Starpery.com

Minor finger repair, advice needed...

Ding! POP! Crash! Thud! oops...let's get her all fixed up!
MF_Thatherton
Active Poster
Active Poster

Minor finger repair, advice needed...

Post by MF_Thatherton »

Hey, all. Did a tiny bit of finger damage... while posing her finger, I used force a little too far from the joint, which resulted in me bending the silicone instead of the skeleton, and it partially detached her fingernail. It's minor enough that it's not visible unless you touch the fingernail, but if you do touch it, the nail will lift, and there's a very tiny bit of skeleton exposed.

This is my first repair (I'm a newbie), so I'm wondering how best to address it. As I said, the doll is silicone. What is the best way to repair this so that it holds well? What time of glue, how much so that it is a strong bond but doesn't leak out of her fingernail and look sloppy, and whatever else I'm not thinking of.

Thanks!

MinniMagg

Re: Minor finger repair, advice needed...

Post by MinniMagg »

I have not used it on a Silicone based doll but for my TPE based ones I followed one of the other people on the TDF Board. And that was to SPARINGLY use Loctite Superglue Gel.

I put ONE DROP on a piece of way paper and then dip a toothpick in the drop to scoup up some of the superglue. The place it under the nail and do a quick "Press and release. "IF" any excess superglue comes out, use another toothpick to get it off the hand or nail. Be aware that time is against you!

If there is no 'extra', press and hold the mail down fora minute and then check the bond. You can always put some in the sides so don't think you only have one chance! That is, if you use it sparingly! It's best to do the top and then add some under the sides if needed.

The wooden toothpick gives you a lot of control.... Don't just 'squirt' a drop under the fingernail as it will be WAY TOO MUCH! As does having a drop of superglue on the wax paper. Just go slow. You can always move the un-bonded area of the fingernail up, or finger material down to add more superglue. The 'Gel' if nice as it's not a runny liquid like normal superglue. And GO SLOW!

This process works great for eyelashes too! At least on TPE dolls. Tack down one end by putting a drop from the toothpick on the eyelid, and then position the eyelid with the help of a pair of tweezers. Then add a drop 25% of the way across and position the eyelid with the tweezers, then in the middle, and finally the end. Again... be patient and plan your action. Using these small drops, it you screw up of want to change the eyelashes they 'may' de-bond if you take the eye out, or stretch the dolls eyelid. If not just tug at the eyelashes and using a VERY sharp X-acto knife or razor blade (My favorite), cut the small ares of the eyelid where the bond it hanging on.

And just to remind you.... DON'T TOUCH ANYWHERE WITH SUPERGLUE on it! It WILL bond your finger to it instantly (Yeh... I did!)

I'll wait for someone with s doll make of Silicone to chime in if I'm giving you the wrong glue to use. Just use the glue sparingly! and repeat!

MF_Thatherton
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by MF_Thatherton »

MinniMagg wrote:I have not used it on a Silicone based doll but for my TPE based ones I followed one of the other people on the TDF Board. And that was to SPARINGLY use Loctite Superglue Gel.

I put ONE DROP on a piece of way paper and then dip a toothpick in the drop to scoup up some of the superglue. The place it under the nail and do a quick "Press and release. "IF" any excess superglue comes out, use another toothpick to get it off the hand or nail. Be aware that time is against you!

If there is no 'extra', press and hold the mail down fora minute and then check the bond. You can always put some in the sides so don't think you only have one chance! That is, if you use it sparingly! It's best to do the top and then add some under the sides if needed.

The wooden toothpick gives you a lot of control.... Don't just 'squirt' a drop under the fingernail as it will be WAY TOO MUCH! As does having a drop of superglue on the wax paper. Just go slow. You can always move the un-bonded area of the fingernail up, or finger material down to add more superglue. The 'Gel' if nice as it's not a runny liquid like normal superglue. And GO SLOW!

This process works great for eyelashes too! At least on TPE dolls. Tack down one end by putting a drop from the toothpick on the eyelid, and then position the eyelid with the help of a pair of tweezers. Then add a drop 25% of the way across and position the eyelid with the tweezers, then in the middle, and finally the end. Again... be patient and plan your action. Using these small drops, it you screw up of want to change the eyelashes they 'may' de-bond if you take the eye out, or stretch the dolls eyelid. If not just tug at the eyelashes and using a VERY sharp X-acto knife or razor blade (My favorite), cut the small ares of the eyelid where the bond it hanging on.

And just to remind you.... DON'T TOUCH ANYWHERE WITH SUPERGLUE on it! It WILL bond your finger to it instantly (Yeh... I did!)

I'll wait for someone with s doll make of Silicone to chime in if I'm giving you the wrong glue to use. Just use the glue sparingly! and repeat!

Very used to cyanoacrylic gel from gluing coral frags to my reef. I have a bottle of acetate on hand at all times due to the frequency of gluing my fingers together.

HappyWabbit
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by HappyWabbit »

For silicone repairs Sil-Poxy use sparingly apply a tiny bit with toothpick. Make sure no air gets in when putting lid back on Sil-Poxy tube so it won’t dry out.

MF_Thatherton
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by MF_Thatherton »

HappyWabbit wrote:For silicone repairs Sil-Poxy use sparingly apply a tiny bit with toothpick. Make sure no air gets in when putting lid back on Sil-Poxy tube so it won’t dry out.
Thanks. Ordered a small tube... that stuff is not cheap.

Booty Call Dolls
VENDOR
VENDOR

Post by Booty Call Dolls »

Hi,
What brand?
Some that work on a doll sweet for example will not work on a SINO.
That includes sil poxy
Sil poxy will work on most dolls though
http://dolldesire.com/
. One vendor name kept coming up as being great at helping customers walk through the process, Booty Call Dolls. So I decided I would work with them on this first purchase, and did.
-princeoverit
You could not of found a better person to help you with your first doll. Jeff /Booty call dolls, knows his stuff... One of the few members that is a vendor and a real lover of dolls. He owns quite a few dolls, and really understands the love we all share.
-Just in time

MF_Thatherton
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by MF_Thatherton »

Booty Call Dolls wrote:Hi,
What brand?
Some that work on a doll sweet for example will not work on a SINO.
That includes sil poxy
Sil poxy will work on most dolls though
It's a Doll Sweet Summit 152.

phillip57
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by phillip57 »

MF_Thatherton wrote:
HappyWabbit wrote:For silicone repairs Sil-Poxy use sparingly apply a tiny bit with toothpick. Make sure no air gets in when putting lid back on Sil-Poxy tube so it won’t dry out.
Thanks. Ordered a small tube... that stuff is not cheap.
Not cheap. but the very best option. Make sure the cap is snug. If you try to make it too tight, it's possible to strip the treads in
the cap or snap the top off of the bottom half. If some of the silpoxy is smeared on the doll, use a rag with acetone to wipe it off.
I remove the cap once a month or two to remove any silpixy that may have set up in the opening of the tube so it doesn't seal itself.

Phil

INFORMATIONS