Starpery.com

TPE stain test with 10 garments

Ding! POP! Crash! Thud! oops...let's get her all fixed up!
Oftenwrong

Re: TPE stain test with 10 garments

Post by Oftenwrong »

banlu wrote:thank you for this, may i ask if i plan to buy spandex catsuit for my doll, let's say if it's all black and i wash until it doesn't drop the color in the water anymore, would it still stain the doll ?
Probably not a good way to see if color dye is still coming out of the fabric, I mean old jeans for example lose color until they are worn out shreds but you can't see it in the wash water. Lots of variables pointed out in the tests that make it impossible to know if any piece of clothing is 100% safe without testing, like the thread that holds it all together. On the face of it, any fabric that loses color in the wash is probably never good no matter how many times it's washed.

my.02

BrnH
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by BrnH »

@banlu: yes, it would still stain the doll. Colorants come in 3 types: 1 group dissolves only in water, 1 group dissolves in organic solvents like acetone and 1 group dissolves only in oil. So you will wash out colorants from the first group, that dissolve in water. The other groups hate water and will not dissolve in it. So you will not wash them out, the colorants will remain in the catsuit and can still be dissolved in the oil coming from your dolls' TPE.

There are some things you can do however. Put a bottom of baby oil in a small glass and put the outer end of a sleeve from the catsuit in it. Leave overnight. Put some plastic foil underneath as the oil will be absorbed in the sleeve and can spill. If the oil is colored the next day (hold a white piece of paper under the glass) then the catsuit will stain your doll. Another idea is to bring a small piece of the inside of the catsuit into contact with a piece of TPE. If you don't have a piece TPE then test may be with the sole of your dolls' foot to see if it stains. This approach is probably even better than soaking in baby oil. Both procedures only test if your catsuit stains, they do not remove the colorant from the catsuit.

I can tell you it will stain eventually if it is fully black, but what counts is how fast it stains. What you want to find out is if you can keep the catsuit on your doll safely for just 10 minutes or for an hour. The first case will allow only for taking a few pictures, the latter for more fun. I would personally say: NEVER leave a black catsuit on your doll for more than an hour or so.

The next solution is not based on my personal experience, but I picked it up here at TDF:
You can buy catsuits made of nylon, the same material used for ladies stockings and as elastic as well (see like Amazon, Aliexpress etc.) Buy a white or skin colored one and put it on your doll. Then put the black catsuit over it. Be careful to always have the nylon catsuit underneath the black catsuit, especially at the wrists or ankles. The thin nylon catsuit provides some protection now. This can allow for longer fun, but I still would advise against keeping it on for more then a few hours.

Take care and success!!

Oftenwrong

Post by Oftenwrong »

BrnH wrote: Colorants come in 3 types: 1 group dissolves only in water, 1 group dissolves in organic solvents like acetone and 1 group dissolves only in oil. So you will wash out colorants from the first group, that dissolve in water. The other groups hate water and will not dissolve in it. So you will not wash them out, the colorants will remain in the catsuit and can still be dissolved in the oil coming from your dolls' TPE.

!
You did mention that the 100% polyester in black didn't stain, right? I brought this up in my own thread a couple weeks ago as the only fabric I know of that seems truly "colorfast".

Would you recommend, if it can be verified, that a colored garment that is 100% polyester in its entirety without any coatings, can be put on TPE indefinitely? This one hour stuff I would imagine is a non starter for most of us.

banlu
Basic Poster
Basic Poster

Post by banlu »

Oftenwrong wrote:
Probably not a good way to see if color dye is still coming out of the fabric, I mean old jeans for example lose color until they are worn out shreds but you can't see it in the wash water. Lots of variables pointed out in the tests that make it impossible to know if any piece of clothing is 100% safe without testing, like the thread that holds it all together. On the face of it, any fabric that loses color in the wash is probably never good no matter how many times it's washed.

my.02
BrnH wrote:@banlu: yes, it would still stain the doll. Colorants come in 3 types: 1 group dissolves only in water, 1 group dissolves in organic solvents like acetone and 1 group dissolves only in oil. So you will wash out colorants from the first group, that dissolve in water. The other groups hate water and will not dissolve in it. So you will not wash them out, the colorants will remain in the catsuit and can still be dissolved in the oil coming from your dolls' TPE.

There are some things you can do however. Put a bottom of baby oil in a small glass and put the outer end of a sleeve from the catsuit in it. Leave overnight. Put some plastic foil underneath as the oil will be absorbed in the sleeve and can spill. If the oil is colored the next day (hold a white piece of paper under the glass) then the catsuit will stain your doll. Another idea is to bring a small piece of the inside of the catsuit into contact with a piece of TPE. If you don't have a piece TPE then test may be with the sole of your dolls' foot to see if it stains. This approach is probably even better than soaking in baby oil. Both procedures only test if your catsuit stains, they do not remove the colorant from the catsuit.

I can tell you it will stain eventually if it is fully black, but what counts is how fast it stains. What you want to find out is if you can keep the catsuit on your doll safely for just 10 minutes or for an hour. The first case will allow only for taking a few pictures, the latter for more fun. I would personally say: NEVER leave a black catsuit on your doll for more than an hour or so.

The next solution is not based on my personal experience, but I picked it up here at TDF:
You can buy catsuits made of nylon, the same material used for ladies stockings and as elastic as well (see like Amazon, Aliexpress etc.) Buy a white or skin colored one and put it on your doll. Then put the black catsuit over it. Be careful to always have the nylon catsuit underneath the black catsuit, especially at the wrists or ankles. The thin nylon catsuit provides some protection now. This can allow for longer fun, but I still would advise against keeping it on for more then a few hours.

Take care and success!!
Thank you sirs

INFORMATIONS