Starpery.com

Robot Doll

Got an idea? Need an invention?
jedimembrain
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by jedimembrain »

Not really "lock" in place I just mean that when I apply force it will move but a simple tug wont move it. I will go to Home Depot today and see what I can find.

johnb

click

Post by johnb »

jedimembrain wrote:OK I made my first X-joint out of cardboard tubes just to test it out and I ran into a problem. I want the limbs to lock into position but to do that I need to put a griping mechanism of some type in them.
Since she's made to look like a robot, you could get away with having some kind of button or lever at the joint that you press to move the limb and release to lock the joint in place.

jedimembrain
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by jedimembrain »

Ha Ha finished... well almost. I have made my first arm... well almost. I have made the skeleton for it and I think it looks very cool. It moves in all the right places and as soon as I get the right rubber pad for the elbow ball bearings it will be able to lock in at all the moving joints perfectly!

tommy_tucker

Post by tommy_tucker »

Yeah Cool :) i can see how using castors will work on the joints. What are you using to connect the tubes to the wheels....epoxy?

jedimembrain
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by jedimembrain »

Just simple screws and then I used some hot glue over them not to hold tham in any way just to keep them from getting loose after time. It cost about $30 U.S. for the arm. I am working on the hand next. Then the other arm.

dachemist
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by dachemist »

Hi!, way coooooool project!

If you want, you could use your system with a tiny modification to be able to lock and move, you could use some magnets and "dirty oil" (kitchen oil with iron rust or iron fillings), if you mix oil and iron dust and use that to lube up (the joints :razz: ), it will act as a poor lube, the bearings in your rollers should keep it working, the magic comes when you stick a magnet near to this stuff, it solidifies (sort of), since this is a "homemade" fluid, you will need to use some strong magnets (like HD drive magnets) to get enough strength.

I don't remember exactly the proportions for rust to oil, but if my memory serves, it is about 1 spoon of rust to 3 of oil.

If you want to go this direction, try searching for magnetorheologic fluids on the good ole net.

BTW you should seal the bearings by whichever means you find suitable, because this thing is dirty and will stain all it touches!

for the hands, I can send you allso a linear actuator I have used and works well, if you don't mind some noise.

jedimembrain
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by jedimembrain »

A little to complex but thanks for the idea. All the joints lock but the elbow and I know what I need to do there. :)

dachemist
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by dachemist »

just triying to help!

please, post some more pics of the construction... I'd love to see a "Sorayama" type robot here.

(note Hajime Sorayama painted some Sexy Robots, one of the things I wish to see in real life before I die)[/img]

Technician
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by Technician »

I know this is kind of far off but I've seen mention of homemade pressure sensors on the fingertips of manipulators. The ESD foam that ICs come shipped in sandwiched between 2 pieces of copper clad board. As the foam gets compressed the resistance drops between the 2 pieces of copper clad. Again, there's no need to tell me you're not ready for that, but I'd forget it if I didn't post it. Perhaps that sort of sensor could be used to slow the movement of an arm as the joint reached full compression or extension. And the manipulators I mentioned before, being screw type they hold their position when not moving, so that could be a locking joint.

jedimembrain
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by jedimembrain »

Just a little update for anyone fallowing this. I have started work on the hand but got sidetracked by a little program called verbot :) . I think I will use this as the brain; I could hook my laptop up to a very small monitor possibly from a travel size DVD player and use a custom msagent on the verbot program on it.

Any ideas please feel free to post :).

timetraveler1
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary

thought about ultrahal ?

Post by timetraveler1 »

have you thought about ultrahal paid version with voice recognition and a custom made brain ? thats what i have in my a.i. french madem latex doll with wireless mic and speaker. mine works up to 300 feet away from the p.c. even through walls . the hal 6 version has brain plug ins like a loneliness plug in . and their is a beta version that has alot more things being added . just a thought :D i am wanting to if price isn't to crazy find a face recognition software to work with a web cam next !! i got this idea from seeing an old software that had it but was dos . :cry:

dachemist
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by dachemist »

Hi there!

I have read about some computers called "Gumstix", this gizmos are small computers (about the size of a chewing gum stick), but have the computer power of a 486, they run on linux and have specific ports (add on cards) for robotics, maybe you could use something like that to interface a real computer to your bronze godess?

how are you doing the hands?, in humans as well as in robots those are the hardest things to get working!

Think allso on how to drive the monitor, you'll need some wires for power and data for it, or an on board computer, and even LCD monitors use high voltage on the backlight, that can be dangerous unless you take proper messures.

congrats on your work!

INFORMATIONS