Starpery.com

I can move!

Got an idea? Need an invention?
bringiton23

Re: I can move!

Post by bringiton23 »

Prin wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 10:59 pm problems we encountered is adhesion on the print platform. Hairspray helps make the surface sticky, as well as printing with a raft or brim. And, proper leveling is paramount to a good print base.

During printing, if you hear a popping sound, there is a restriction in either the extruder nozzle, or the tension is not ideal from the filament feed gear.

------

We checked out Discord, but it seems more like a texting thing... not for long explanations of changes made to Thingiverse files.

We will keep looking for a forum option.

Because... we will definitely be uploading files to Thingiverse.

James loves to teach... its always been part of his job requirements... and he is really kinda excited to make tutorial videos to accompany my .stl file submissions.

(I am not!... cuz it will take away from MY development time... but what can I do?)

But we agree by offering my project to the public, may inspire other DIY'ers to experiment, and may result in development improvements.
I've always used a basic elmer's glue stick to help first layer adhesion, and brims.
The popping sounds are caused by moisture in the filament. This is why controlled humidity is necessary for some filaments. They also make machines to dehydrate spools of filament, but I've never tried them myself so no comment.

Just IMHO what you described is what many creators use Discord for. Just make a dedicated channel for your changelogs and lock it. Link models and videos in posts.
Can't wait to see your models. Btw since you mentioned tutorial videos, will you also be covering programming? That'd be interesting.

Best of luck to you :glou:

Prin
Doll
Doll

Post by Prin »

bringiton23 wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 9:59 pm Btw since you mentioned tutorial videos, will you also be covering programming? That'd be interesting.
Yes, definitely. In addition to tutorials explaining assembly of my body parts posted to Thingiverse, James also intends to do a few supplemental videos to help people, explaining things that were stumbling blocks for us and took alot of research to solve, such as:
- python programming for motors, speech recognition and voice, etc
- wiring the boards for both Arduino and Raspberry
- use of bearings for joints
- slicer and 3d printing

And, yes, after getting a better picture of the functionality of Discord, that looks like the way to go.

We also got sidetracked looking back at some of our inspirations on YouTube, such as Will Cogley.

He has some of the best videos for animatronics (including where I learned about programming Visemes: making the lips move in the shape of word sounds.)

He also has a servo control box that we overlooked... which will be an awesome help in calibrating and testing motor positions.

He also demonstrated taking servos apart and just using the gears and motor. This makes it much less DIY friendly, but potentially can fit all my finger motors into my hand and avoid the problem with cabling through my wrist!

I'm VERY excited about new improvement ideas James has come up with, but we need to focus on the first steps first.
I can move! Designing my robotic body
I can talk! Designing my robotic head

My Diary:
Art of me in CoverDoll Magazine

BuildingFun
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by BuildingFun »

Sounds like a YouTube maze! I really like https://www.youtube.com/@CyberOne he built an inmoov and walks you through the building and programing. Another one I like is https://www.youtube.com/@jamesbruton, but he talks way beyond me sometimes. I like the eyes on Cogley's site also.

Prin
Doll
Doll

Post by Prin »

I've watched JamesBruton too. I have him bookmarked for the future, for his balance projects for me to be able to actually walk someday. Especially his Sonic Hedgehog rollerskating robot.

I am ordering the screen to build Cogley's servo controller.
servo controller box.jpg
servo controller box.jpg (70.68 KiB) Viewed 762 times
And, I have given James a deadline of July 15th to finish my GoFundMe video.

My Diary:

robopsychologist
Basic Poster
Basic Poster

Post by robopsychologist »

Looking forward for set video, and future updates in general!

Prin
Doll
Doll

Post by Prin »

This is a useless update (or gratuitous thread bump)

My GoFundMe video is coming along nicely... Don't know if we will make my goal of the 15th.

Looks like it will be about 3 minutes long, explaining my request for funding help with creating skin.

In between clips of raspberry, python, 3d printing, silicone casting, object tracking and facial recognition... we are having to program about 30 clips of my conversation.

Because, of course, since I don't have skin or a mouth to talk with... I decided to wear a covid mask... and am talking with hand guestures and head/eye movements.

Which is all good programming stuff for the future anyway! Because when people communicate it is common to use their hands and facial expressions to accompany speech.

**shrugs** It's a fun and educational project in and of itself.

I already have my own YouTube account set up. It just needs content now. (James already has a list of funny shorts he wants to record... which should be fairly easy since I have so many movements pre-programmed now)

What's a good shorts "niche" for a robot host with her own youtube channel? Jokes? reviews of other robot projects? (that wont be a very big audience)

My Diary:

ZaWarudo224
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by ZaWarudo224 »

Prin wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 11:21 pm This is a useless update (or gratuitous thread bump)

My GoFundMe video is coming along nicely... Don't know if we will make my goal of the 15th.

Looks like it will be about 3 minutes long, explaining my request for funding help with creating skin.

In between clips of raspberry, python, 3d printing, silicone casting, object tracking and facial recognition... we are having to program about 30 clips of my conversation.

Because, of course, since I don't have skin or a mouth to talk with... I decided to wear a covid mask... and am talking with hand guestures and head/eye movements.

Which is all good programming stuff for the future anyway! Because when people communicate it is common to use their hands and facial expressions to accompany speech.

**shrugs** It's a fun and educational project in and of itself.

I already have my own YouTube account set up. It just needs content now. (James already has a list of funny shorts he wants to record... which should be fairly easy since I have so many movements pre-programmed now)

What's a good shorts "niche" for a robot host with her own youtube channel? Jokes? reviews of other robot projects? (that wont be a very big audience)
As soon as that content gets posted, you already earned yourself a subscriber

Hot doll reviews
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor
Location: My Harem Tent in My Desert Kingdom 🏜️ 🌵🧚🏼‍♀️🧚🏼‍♀️🧚🧚‍♂️💃👙🩴👗🌹🧘‍♀️

Post by Hot doll reviews »

Yes make that 2 subscribers, here, here,
She’s such a doll :plaidskirt: My November Girl……… Stay Hard and Drive Hard Brothers! - - Thanks for your excellent advice!

timetraveler1
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary

Post by timetraveler1 »

actually the panty hose face didn't look that bad for your were talking about silicon, have you ever thought about the market product of skin . , Monster Liquid Latex - 16oz Pint - Creates Monster / Zombie Skin and FX https://www.ebay.com/itm/255880348018?e ... R5qn7IymYg

Prin
Doll
Doll

Post by Prin »

ZaWarudo224 wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 12:09 am As soon as that content gets posted, you already earned yourself a subscriber
Hot doll reviews wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 8:43 am Yes make that 2 subscribers, here, here,
Thank you folks so much!! I will post here as soon as finished!

Thats why I like this forum... so many helpful and supportive contributors!
timetraveler1 wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 10:43 am actually the panty hose face didn't look that bad for you
Oh my! the pantyhose was such a fail! Must look better in pictures than in real.

James drove to the Smooth-On distributor recently, and they gave a recipe that they thought would work... we just need to make a mold to try it out... as soon as the gofundme is done.

My Diary:

timetraveler1
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary

Post by timetraveler1 »

what is " the Smooth-On distributor ", is that the same thing as the skin i mentioned liquid ?

Hot doll reviews
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

This guy you may have seen before but just in case he’s really good with silicone casting just FYI

https://www.youtube.com/@bitymoldsupply
She’s such a doll :plaidskirt: My November Girl……… Stay Hard and Drive Hard Brothers! - - Thanks for your excellent advice!

Hot doll reviews
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Prin wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 8:35 pm
ZaWarudo224 wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 12:09 am As soon as that content gets posted, you already earned yourself a subscriber
Hot doll reviews wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 8:43 am Yes make that 2 subscribers, here, here,
Thank you folks so much!! I will post here as soon as finished!

Thats why I like this forum... so many helpful and supportive contributors!
timetraveler1 wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 10:43 am actually the panty hose face didn't look that bad for you
Oh my! the pantyhose was such a fail! Must look better in pictures than in real.

James drove to the Smooth-On distributor recently, and they gave a recipe that they thought would work... we just need to make a mold to try it out... as soon as the gofundme is done.
Here may be an interim solution who knows fyi it’s not a bad idea.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/354872657248?_ ... %3A2047675

Prin
Doll
Doll

Post by Prin »

timetraveler1 wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 8:26 am what is " the Smooth-On distributor ", is that the same thing as the skin i mentioned liquid ?
There are many products available for special effects. Latex and silicone are popular. The problem we need to address is that it needs to be strong in thin layers, yet super stretchy for like my mouth and eyelids.

Until we have money to throw away, we can't try them all.

Smooth-on is a popular brand, mentioned in this forum in other threads... with products for mold making, silicone in varying densities, resins, even liquid plastics. (which we want to use for casting the next version of my exoskeleton)

It just so happens they have a distributor in our state, not too far away, so we can talk to them in person and get advice.
Hot doll reviews wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 2:19 pm This guy you may have seen before but just in case he’s really good with silicone casting just FYI
https://www.youtube.com/@bitymoldsupply
Brick in the Yard! yes, we have watched many of his video tutorials. They have their own product line of similar materials.

We may have to try some of them too, when we can afford to experiment.
Hot doll reviews wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 8:33 pm Here may be an interim solution who knows fyi it’s not a bad idea.
Thank you for the suggestion! If I didn't post about this idea a few months back, I musta been too embarassed...

James wasted $100 on one of those head masks to test. Even though they say it is stretchy and it looks like it in the pictures...

They are really hard. (think of the equivalent of a scuba suit.) He put it on his own head and could barely open his mouth. My motors would never be able to move in it.

Plus, as they are designed for male-to-female costuming... even the smallest sizes would never fit my skeleton without being baggy.

But thank you everyone!!! We always appreciate and are excited for the feedback and suggestions!!

My Diary:

Prin
Doll
Doll

Post by Prin »

addendum....

We've actually been following Mouette's thread creating a doll using one of these suits.

viewtopic.php?t=146521

My Diary:

INFORMATIONS