_guy »

Rock13 wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 11:17 pm I order my dolls without factory makeup and use eyebrow wigs from Headcovers. I apply them with a clear drying flexible glue called Micro Kristal Klear. Takes the guesswork out of it:

https://www.headcovers.com/eyebrows/eyebrow-wigs/

https://www.amazon.com/Micro-Kristal-Kl ... 180&sr=8-1
Thanks Rock, I'll look into that option-

Stacy
Five Card Draw

INFORMATIONS