Starpery.com

Doll head stands; buy or DIY?

Ding! POP! Crash! Thud! oops...let's get her all fixed up!
Lorna-+DD

Doll head stands; buy or DIY?

Post by Lorna-+DD »

For WM doll heads if that makes a difference. I see some for sale but if I knew the bolt screw diameter & thread pitch I can probably make my own. Anyone have any input? I don't mind buying premade if the price is not too high. So, recommendations or suggestions please. :?:
You're traveling through another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound but of mind. A journey into a wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagination. That's the signpost up ahead - your next stop, the Twilight Zone!

Arthur1960
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary

Re: Doll head stands; buy or DIY?

Post by Arthur1960 »

Much cheaper to make your own. I've knocked up 4 using material I got off ebay for about £8 each. I used a round piece of wood (chopping board) for the base, drilled it and bolted some threaded stud onto it then stuck 4 rubber feet underneath. I can now just screw any head onto the threaded rod, handy for storing spare heads and doing makeup.

The Romantic
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by The Romantic »

M16 bolt.
"Romance is the glamour which turns the dust of everyday life into a golden haze."

Leatherman
Ex-Member

Post by Leatherman »

Made these today.

All galvanized plumbing parts from Home Depot.

6x6x1/2” PVC base.
3/8” floor flange.
6” - 3/8 pipe.
3/8” coupling.

Top with a 1” furniture felt pad with a 5/8” hole punched in center.

Lorna-+DD

Post by Lorna-+DD »

Leatherman, nice looking job. Ya I can do that easily. SO the head fits without the factory bolt attached, you are just using the hole in the doll head to mount on the pipe?
You're traveling through another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound but of mind. A journey into a wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagination. That's the signpost up ahead - your next stop, the Twilight Zone!

Leatherman
Ex-Member

Post by Leatherman »

Lorna-+DD wrote:Leatherman, nice looking job. Ya I can do that easily. SO the head fits without the factory bolt attached, you are just using the hole in the doll head to mount on the pipe?

Kickmandato

Post by Kickmandato »

Nice tip, Home Depot shopping this week...
I can’t help myself

seagull
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by seagull »

Surprising what stuff can be used for dolls :)

Lorna-+DD

Post by Lorna-+DD »

OK that makes sense, time to order some more doll head connectors LOL.

Zippy81
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Zippy81 »

DIY!

Ksona56
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Ksona56 »

Nice need to make some myself for the spare head going to take a nice piece of oak firewood and cut it to size stain it and then mount the bolts on top should be a simple job. I'll have to post pics once they are done

Kickmandato

Post by Kickmandato »

So I did a slight modification to these stands. I used a 1/2” base and 1/2” sch40 pvc threaded nipple. For the top I am using a 1/2” slip/ thread cupeling. I inserted a pice of sch40 pvc onto the cupeling and cut it flush. A felt pad was put on top and I cut the hole out. The head post are a perfect tit to the pvc.
D12C4AAB-2250-4DAC-8F6F-86BAEDBF267F.jpeg
D12C4AAB-2250-4DAC-8F6F-86BAEDBF267F.jpeg (767.74 KiB) Viewed 813 times
I don’t like metal on metal so the 1/2” pvc is great for that. I may swap out the plastic nipple for steal but for now it works great.
CDC5CB39-C6C7-4657-8E80-FFEEB4F1F1BA.jpeg
CDC5CB39-C6C7-4657-8E80-FFEEB4F1F1BA.jpeg (527.65 KiB) Viewed 813 times
75F317AF-1581-4F7B-9DA4-3F2E7875E21C.jpeg
75F317AF-1581-4F7B-9DA4-3F2E7875E21C.jpeg (585.74 KiB) Viewed 813 times
I can’t help myself

mollyoh

Post by mollyoh »

Leatherman wrote:Made these today.

6x6x1/2” PVC base.
3/8” floor flange.
6” - 3/8 pipe.
3/8” coupling.

Thanks for the inspiration Leatherman, I love a nice DIY project :)

I was a bit stumped by the "6x6x1/2 PVC". The closest I could find at Lowes/HD was PVC trim board that was 3/4 " thick by 5.5" by 8 foot long... and cost over 20 bucks.
So I improvised and grabbed a cheap white laminate shelf. 24" by 8" by .625" ..... $5 :)
This type of shelving has four finished edges (no jaggedy particle board showing), but I didnt want a 2 foot long head stand.
So I cut off an eight inch section using my cordless circular saw and used some leftover white "iron on edge banding" from a previous shelving project to give it a nice edge

The hardest part of this project ? Trying to cut/drill/carve a hole in the dang felt pad! How did you guys do this ????

Oh, and don't forget to grab some screws ! The holes in the flange are quite large so you'll need at least a #10 screw with a sheet metal head. Probably 1/2" ? Fortunately I had some #10x3/4" screws in my random collection of screws. These were slightly too big for the shelf and cracked thru the bottom just a little bit but I was planning to put some felt feet on the underside of the stand anyway.

I took some pics too. if anyone's interested , I can post

seagull
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by seagull »

mollyoh
Felt pad, use a Wad punch :)

Leatherman
Ex-Member

Post by Leatherman »

mollyoh wrote:
Leatherman wrote:Made these today.

6x6x1/2” PVC base.
3/8” floor flange.
6” - 3/8 pipe.
3/8” coupling.

Thanks for the inspiration Leatherman, I love a nice DIY project :)

I was a bit stumped by the "6x6x1/2 PVC". The closest I could find at Lowes/HD was PVC trim board that was 3/4 " thick by 5.5" by 8 foot long... and cost over 20 bucks.
So I improvised and grabbed a cheap white laminate shelf. 24" by 8" by .625" ..... $5 :)
This type of shelving has four finished edges (no jaggedy particle board showing), but I didnt want a 2 foot long head stand.
So I cut off an eight inch section using my cordless circular saw and used some leftover white "iron on edge banding" from a previous shelving project to give it a nice edge

The hardest part of this project ? Trying to cut/drill/carve a hole in the dang felt pad! How did you guys do this ????

Oh, and don't forget to grab some screws ! The holes in the flange are quite large so you'll need at least a #10 screw with a sheet metal head. Probably 1/2" ? Fortunately I had some #10x3/4" screws in my random collection of screws. These were slightly too big for the shelf and cracked thru the bottom just a little bit but I was planning to put some felt feet on the underside of the stand anyway.

I took some pics too. if anyone's interested , I can post
Yes! Let’s see your stands.

*** I have a gasket punch set. Sizes 3/16 to 1 inch.

INFORMATIONS