Starpery.com

Repairing hands? TPE doll what glue to use?

Ding! POP! Crash! Thud! oops...let's get her all fixed up!
Beardy79
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Repairing hands? TPE doll what glue to use?

Post by Beardy79 »

I've ordered a sample of 3m primer to test out, but are there alternatives, as it seems quite costly in the UK?

Beardy79
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Beardy79 »

3M is eays to find everywhere.... I bought 3M from UK last week for nothing cost...[/quote]

Have you got a link you can share? I've ordered a small sample to test it first but if it works I'll definitely order more.

bigchilli
TDF Staff Alumni
TDF Staff Alumni

Post by bigchilli »

Bout a fiver in the uk
You only use a drop or two

Here you go

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3M-Tape-Prim ... ect=mobile

Beardy79
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Beardy79 »

bigchilli wrote:Bout a fiver in the uk
You only use a drop or two

Here you go

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3M-Tape-Prim ... ect=mobile

Thank you, that's the one I bought to test haha.

Arthur1960
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary

Post by Arthur1960 »

Yeah, that's where I got my 3m Primer 94 from. Those 10ml bottles will last ages for doing simple repairs. I put about 3mls into a small bottle with a brush in the lid and then do the lid up tight on the original bottle and wrap a bit of tape around the lid so it can't evaporate off.

Beardy79
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Beardy79 »

If a major whole has appeared in the tpe in the hand, I suppose to fill it is get a piece of matching (or near as can be) tpe to fill in and use the paste mixture?

Arthur1960
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary

Post by Arthur1960 »

Beardy79 wrote:If a major whole has appeared in the tpe in the hand, I suppose to fill it is get a piece of matching (or near as can be) tpe to fill in and use the paste mixture?
Yes to get a good match you can always cut a little tpe from the neck which won't show when the head is on. I've made a tpe paste with the 3m Primer which worked really well but you need to cut the tpe into very, very tiny slithers for the best result then add a few drops of Primer and keep mixing until you get a thickish consistency. Small medicine bottles with a wide opening and tight fitting lid are good for mixing and storing the paste. Once mixed you need to leave it overnight then check to see if a drop more Primer or more tpe is needed. If you get it just right then it works a charm, I've filled small holes etc with it and it's held. For deep holes you need to do a bit at a time to build up the thickness.

Beardy79
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Beardy79 »

Arthur1960 wrote:
Beardy79 wrote:If a major whole has appeared in the tpe in the hand, I suppose to fill it is get a piece of matching (or near as can be) tpe to fill in and use the paste mixture?
Yes to get a good match you can always cut a little tpe from the neck which won't show when the head is on. I've made a tpe paste with the 3m Primer which worked really well but you need to cut the tpe into very, very tiny slithers for the best result then add a few drops of Primer and keep mixing until you get a thickish consistency. Small medicine bottles with a wide opening and tight fitting lid are good for mixing and storing the paste. Once mixed you need to leave it overnight then check to see if a drop more Primer or more tpe is needed. If you get it just right then it works a charm, I've filled small holes etc with it and it's held. For deep holes you need to do a bit at a time to build up the thickness.
Any recommendations for toughening the feet up? She's got very rough feet recently.

Arthur1960
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary

Post by Arthur1960 »

Hi, well if the bottom of the feet have become damaged then they are easily smoothed over with heat. To prevent damage its important to ensure the foot bolts are set right, about 1/4" proud of the tpe and always have your gal standing in good fitting shoes, trainers are ideal.

nicvncnt
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by nicvncnt »

Arthur1960 wrote:Hi, well if the bottom of the feet have become damaged then they are easily smoothed over with heat. To prevent damage its important to ensure the foot bolts are set right, about 1/4" proud of the tpe and always have your gal standing in good fitting shoes, trainers are ideal.
Good advice. I replaced Sam's narrow factory-fitted bolts with large-headed coach bolts as soon as she arrived. She's coming up to 3 years with me now and has almost no foot damage (although she does spend a lot of time on her back so that probably helps too :lol: )

seagull
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by seagull »

Spending a lot of time on her back obviously has helped you also :)

nicvncnt
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by nicvncnt »

seagull wrote:Spending a lot of time on her back obviously has helped you also :)
Well, we make a good team. :)

justintime
Doll Patriarch
Doll Patriarch

Post by justintime »

Thought I would add this ,in case you have not seen it.
That heat gun can be bought on ebay I have one. Comes with many tips , for focused heat.

“Put … the Doll … down … and slowly back away.”
Shelby My Piece Of Heaven
Shelby Model Information

seagull
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by seagull »

Dayam! That is impressive :)

Beardy79
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Beardy79 »

I've got a heat gun for stripping wallpaper, would that be suitable? It is a 2000w with two settings. I tried it on the bottom of her feet and it started splitting more so I stopped. I dabbed some baby oil before I started. I'm using it in well ventilated area and wore a facemask and goggles.

INFORMATIONS