Starpery.com

Robot Doll

Got an idea? Need an invention?
jedimembrain
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Robot Doll

Post by jedimembrain »

Please understand before reading I do not actualy think I will make a fully robotic woman I am just looking to bring a little life to the dolls out there and at some point make a doll with an A.I. of sorts.

Hello there my fellow creators I would like to get some thoughts from you all about a project I have been thinking about over the last 20 years of my life but had no reason to peruse it tell I found this site. I have been working with a hobby in animatronics and puppetry for the last few years so I do Have a little experience but not to much making woman so that’s the big reason I am here and to get a little support so I don’t quit right off like some have. Please feel free to be critical but only if you are going to offer some advise in return.

I am thinking of making her look like a robot. Two reasons to make it look like a robot For one I have always dreamed about making it with a robot and for two making a robot look like a robot is a lot easier then making a robot look like a sexy woman. So I will make her look like a sexy robot.

Here is the pics so far-http://www.dollforum.com/modules.php?na ... &cat=28037

I was thinking some type of a track or linear actuator could be used for the up and down hand movements. Or maybe even a rotational track movement powered by an electric motor but that might make it to weak and any electric motor that would be strong enough to power it with a good amount of force would be huge or way out of pocket rang.

I haven’t yet picked a driving force for the hand grasping mechanism. An electric motor that would have enough power would be too big and the same goes for any air or fluid type of force. Maybe another actuator? Not that actuators are that cheap. Does anyone know how to build an actuator? I would assume that you could turn a basic electric motor into one somehow.

I was thinking to give the robot a little bit of a friendly felling I would use some tutorials I found to hack a furby and change what it says and the voice. I would make the voice more robotic so that you wouldn’t feel like you wear being sexual with some retarded creature but just being sexual with a stupid robot chick witch to me seems a little better.

I don’t plan on making her fully animatronic at all! just enough that she is some what convincing.

I know I drew wires on the frame pic but ther will be no movement.
I plan on making the out side out of foam and useing sillicone for the breasts and sexual regions.

johnb

hands

Post by johnb »

You could put springs on the front of the finger joints, so the "at rest" hand position is closed, but there would still be some give if you wanted her to hold something. And run a cable down the back of the finger and pull on it to open the hand. You just need a motor with enough pull to beat the spring, and you can put the motor anywhere you can run the cable to like a bicycle brake line.

jedimembrain
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by jedimembrain »

thats what I was going to do but to feel good on contact it would have to be strong. I am still looking into air powered grasps but refill time is rather long.

heres a new photo shop pic of what Iam going to have her look like.

I am much better at drawing trust me this is a quick one.

tommy_tucker

real robot doll

Post by tommy_tucker »

Over 20 years, its about time you got your fascinating idea materalizing. Seems like a challenge to me as its no simple project to undertake. My motto is keep it simple as possible in the design stage so when its time to build your not left doubting if you have bit off more than you can chew, if you know what i mean.

Please update us if you make any progress

lovrmakr1

Post by lovrmakr1 »

So it looks like the face could be an oval lcd screen to display any programmed animated interactive human female/male face of
your likeing? :idea:
Go ahead.....make my Doll!

tommy_tucker

Post by tommy_tucker »

How about using a small tft screen for her face if you can find one the right shape, You can fit a small dell latitude laptop in her back to hookup to the screen, you then have endless possibilities for facial expressions and sound etc..

There's me saying keep if simple :roll:

tommy_tucker

Post by tommy_tucker »

lovrmakr1 wrote:So it looks like the face could be an oval lcd screen to display any programmed animated interactive human female/male face of
your likeing? :idea:
:cry: You beat me to it

Edit:

You can get a round lcd screen look here:

http://www.geeks.com/pix/wootlp.htm

jedimembrain
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by jedimembrain »

The only thing real complex is the amount on foam that needs to be shaped and the X-joints I have to make by hand. Otherwise I think the rest is just weekend work. I think I will start with the frame then the foam body and all the artistic stuff. Then I will ad the mechanics as I go day to day or month to month. I will begin work on the test X-joints today and show you all the pics as I go.

lovrmakr1

Post by lovrmakr1 »

Wife or girlfriend is away from home,she calls on a video phone,you patch the call over to the doll simulator because you happen to be doing the robot thing,her face appears on the dolls face screen,she asks why you look funny,you say "just give me that sexy look you know I like and talk dirty to me",either...A-..She says "not again"and hangs up or B-..Gives you your just deserts :D .

jedimembrain
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by jedimembrain »

OK I made my first X-joint out of cardboard tubes just to test it out and I ran into a problem. I want the limbs to lock into position but to do that I need to put a griping mechanism of some type in them. My camera charging cable is nowhere to be found so I made these on my computer. I will get some pics of the real ones as soon as I can find my cable.

This is a 3d image I made to show you guys what an X-joint is in case you don’t know what I am talking about. It has the same movement as a ball and socket joint but with a lot less problems.

This is my first idea about how to overcome this problem. It’s a snapping kind of joint but this would be really hard to make and it would be even harder to make five of them.

This one is just a piece of foam I tried but I am worried the foam will wear out quickly and I don’t want that.

If you have any ideas please let me know.

Nonfactor
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Nonfactor »

Wouldn't it be easier to just use two chain links instead of that assembly? I think chainlinks would also be able to bear more weight as that X thing looks like it'd break easily.

jedimembrain
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by jedimembrain »

If you are talking about what I think you are I would have no control to make it stay in place. Please explain what you mean by chain link joint? and about the strength, I know this looks weak but the real one looks and is much stronger

Technician
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by Technician »

jedimembrain, as far as actuators go.....if you want light and powerful you could consider making screw type linear actuators. I fiddle in robotics a bit and have been meaning to try threading small PCV pipe and nylon blocks with pipe dies and taps (aggressive threads) there are some very powerful little gearbox motors available at the electronics surplus places to turn them. They would be slow, but powerful and light. Moreover, 2 of them could be used opposit each other to move a joint that has a central fulcrum and then they could be designed a little weaker and less powerful. Pneumatic cylinders can also be purchased with some very small bores and long strokes, with a fairly large pressurized tank and a small on-board compressor something could be constructed. The compresser would have some time to re-fill the tank between movements. I just don't know if I'd enjoy doing "the nasty" with a partner who sounded like a printing press, I'll keep my girls the way I like them for now..............QUIET.........the biggest advantage over real girls.

jedimembrain
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by jedimembrain »

thanks for the info Badaddy266 I will think about that when I start working on the eletronics.

I was thinking about mixing my idea for the Visor face with a cyborskin mouth in it.

lovrmakr1

Post by lovrmakr1 »

Joint move freely but lock when you want?

Maybe a DC electromagnetic clutch on each pivot.
Would be good for poseing but to support weight
they would need to be too large to be attractively
contained within the x-o skell.
Then maybe you like knobby knees n elbows :D

INFORMATIONS