Starpery.com

How to reattach teeth?

Ding! POP! Crash! Thud! oops...let's get her all fixed up!
bringiton23

How to reattach teeth?

Post by bringiton23 »

Got an ElsaBabe head in today. No damages outside or to packaging, but her top teeth were detached from the roof of her mouth. Can't really get my phone camera in there to show, but there are some good indentations where the teeth were connected at some point before shipping. Soft teeth option, not hard. The middle teeth are still connected for now, but the sides are completely detached and dangling. I have seen people saying to use only the 3M glue, but idk how feasible it is to get in there with a brush (qtip maybe?) and to make matters even more annoying, it's the catgirl head (top lip split in the middle like that).

phillip57
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Re: How to reattach teeth?

Post by phillip57 »

I've never worked wit TPE, but Q-tips are always good to have around. If the glue is thin enough A Q-tip might do the trick.

Phil

Wheezer
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Wheezer »

bringiton23 wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 8:39 pm Got an ElsaBabe head in today. No damages outside or to packaging, but her top teeth were detached from the roof of her mouth. Can't really get my phone camera in there to show, but there are some good indentations where the teeth were connected at some point before shipping. Soft teeth option, not hard. The middle teeth are still connected for now, but the sides are completely detached and dangling. I have seen people saying to use only the 3M glue, but idk how feasible it is to get in there with a brush (qtip maybe?) and to make matters even more annoying, it's the catgirl head (top lip split in the middle like that).
Try to get an image of the damage area or a stock head with the teeth detail and post it here.
I've used many odd and micro tools to get 3M primer into small and odd TPE areas for repair.
Once I can see the problem area, I can offer some suggestions.
But just to be clear, this is a TPE head ... and not silicone.
Cheers!
... W ...
Any comments, ideas or suggestions are given FREELY for your use and information. Before using, first check to ensure they are compatible with your doll or specific situation. If any tool, chemical or technique is mentioned, make sure to follow all directions and safety instructions of the product. Some tools or items can be dangerous, so be careful. Use all appropriate safety gear, don’t run with scissors and don’t eat the yellow snow. Always keep your mind open.

bringiton23

Post by bringiton23 »

phillip57 wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:04 pm I've never worked wit TPE, but Q-tips are always good to have around. If the glue is thin enough A Q-tip might do the trick.

Phil
Of course I have qtips on hand for hygienic reasons.
Wheezer wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:41 amTry to get an image of the damage area or a stock head with the teeth detail and post it here.
I've used many odd and micro tools to get 3M primer into small and odd TPE areas for repair.
Once I can see the problem area, I can offer some suggestions.
But just to be clear, this is a TPE head ... and not silicone.
Cheers!
... W ...
Says it's silicone. I have some silipoxy already if 3M doesn't work on silicone. As stated, I can't get my phone camera in there to take a picture of it clearly. Only noticed when I looked into her mouth to check for defects and saw them hanging. I don't want to risk more damage by trying to force her mouth open that far.

Wheezer
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Wheezer »

Don't even try the 3M 94 primer on silicone, it will not work. It is for TPE only.
The silicone folks say good things about silipoxy, so I would stick with that.

For application try using a toothpick, small wire other home made tool to get just a small amount in to hold the teeth.
You might also post a thread like this is the ElsaBabe forum.
That would might give you some better answers from either the company or other doll owners.

Cheers!
... W ...
Any comments, ideas or suggestions are given FREELY for your use and information. Before using, first check to ensure they are compatible with your doll or specific situation. If any tool, chemical or technique is mentioned, make sure to follow all directions and safety instructions of the product. Some tools or items can be dangerous, so be careful. Use all appropriate safety gear, don’t run with scissors and don’t eat the yellow snow. Always keep your mind open.

bringiton23

Post by bringiton23 »

Wheezer wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:59 pm Don't even try the 3M 94 primer on silicone, it will not work. It is for TPE only.
The silicone folks say good things about silipoxy, so I would stick with that.

For application try using a toothpick, small wire other home made tool to get just a small amount in to hold the teeth.
You might also post a thread like this is the ElsaBabe forum.
That would might give you some better answers from either the company or other doll owners.

Cheers!
... W ...
Thanks for the warning. I've been talking with Norbud about it, who also mentioned silipoxy. Guess that's what I'll go with. I'll write back if it works out.

bringiton23

Post by bringiton23 »

No dice on the silipoxy. After 2 runs it held for a little while, but not enough surface area to make a strong bond. Only options I can think of now is to try melting it together with a soldering iron, or removing the teeth altogether. I wonder now if the hard teeth option would've been better... Maybe I can come up with some implants.

HappyWabbit
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by HappyWabbit »

A few link for info on teeth

viewtopic.php?t=162491

viewtopic.php?p=2324522&hilit=Elsa+babe ... e#p2324522

Use the search box in the upper right corner type in Elsa babe teeth glue
And 4 pages of info will pop up.
Also soldering irons are for TPE not Silicone Good luck

bringiton23

Post by bringiton23 »

HappyWabbit wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 9:45 am A few link for info on teeth

viewtopic.php?t=162491

viewtopic.php?p=2324522&hilit=Elsa+babe ... e#p2324522

Use the search box in the upper right corner type in Elsa babe teeth glue
And 4 pages of info will pop up.
Also soldering irons are for TPE not Silicone Good luck
Thanks for the links and info. In my case, there* isn't any hard or spiky glue like people talk about in those threads, only impressions from where the teeth were before. It's like the separation you see in dual-layer onaholes.
I tried using some silipoxy I had on hand, and that didn't work out.

Slowly getting to the point of not caring anymore, haha... After some consideration, I realize I only wanted to keep the teeth for looks. It wouldn't be that difficult to print or cast replacements. I'd just have to figure out how to implant them securely... Oh well. My current situation is that I'm not ready to have the head mounted on the body yet, so there's no rush.

Wheezer
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Wheezer »

Sorry to hear that silipoxy did not work in your application. There MAY be some options for teeth glue for the silicone head, but you need to test first.

To test I would get a flat and thin silicone baking sheet, trivet or something similar. Keep one side intact for testing and cut some chunks from of the other side to emulate "teeth".
Then you can test the following adhesives and see which one works best. Clean the target area well with isopropyl alcohol before testing.

One would be JB Weld steel filled epoxy. Mix a very tiny bit and let it catalyze for a short while. It will go from thin to thick then think again. Apply a bit with a toothpick to test your sample "teeth". The test item will need to be held in place while setting. Set up time is about 2-4 hours, full bond in about 12 hours.

Another is Gorilla Glue, the non-foaming version. Apply a bit to both parts, join them and mist with water to activate the glue. Hold in place while setting up, about 2-4 hours maximum.

Yet another is be super glue, the gel version would be best. Place bit on both parts and set in place. Then apply a bit of super glue accelerant, this will set the glue instantly. No wait time for this stuff.

All three will be "hard and spiky" when cured, the only question is which will work out best on the test piece and on the final teeth test.

Good luck and let us know the results.

Cheers!
... W ...

bringiton23

Post by bringiton23 »

Wheezer wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 2:30 pm Sorry to hear that silipoxy did not work in your application. There MAY be some options for teeth glue for the silicone head, but you need to test first.

To test I would get a flat and thin silicone baking sheet, trivet or something similar. Keep one side intact for testing and cut some chunks from of the other side to emulate "teeth".
Then you can test the following adhesives and see which one works best. Clean the target area well with isopropyl alcohol before testing.

One would be JB Weld steel filled epoxy. Mix a very tiny bit and let it catalyze for a short while. It will go from thin to thick then think again. Apply a bit with a toothpick to test your sample "teeth". The test item will need to be held in place while setting. Set up time is about 2-4 hours, full bond in about 12 hours.

Another is Gorilla Glue, the non-foaming version. Apply a bit to both parts, join them and mist with water to activate the glue. Hold in place while setting up, about 2-4 hours maximum.

Yet another is be super glue, the gel version would be best. Place bit on both parts and set in place. Then apply a bit of super glue accelerant, this will set the glue instantly. No wait time for this stuff.

All three will be "hard and spiky" when cured, the only question is which will work out best on the test piece and on the final teeth test.

Good luck and let us know the results.

Cheers!
... W ...
I have smoothon silipoxy, steel reinforced jb weld, gorilla brand gel superglue, e6000, and some off-brand construction adhesive, pvc primer/glue, as well as fabric adhesive and a glue stick for my printer to round out my glue shelf :lol:
I've never had much luck with the superglue on silicone or tpe; once it hardens it just peels apart again. I dont think jb weld is viable here since I don't have a way to secure it in that tight space short of me holding it by hand. I've had decent success with e6000 (used it to repair holes around feet bolts in the past). Might try that as a last resort before I decide to remove/replace them.

Wheezer
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Wheezer »

Well the major problem with a surface adhesive solution is ... well ... the surface.

Since TPE does contain non encapsulated oil it will leak a bit to the surface and degrade the bond. :(
And silicone does not really play well at all, most stuff will not stick to it.

JB weld MAY work, it you let it thicken a bit past its thin stage. I've used that to enhance metal TPE part molds. Let is get thick then apply. It will to an extent hold its form.
For the teeth I would put a wee bit in place, wait a bit then gently push in the teeth and WAIT. Not jam in but let them settle in.
You can also play a bit with resin to hardener ratio to slightly alter the thickness and curing time.
In your case you are not going for a high PSI holding strength, just to keep some teeth in. :)

But ... test first.
Cheers!
... W ...

bringiton23

Post by bringiton23 »

Smal update. According to my vendor, EB said super glue was the correct way to attach them. I didn't want to, but I'll try it later today.

Wheezer
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Wheezer »

That was a reasonable update.

In spite of what many folks think and feel about their dolls, they are really just mass produced sex toys.
Not rocket ships or unique works of art.

Thus when they make them the manufacturers use the most common and inexpensive items on hand.
When repairing them we need to look to common and available things, not necessarily excellent or exotic.

Just my two cents.
Cheers!
... W ...

bringiton23

Post by bringiton23 »

Wheezer wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 12:13 pm That was a reasonable update.

In spite of what many folks think and feel about their dolls, they are really just mass produced sex toys.
Not rocket ships or unique works of art.

Thus when they make them the manufacturers use the most common and inexpensive items on hand.
When repairing them we need to look to common and available things, not necessarily excellent or exotic.

Just my two cents.
Cheers!
... W ...
True, it's just liquefied material shot into a mold like the majority of plastic and metal products out there...

My gorilla gel superglue didn't work that well.
I cleaned it up and tried again with krazy glue, which has held the best bond so far albeit with the crusty bits left behind that others have reported.

Now that I know it works, I might try to remove and clean up the teeth and redo it with e6000 at a (much) later date. For those unfamilar, e6000 is similar to clear silicone caulk when cured, with a similar soft and rubbery feel to it, and I already know that it will bond as I mentioned previously. Just something to think about :whistle:

Anyways, they're in there. Thanks everyone for the helpful advice, and thanks to my vendor (siliconelovers) for getting in touch with EB.
:glou:

INFORMATIONS