Starpery.com

Inexpensive Doll Stand Alternative

Got an idea? Need an invention?
Wolverine
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Inexpensive Doll Stand Alternative

Post by Wolverine »

Looking around at all the doll stands that can be purchased, I was severely disappointed, and disheartened over the prices being charged, had a few ideas using galvanized pipe, made some plans, but decided for now to go for a quicker route.
My biggest outrage was looking at the “Realdoll stand”! At $450 it’s just a way over priced speaker stand with a few add ons. Wasn’t in love with the big speaker stand leg protruding in between my doll’s legs either. Don’t get me wrong, I LOVE Realdolls, and LOVE owning them, would simply LOVE to display them on stands that take into account of how much money you’ve spent already.
It’s already an expensive hobby.
Anyway, here is my idea for a cheaper stand, cost is around $100, and all the parts are on Amazon.
Pictured is my Realdoll Celeste, she is standing with support of my stand.
IMG_7185.jpeg
IMG_7185.jpeg (2.05 MiB) Viewed 475 times

Here is the Stand by itelf
IMG_7159.jpeg
IMG_7159.jpeg (4.12 MiB) Viewed 475 times

If you compare the stand Celeste is on, and the one pictured by itself, you may notice Celeste’s stand is a thinner width.
On her stand I cut off five inches off the width to eliminate unused space.
You can pick this tool up at any hardware, or big box DIY store.

IMG_7169.jpeg
IMG_7169.jpeg (2.49 MiB) Viewed 475 times

Normally electricians, and plumbers use it, but it’s always great to have one on hand.
IMG_7156.jpeg
IMG_7156.jpeg (1.9 MiB) Viewed 475 times

Remember… measure once, cut twice 😂🤣

IMG_7157.jpeg
IMG_7157.jpeg (2.75 MiB) Viewed 475 times

If you decide to go this route, and also decide to trim it down, keep in mind which end you are cutting, never cut the side that inserts into the other pipe, or the side that has a screw cap.
On middle support rod, you will have to take the rubber caps off, and trim the rod down to accommodate the hex screws in the clamps.
Cut the foam insulator to your desired length.

IMG_7189.jpeg
IMG_7189.jpeg (352.39 KiB) Viewed 475 times

If you have any white duct tape you can tape the foam piece.
I originally thought of using a “pool noodle” but wasn’t willing to gamble on wether it would transfer color onto Celeste’s back.

I also bought a piece to attach on most TPE dolls, if you want to use this, you would have to use the screw in neck pin, the quick release will pop once you have her mounted. I can supply the part number once I find the Menards receipt.
Make sure you have a steel, or carbide 5/8 drill bit to drill the hole for the screw on neck pin.
Or if you want to hang just the body, you can use the hanging hook supplied with some dolls.
IMG_7167.jpeg
IMG_7167.jpeg (2.42 MiB) Viewed 475 times

The rack comes with great instructions, both the rack, and support rod come with hex wrenches

I also placed one side of each S hook into a vise, to close the end more. And tied it up so once a doll was hung on the hook, it would pull the tie tight.

IMG_7166.jpeg
IMG_7166.jpeg (1.89 MiB) Viewed 475 times

I hope this inspires some greater minds to make improvements, or come up with a better affordable stand.

Some links to the parts need.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09NPYV4KM?re ... tails&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07S1CHRNB?re ... tails&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BTRMTKB7?ps ... ct_details

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09L4WX6JQ?ps ... ct_details

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09CPH4VKR?ps ... ct_details

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B098NZTGKB?ps ... ct_details

cryptid85
Basic Poster
Basic Poster

Re: Inexpensive Doll Stand Alternative

Post by cryptid85 »

Wolverine wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 11:12 pm Looking around at all the doll stands that can be purchased, I was severely disappointed, and disheartened over the prices being charged
I feel the same about the stands and hanging racks. I've been looking around for something to hang mine from when being stored. I keep her in my closet but my closet shelf wouldn't be able to support her hanging weight. The cheapest one I have found on a doll reseller site is $200 and they really just look like garment racks. I found one on Amazon that says it'll hold 150 lbs (2x my dolls weight) that I was considering -- but as someone pointed out to me, 150 of garments would be spread across the entire bar while the doll would be putting it all at a single point. It probably wouldn't hold up.

Wolverine
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by Wolverine »

cryptid85 wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 9:30 am
I feel the same about the stands and hanging racks. I've been looking around for something to hang mine from when being stored. I keep her in my closet but my closet shelf wouldn't be able to support her hanging weight. The cheapest one I have found on a doll reseller site is $200 and they really just look like garment racks. I found one on Amazon that says it'll hold 150 lbs (2x my dolls weight) that I was considering -- but as someone pointed out to me, 150 of garments would be spread across the entire bar while the doll would be putting it all at a single point. It probably wouldn't hold up.
So far I have two RealDolls each hanging on their own rack, cutting the width down to accommodate the space I need it to go into. The Body F is standing, aided by the stand, The petite is not touching the floor. There is some pull forward, so I am thinking about a anchor to the wall to play safe, same principle as L brackets to secure tall furniture for safety.

timetraveler1
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary

Post by timetraveler1 »

i was looking at your idea and plans , i think it's a great idea , the only thing i would change is i would add locking ( and unlock ) wheels on the front wheels , i think those type have a metal lever tab that you push down or lift up to lock and unlock them . just for extra safety!.

Wolverine
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by Wolverine »

timetraveler1 wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 10:49 am the only thing i would change is i would add locking ( and unlock ) wheels on the front wheels , i think those type have a metal lever tab that you push down or lift up to lock and unlock them . just for extra safety!.
IMG_7949.jpeg
IMG_7949.jpeg (236.05 KiB) Viewed 212 times

Yep, this has them, I put them on the front side for ease of access

timetraveler1
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary

Post by timetraveler1 »

:D oh okay i didn't see it before , great minds think alike , that is a good safety thing to have . see you were already ahead of me !! :D :glou: :glou:

INFORMATIONS